Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
keysersoze

Oktoberfest greetings from Munich

This Saturday, the annual Oktoberfest (Beerfest) started in Munich. You can go there bei either subway or tram - I prefer, of course, tram.

Route 19 is a major east-west tram line in Munich. For Oktoberfest weekends, some of Munich's oldest cars are out - type "P", built in 1967. After 42 years of reliable service, these cars still look bright and shiny:

200909190056.jpg

Note the two banners above the windshield. The blue one for MVG (Munich TA), the black/yellow one for the city of Munich. Shown here at the Eastern terminus of the line; the ride to Oktoberfest would take 30 minutes from here.

200909190023.jpg

This bus represents the oldest Munich bus fleet - Mercedes-Benz O405N, built in 1993/1994. These buses are soon to be gone. Note the P-type tram again in the background.

Darn. I'll be leaving for Europe on Wednesday morning for a week and I tried my best to schedule a trip to Munich for the Oktoberfest, but logistically (plane or train) it'll be very difficult. I'll have to settle for Cologne instead unless I can pull something off.

Thanks everybody for your comments!

I got some more:

200909260087.jpg

P-type tram along Berg-am-Laim-Street in my neighborhood.

200909190010.jpg

Interior of a P-type car. These cars have never been rebuilt, so they basically look the same as in 1967. Note the girls dressed up for Oktoberfest to the left :(

kopievon200909260082.jpg

One of Munich's newest buses - a MAN Lion's City low-floor 3-door bus.