Oktoberfest greetings from Munich

keysersoze

This Saturday, the annual Oktoberfest (Beerfest) started in Munich. You can go there bei either subway or tram - I prefer, of course, tram.

Route 19 is a major east-west tram line in Munich. For Oktoberfest weekends, some of Munich's oldest cars are out - type "P", built in 1967. After 42 years of reliable service, these cars still look bright and shiny:

200909190056.jpg

Note the two banners above the windshield. The blue one for MVG (Munich TA), the black/yellow one for the city of Munich. Shown here at the Eastern terminus of the line; the ride to Oktoberfest would take 30 minutes from here.

200909190023.jpg

This bus represents the oldest Munich bus fleet - Mercedes-Benz O405N, built in 1993/1994. These buses are soon to be gone. Note the P-type tram again in the background.

Darn. I'll be leaving for Europe on Wednesday morning for a week and I tried my best to schedule a trip to Munich for the Oktoberfest, but logistically (plane or train) it'll be very difficult. I'll have to settle for Cologne instead unless I can pull something off.

Thanks everybody for your comments!

I got some more:

200909260087.jpg

P-type tram along Berg-am-Laim-Street in my neighborhood.

200909190010.jpg

Interior of a P-type car. These cars have never been rebuilt, so they basically look the same as in 1967. Note the girls dressed up for Oktoberfest to the left :(

kopievon200909260082.jpg

One of Munich's newest buses - a MAN Lion's City low-floor 3-door bus.

Archived