R32s Will Go On The (A) While R46s will be on the (C)

Daniel The Cool

i too would not be surprised if the 32s retire on the (B). think about it. the (B) runs weekdays only and with the GO the service ends at around 930 pm. itll give lees strain on an aging fleet during its last days. I too will miss the 32s. Not because of the RFW, but as a rider who has enjoyed seeing them jump like jackrabbits for 19 years!

I know LOL. But he loves the 68s so we lets convert it B) B)

But its a jk! Leave the R32s where they at NOW!

NO...we shall convert PA-2, 3 and 4's to work in NYC Subway, and put them all on the (A) B)

Leave the current (A)(C) configuration alone.

didnt they stop sending 160as to ENY? Are they resuming with new orders?

They got 340 cars built in 4-car sets in the base order, which replaced most of the R42s. They have 50 R42s left, and 32 R160As will go to ENY to replace those, likely at the end of the R160A order.

17-I-lol.jpg

Yes

They should keep one R32, R38, R40, R40M, R42 to run as vintage special.

That is already being done. The museum has set aside one of each car class. I don't know what the numbers are nor do I care, it has been discussed here many times before. Also, aside from the occasional move around the system, there is no need to run a nostalgia special with them for a few years since several are STILL in service.

That is already being done. The museum has set aside one of each car class. I don't know what the numbers are nor do I care, it has been discussed here many times before. Also, aside from the occasional move around the system, there is no need to run a nostalgia special with them for a few years since several are STILL in service.

I wonder how is the (MTA) gonna keep these stored. They have loads of old cars.. The more they keep the less room yards will have for filling. I think soon a new yard is needed..

I wonder how is the (MTA) gonna keep these stored. They have loads of old cars.. The more they keep the less room yards will have for filling. I think soon a new yard is needed..

A yard specifically for the storage of old fleet perhaps?

They got 340 cars built in 4-car sets in the base order, which replaced most of the R42s. They have 50 R42s left, and 32 R160As will go to ENY to replace those, likely at the end of the R160A order.

Wait a minute. How are they going to replace 50 60' cars with 32 60' cars?:confused: Why don't they just replace the 50 ENY R-42s NOW w/ the remaining R-32s from Jamaica (and perhaps some from 207th/Pitkin)? By the time those R-160As get to ENY, the ENY R-42s will probably be derailing and falling from the elevated structure on a daily basis. Personally, I wouldn't mind to see the Brightliners end their days on the (J)(M)(Z). The (J)(Z) represent the last mostly-elevated line in the entire B-Division. In other words, one would be riding an R-32 outside for the most part, where there is so much to see, as opposed to the dark, dank tunnels. BTW, why WERE the `32s pulled of (J)(M)(Z) in the early/mid 1980s? Ah well. All of this about the ENY cars reminds me about that WWII film, "The Great Escape", about P.O.W.s trying to escape a prison camp.... only 50 of them manage to survive. (Get it? 50?) ):cool: Or that film, "The 50". Sorry if i went a little off-topic.

A yard specifically for the storage of old fleet perhaps?

No, that would be a waste of money. The museum cars float around from CIY to 207th. There is a section in CIY near the paint shop that is just for museum cars. They do store some cars in the tunnel out side of the Transit Museum. I think some of the newer SMEE cars are also stored at Pitkin too.

No, that would be a waste of money. The museum cars float around from CIY to 207th. There is a section in CIY near the paint shop that is just for museum cars. They do store some cars in the tunnel out side of the Transit Museum. I think some of the newer SMEE cars are also stored at Pitkin too.

That doesnt mean much tho. Someday there will be too many cars Old and new and where will they be placed.. In the street? No way..

The ideas that foam encourages... :confused:

i dont understand why a new yard would be foaming... Which its not.. rly..

Wait a minute. How are they going to replace 50 60' cars with 32 60' cars?
I wondered about that too, as originally I heard the order was supposed to be 64 cars. But someone else has said that there is simply a bigger spareration with the 42's, so really, you only need 32 of them. I myself figured they simply have more in case they break down, while the new cars replacing them will be less likely to break down, and so not need as many spares.

Why don't they just replace the 50 ENY R-42s NOW w/ the remaining R-32s from Jamaica (and perhaps some from 207th/Pitkin)? By the time those R-160As get to ENY, the ENY R-42s will probably be derailing and falling from the elevated structure on a daily basis.
They probably won't bother until all the 42's are gone from everywhere else. Then, when there are only 32's left to retire from Jamaica, they will instead push those 50 or so to ENY.
BTW, why WERE the `32s pulled of (J)(M)(Z) in the early/mid 1980s? Ah well. All of this about the ENY cars reminds me about that WWII film, "The Great Escape", about P.O.W.s trying to escape a prison camp.... only 50 of them manage to survive. (Get it? 50?) ):cool: Or that film, "The 50". Sorry if i went a little off-topic.

In that early 80's period, things were very different, and there was more of a "unity" between the different BMT divisions. So The (M) was basically partly based in CI, and shared equipment with the <Q> and (R). Then, some 32's may have spread to the (J) at times, but I believe that was much less common. (And the (M) had the 38's when the (D) and the other lines had them as well!).

When they began overhauling or at least repainting the older cars, and lengthening the remainder of the BMT south consists, and eventually adding new 75 foot cars, and the (R) switching with the (N) and getting 46's, this basically isolated the Eastern Div. from the rest of the BMT equipment wise. The South was a bunch of 75 foot cars, with 32's and slant 40's, and the East was 42's/40m and redbird 30's, all limited at 8 car consists.

The (M) then only shared with the <R>, and that "special" service was quickly discontinued.

I cover all of this at: http://www.erictb.info/carhistory.html

By the time those R-160As get to ENY, the ENY R-42s will probably be derailing and falling from the elevated structure on a daily basis.

The R42's from ENY arn't THAT bad a shape.sure they may look dirty on the

outside,but they're still running in good condtion.they could last to next year.

I actually thought the ones in ENY looked and performed better than the ones Jamaica Yard had...

In spite of the rust, I have to agree with that. The ENY R42s actually have working doors, A/C, and heat most of the time unlike those at Jamaica that doesn't receive proper care.

Archived