R32s Will Go On The (A) While R46s will be on the (C)

Daniel The Cool

Thats right guys. The R46s will be move to the (C) while the (A) will receive the R32s from the (C). If you guys don't believe me here's the proof.

So how do you guys feel about this?

WRONG

The (C) will still have all the R32's with 2 R46 trainsets. The (A) will loose its R32's, I got that from A TA Soruce, So That Letter don't mean anything, But That was The plan but that plan may still happen, And another thing, One thing you don't do is e-mail MTA personel, They will not tell a Railfan what's really going on, The (C) is expected to be 10 cars in 2 weeks from now, Also You have an R32 set At CI for extra service.

Lambert is the Line Manager for the (A) Line. That is what is going to happen but the origanal poster is making more out of it then what it is. Here is what is going on.

(A) Line runs R44,R46 and 2 sets of R32's for regular service

(C) Line operates 8 Car R32's will increase to 10 cars once a set or two of R46's hit the line. Then R32's on the (C) will be scrapped and replaced with a set of R46's if its like what then been doing its should be one replacement a week. Then they get rid of the 2 sets of (A) R32's and the (A)(C) will only operate R44/46's. It can also go the other way and they replace the R32's on the (A) before they start putting R46's on the (C).

When they start doing this who knows I heard from Co Workers they are shifting all of their attention to the Queens corridor they want to scap the R42s first before touching anymore R32's so they can get more R46's back on the (V). I was told the R40M's are all scrapped but I don't know it for a fact.

That Is what is going to Happen, They have been talking about this for a while, The JAM R42's are going, And yes the all The R40M's are retired from service as of 8/28/2009, I rode them the night before.

Wait a minute. How are they going to replace 50 60' cars with 32 60' cars?:confused: Why don't they just replace the 50 ENY R-42s NOW w/ the remaining R-32s from Jamaica (and perhaps some from 207th/Pitkin)? By the time those R-160As get to ENY, the ENY R-42s will probably be derailing and falling from the elevated structure on a daily basis. Personally, I wouldn't mind to see the Brightliners end their days on the (J)(M)(Z). The (J)(Z) represent the last mostly-elevated line in the entire B-Division. In other words, one would be riding an R-32 outside for the most part, where there is so much to see, as opposed to the dark, dank tunnels. BTW, why WERE the `32s pulled of (J)(M)(Z) in the early/mid 1980s? Ah well. All of this about the ENY cars reminds me about that WWII film, "The Great Escape", about P.O.W.s trying to escape a prison camp.... only 50 of them manage to survive. (Get it? 50?) ):cool: Or that film, "The 50". Sorry if i went a little off-topic.

You Never Know, You Might see a Brightliner running along the Jamaica EL again.

I would say most likely not. If only 4 R160A trains are going to replace 6 R42 trains, then that means the Jamaica EL won't need any extra services.

Trust Me I know what Im talking about, I won't bring it up, And like I said 32 R160A-1's can't replace over 50 R42's, If they orderded 44 cars then I would say that's good to replace all of them, as for the R32's I won't say anything.

How in the hell can 32 cars replace 50? Eric did say that roughly four trainsets of R42s are used during the day though, and the others are untouched. Still, I think it's dumb to replace a fleet with less cars of a newer fleet. They should create extra service along Jamaica.

Wait a minute. How are they going to replace 50 60' cars with 32 60' cars?:confused: Why don't they just replace the 50 ENY R-42s NOW w/ the remaining R-32s from Jamaica (and perhaps some from 207th/Pitkin)? By the time those R-160As get to ENY, the ENY R-42s will probably be derailing and falling from the elevated structure on a daily basis. Personally, I wouldn't mind to see the Brightliners end their days on the (J)(M)(Z). The (J)(Z) represent the last mostly-elevated line in the entire B-Division. In other words, one would be riding an R-32 outside for the most part, where there is so much to see, as opposed to the dark, dank tunnels. BTW, why WERE the `32s pulled of (J)(M)(Z) in the early/mid 1980s? Ah well. All of this about the ENY cars reminds me about that WWII film, "The Great Escape", about P.O.W.s trying to escape a prison camp.... only 50 of them manage to survive. (Get it? 50?) ):cool: Or that film, "The 50". Sorry if i went a little off-topic.

I really, really, really hope you aren't being serious (it's really hard to tell). R42s can't go from having similar MDBF's to the other SMEE's to derailing every day. There was never a period in transit history where a train derailed every day. Also, 18 cars is only a difference of two trains. They'll just keep two less spare trains and utilize their equipment more efficiently.

That doesnt mean much tho. Someday there will be too many cars Old and new and where will they be placed.. In the street? No way..

i dont understand why a new yard would be foaming... Which its not.. rly..

There are not enough museum cars, nor will there be in the future, to have an entire yard dedicated to storing these cars.

They probably won't bother until all the 42's are gone from everywhere else. Then, when there are only 32's left to retire from Jamaica, they will instead push those 50 or so to ENY.

I think the plan is that Jamaica will lose the remainder of their 20-30 R32s in the near future, to either 207 or to CI. The R42s from Jamaica will probably be gone by the end of Fall 2009 (mid-December). The R160A-1s in the second option order will be arriving around early-to-mid 2010, and the ENY R42s should hold out until that time.

How in the hell can 32 cars replace 50? Eric did say that roughly four trainsets of R42s are used during the day though, and the others are untouched. Still, I think it's dumb to replace a fleet with less cars of a newer fleet. They should create extra service along Jamaica.

It goes from four to six sets...

I start out of ENY Yard during the Week so i see this frist hand how many R42's are in service.

Depends on the ATO or CBTC upgrades they are doing on the 8300 R160 series.

They probably won't bother until all the 42's are gone from everywhere else. Then, when there are only 32's left to retire from Jamaica, they will instead push those 50 or so to ENY.

ENY is already filled to the max so if they are getting any cars from someplace else they are sending cars someplace else..

Unless you mean they are getting rid of those R42's at ENY but i think they are in better shape than the ones from the Junk Yard, i mean Jamaica..

Now this seems like a rational statement. I still think that if ENY has 50 R42s, then they should order at LEAST 40 cars. By doing this, they can't break the number pattern (high 7, low 3; high 2 (e.g. 12), low 8).

I really, really, really hope you aren't being serious (it's really hard to tell). R42s can't go from having similar MDBF's to the other SMEE's to derailing every day.

Trust me, I wasn't being serious. My sarcasm when saying that merely underlines the poor current state of the R-42s as compared to other cars in the system. All one has to do is look at the fine brown coating of rust on most of the roofs of the R-42s... I like the R-42s, but I realize that they need to go SOON. They are deteriorating. In an ideal situation, the (MTA) could retire the last R-42s before the end of this year. But knowing how the (MTA) works, they will most likely not...

The fine brown rust is superficial. Superficial surface rust has been on those cars for nearly a decade. It is not a problem of any significance.

Thank you. I don't know where in the so called "railfan mind" this idea of rust being a huge structural problem was created. BUt what Art said is true...it is not a problem of any significance...

The ideas that foam encourages... :confused:

I lol'd

Lets face it. No matter what, the R32's are going bye bye. Now we won''t know car assignments until we see the trains on whatever lines....or someone leaks a list from the MTA B).

Thank you. I don't know where in the so called "railfan mind" this idea of rust being a huge structural problem was created. BUt what Art said is true...it is not a problem of any significance...

The only bad rust was Redbird Rust B)

ENY is already filled to the max so if they are getting any cars from someplace else they are sending cars someplace else..

Unless you mean they are getting rid of those R42's at ENY but i think they are in better shape than the ones from the Junk Yard, i mean Jamaica..

Yeah, that was a replacement, since the R32 bodies are in better condition. I had heard of this plan on the inside, but of course, it could always change, like if they determine the replacement 160's will come soon enough to be worth bothering with that.

Now this seems like a rational statement. I still think that if ENY has 50 R42s, then they should order at LEAST 40 cars. By doing this, they can't break the number pattern (high 7, low 3; high 2 (e.g. 12), low 8).

But as it is, this will go up to 9974, so the numer series will end there no matter what, and continue elsewhere, perhaps from xxx0 or xxx1 where it really should be.

But as it is, this will go up to 9974, so the numer series will end there no matter what, and continue elsewhere, perhaps from xxx0 or xxx1 where it really should be.

wait arent the numbers gonna be 4xxx? because the R38s are reitired,so wont the new R160's numbers be 4xxx? (eg:4187) becuase the 9xxx serious was the pervious redbird numbers,i dought the new ones will say X001.

wait arent the numbers gonna be 4xxx? because the R38s are reitired,so wont the new R160's numbers be 4xxx? (eg:4187) becuase the 9xxx serious was the pervious redbird numbers,i dought the new ones will say X001.

If there is an Option 3, which I heard there will be. These will use the 3000 or 4000 slots.

MTA 2010-2014 Capital Plan Q & A's

It says 420 B-Division cars to replace R44s on the (A) and the (SIR). It also hints at R62As moving to one of the Seventh Avenue lines.

Thank goodness for this. Its about time for the R44s to high-tail it. SMS is not going to save them.

As for the R62As moving to the IRT West Side Line, I can either see it on the (1) or the (3). The (2) may get them but it would pose a problem at Flatbush Avenue, especially since the (5) goes there on weekdays now.

Archived