Telling the difference between Genesis Models

mark1447

How can I tell the differences between each model of the general electric genesis regarding looks. Not rly technical. But if technical applies then go ahead and say it but I prefer looks of the locos.. Much easier to understand

I know that the P32AC-DMs r on the MNCRR.. While P32/40/42 are on the Amtrak.. But i cant tell the difference in looks form the P32/P40/P42 .. etc.. They look the same a bit.. Except the color scheme i guess..

Thanks!

The P32s that MN & Amtrak have are dual modes... but the Amtrak units have an LIRR third rail shoe though. The P40s and P42s are stright Diesels. the main way to tell the diffence is the numbers...

Amtrak P32s 700-718

Metro North P32s - Paint scheme and numbers, I belive the MN 32s are numbered in the 2xx range

Amtrak P40s 8xx These are retired...

IDK what the NJT P40s are numbered

Amtrak P42s 1-199

The P32s that MN & Amtrak have are dual modes... but the Amtrak units have an LIRR third rail shoe though. The P40s and P42s are stright Diesels. the main way to tell the diffence is the numbers...

Amtrak P32s 700-718

Metro North P32s - Paint scheme and numbers, I belive the MN 32s are numbered in the 2xx range

Amtrak P40s 8xx These are retired...

IDK what the NJT P40s are numbered

Amtrak P42s 1-199

thx for the car numbers tho i was looking for more in looks like the headlights position is some where else or something...

P42s car numbers start at 1?:confused:

P42DC numbers start at 100. The headlight position is the same, IIRC. The major difference is one that you cannot see, which is the motor. All the light positioning is exactly the same on all three models. A unique feature of the P40 is that there is an operating stand at the rear, I am not sure if they were removed though. So, externally they are pretty much the same, I am not sure about some minor differences, but that is from what pictures tell me.

P42DC numbers start at 100. The headlight position is the same, IIRC. The major difference is one that you cannot see, which is the motor. All the light positioning is exactly the same on all three models. A unique feature of the P40 is that there is an operating stand at the rear, I am not sure if they were removed though. So, externally they are pretty much the same, I am not sure about some minor differences, but that is from what pictures tell me.

P42 road numbers start at 1.

The P32 has a third rail shoe.

The P40 lost its hostler controls.

Some cowl/cab unit diesels have a mini-control set at the rear, typically the rear door has a window to see out the back. Some designs called for looking out the side back door, and were mainly used in freight intended models.

The P40DC's that run ACES service had the controls removed years ago by amtk, and were actually taken out of long term storage to be sold to (NJT).

As far as i've been told, some gennies remain in long term storage out in the chicago division yards, and some of those are being parted out, some are in stand by fleet kept lightly maintained, but only started up a few times a year to save on fuel. The fate of the older gennies is likely scrap.

The 3rd rail package is on more units than most realize... remember amtrak used to run out of GCT, and some empire service and adirondack assigned units still have them.

- A

The 3rd rail package is on more units than most realize... remember amtrak used to run out of GCT, and some empire service and adirondack assigned units still have them.

- A

Only 2 P32's have a retractable top contact and bottom contact third rail shoe. The rest are all top contract. Since the Empire connection is electrified with top contact third rail from 50th Street south to Penn, it is need. Hence why after the Amtrak hit Metro North it's running on diesel. Now there was talk about sending Metro North down that way into Penn. The only way that can happen if the Metro-North either ran modifyed M7 with retractable top and bottom contact third rail shoes or buy an Amtrak P32.

Only 2 P32's have a retractable top contact and bottom contact third rail shoe. The rest are all top contract. Since the Empire connection is electrified with top contact third rail from 50th Street south to Penn, it is need. Hence why after the Amtrak hit Metro North it's running on diesel. Now there was talk about sending Metro North down that way into Penn. The only way that can happen if the Metro-North either ran modifyed M7 with retractable top and bottom contact third rail shoes or buy an Amtrak P32.

Likely M8's and M9's with retractable top contact shoes, or the amtk units, however seeing as amtk needs them, i'd think it more likely to see modified M8 and M9. Now, if there were enough to go around, perhaps, but we have about 6 years to figure out what goes on w/ ARC and possible ESA connection etc etc. Perhaps amtk will opt for the ALP-45 for empire service.

All i know is that there are far, far more gennies in service in chicago division than ny division.

- A

Archived