Capital Program Q/A

Amtrak7

MTA has released the Q&A guide for the 2010-2014 Capital Program. There is a wealth of info here!

http://mta.info/mta/pdf/2010-14questions_and_answers.pdf

R179 AND R188 confirmed, R44 retirement confirmed, CBTC details, Queens BRT proposals, and station priorities.

Also includes timeline for deployment of LIRR station info signs.

MTA has released the Q&A guide for the 2010-2014 Capital Program. There is a wealth of info here!

R179 AND R188 confirmed, R44 retirement confirmed, CBTC details, Queens BRT proposals, and station priorities.

Also includes timeline for deployment of LIRR station info signs.

Wait.. So Westchester (6) is not getting the R62As? But the West Side?

Im wondering if the R62s on the (3) will be retired..

Tho i found this:

The purchase of the new A Division railcars for the Flushing Line will allow

for fleet expansion on other IRT routes; these additional cars would be stored

in some combination of the 240 St, 137 St, 239 St, Lenox, and Unionport/E

180 St yards. The specific yard assignments have not yet been determined, but

NYCT does have the yard capacity to store these growth cars.

I would like ot see the R62As on the WPR. But rly the (6) or so..

At least the (6) will stay with R142as but i wonder where the R62As r going.. Kicking the R62s off or providing extra service on ether (1)(2)(3)(5)

And Finally Dyre Avenue Branch gets something. At least Dyre Ave!

Since it mentioned extra cars, it might not mean the same ones. So they could put almost all of the 62A's on the (6), and make it an even swap perhaps, so those 142A's bumped from there will become the "extra" cars split elsehwere. Since 137 and Lenox are mentioned, then there will probably be some extra 62A's as well. Or who knows; maybe then they will let those lines have some of the 142's for a change.

I see streets like Queens Blvd and Woodhaven are included in the list, and perhaps the study is why they have not implemented limited service as we have been suggesting.

I also see hydraulic elevators for 34th St on the 6th Ave. line. Wouldn't it be nice if they placed at least one pair between the 6th Ave and Bway lines? There is one place toward the south end of the complex where the who lines line up where one platform is right above the other. I had been suggesting putting a stairway there.

Wait.. So Westchester (6) is not getting the R62As? But the West Side?

Im wondering if the R62s on the (3) will be retired..

Tho i found this:

I would like ot see the R62As on the WPR. But rly the (6) or so..

At least the (6) will stay with R142as but i wonder where the R62As r going.. Kicking the R62s off or providing extra service on ether (1)(2)(3)(5)

And Finally Dyre Avenue Branch gets something. At least Dyre Ave!

the (6) wont get the 62's because the barn at westchester was upgraded for the 142's. thats why the 62's will go mostly to the (1)and(3). their barns have not been upgraded. thats also why the barn at corona yd was redone to be able to maintain the ntt.

one more thing only railbuffs want 62's back. most A div conductors hate operating 62's. thats why westside jobs are always last to go when it comes time to pick.

You mean R62's or R62A's??

As a T/O i couldnt stand the R62's the R62A's i loved em...

Since it mentioned extra cars, it might not mean the same ones. So they could put almost all of the 62A's on the (6), and make it an even swap perhaps, so those 142A's bumped from there will become the "extra" cars split elsehwere. Since 137 and Lenox are mentioned, then there will probably be some extra 62A's as well. Or who knows; maybe then they will let those lines have some of the 142's for a change.

I see streets like Queens Blvd and Woodhaven are included in the list, and perhaps the study is why they have not implemented limited service as we have been suggesting.

I also see hydraulic elevators for 34th St on the 6th Ave. line. Wouldn't it be nice if they placed at least one pair between the 6th Ave and Bway lines? There is one place toward the south end of the complex where the who lines line up where one platform is right above the other. I had been suggesting putting a stairway there.

i doubt union port/239th would get em.. The (2)(5) swaps at Flatbush and even at 239th St [sometimes]..

Maybe Jerome?

You mean R62's or R62A's??

As a T/O i couldnt stand the R62's the R62A's i loved em...

he means R62 and R62/As i think

the 62's cabs are cramped,always greasy. have almost no ac in the cabs. the MDC puts the wrist in a bad position which can lead to strains. the manual announcements dont bother me because i can operate as fast as i can talk. which means less dwell time in station. i'll take a 142 any day over a 62.

the 62's cabs are cramped,always greasy. have almost no ac in the cabs. the MDC puts the wrist in a bad position which can lead to strains. the manual announcements dont bother me because i can operate as fast as i can talk. which means less dwell time in station. i'll take a 142 any day over a 62.

Very good Points there....

How long have you been in the A Div?

Maybe we worked together....

I was there from 2001 to 2007 then i came over to the B Div..

I thought C/Rs preferred full width cabs versus half width cabs and having to change operating cabs depending on the side that platform is on.

I thought C/Rs preferred full width cabs versus half width cabs and having to change operating cabs depending on the side that platform is on.

i am not too sure what you mean. but there are very few single cab 62's in the A div. but full width cabs on the 62's are still cramped compared to the 142's.

i am not too sure what you mean. but there are very few single cab 62's in the A div. but full width cabs on the 62's are still cramped compared to the 142's.

Well for A div it's not really an issue since the redbirds are gone but from what I've been told some C/Rs hate working in half width cabs like those that the redbirds had and currently the R32 & R42.

Well for A div it's not really an issue since the redbirds are gone but from what I've been told some C/Rs hate working in half width cabs like those that the redbirds had and currently the R32 & R42.

I never had the experience of working with the trains, but I think the fact that you need to switch cars to say the announcements comes into a factor of disliking half width cabs.

Those cabs are not that wide though and they are dirty and greasy and the A/C stinks as well..

I'm surprised to find that certain R62s still flicker during 3rd rail gaps. Anyhow, I especially surprised that the R62s squeak as badly as the B division 60 ft SMEEs and the worst of the R46s during braking. I would choose the R62As over the R62s any day. The R62 A/C are just as bad as the NTT A/C.

Archived