First car Cab with A/C?

mark1447

I think all cars R32-R160 have A/C vesnts in the cab. There is not a sperate A/C just a tiny vest. I know that they do work well on the R142-R160, a C/R friend of mine was very happy when the R160s came to the (F). On other equipment, it is no uncommon for the vent to be crammed full of papers blocking the flow of cool air. I have been told that in the winter those cabs can get very cold. Imagine operating an R44 over the Rockaways in the evening rush and it is very cold. Everyone on the train has thier winter jackets on so the passenger compartment will be very hot due to all the body heat. Since the A/C is thermostaticly controlled, once the temp. goes above 65, the A/C kicks in. This is fine for all the passengers, but the T/O is going to freeze and will try to block up the vent. Now then in the summer, that vent might still be blocked up and the T/O is going cook in there.

I think all cars R32-R160 have A/C vesnts in the cab. There is not a sperate A/C just a tiny vest. I know that they do work well on the R142-R160, a C/R friend of mine was very happy when the R160s came to the (F). On other equipment, it is no uncommon for the vent to be crammed full of papers blocking the flow of cool air. I have been told that in the winter those cabs can get very cold. Imagine operating an R44 over the Rockaways in the evening rush and it is very cold. Everyone on the train has thier winter jackets on so the passenger compartment will be very hot due to all the body heat. Since the A/C is thermostaticly controlled, once the temp. goes above 65, the A/C kicks in. This is fine for all the passengers, but the T/O is going to freeze and will try to block up the vent. Now then in the summer, that vent might still be blocked up and the T/O is going cook in there.

They could just turn it off.

But then the customers will complain and then you'll see all the threads on the forum and in Subchat about how RXX had "broken" A/C and how they "suck".

lol funny.

Dont the AC vents in the cabs have some kind of vent control?

R38? But i usually see T/Os keeping there cab doors open when i use to ride the 38s.. Especially in a small cab..
I think he meant originally, the first to have A/C. Only 10 of the 38's had the A/C, but I'm not sure if they had them in the cabs. That was experimental. I used to see those cars from time to time in the 80's, but never saw inside the cabs.

The 42's may have been the first, but their A/C compartments were completely rebuilt, so you can't tell from looking at what's in there today. The 44's and 46's appear to have the same compartments, so I'm sure they originally had the cab vents.

I think he meant originally, the first to have A/C. Only 10 of the 38's had the A/C, but I'm not sure if they had them in the cabs. That was experimental. I used to see those cars from time to time in the 80's, but never saw inside the cabs.

The 42's may have been the first, but their A/C compartments were completely rebuilt, so you can't tell from looking at what's in there today. The 44's and 46's appear to have the same compartments, so I'm sure they originally had the cab vents.

Would this mean that the r44/46 have the same AC mechanism that they did since they entered service, they dont seem to have changed

Would this mean that the r44/46 have the same AC mechanism that they did since they entered service, they dont seem to have changed

The ACs gare not the same but I think the dimensions are.

Spitting on a Train = $500, 1 yr jail or both B)

They could just turn it off.

Yea, that would really go over well. People would be dropping like files since it would get hot as hell. I don't know if there are vent controls or if they even work. That is why they get stuffed with papers.

Yea, that would really go over well. People would be dropping like files since it would get hot as hell. I don't know if there are vent controls or if they even work. That is why they get stuffed with papers.

Hot as hell....in the winter?

I'm talking turn it off on elevated portions only.

Hot as hell....in the winter?

I'm talking turn it off on elevated portions only.

In the winter, train get very hot even if it is cold outside. When you have alot of people in one place, their body heat adds up. Now add in the fact that they all have winter coats on and it gets very hot. Also, I think there are rules about turning off the A/C.

In the winter, train get very hot even if it is cold outside. When you have alot of people in one place, their body heat adds up. Now add in the fact that they all have winter coats on and it gets very hot. Also, I think there are rules about turning off the A/C.

they usually have heat not ac in winter

The heat and A/C are thermostatically controlled so when the temp. goes above 65, the A/C goes on. Trust me, I ride the subway every day and I know how this stuff works.

I know the AC is controlled by thermostat, but I thought the heat was manually operated.

and I didn't need to know the amount of knowledge you have.

Archived