Recycle Metro Cards

SubaruWRX

Those boxes been there as long as the machine itself been there but over by me, nobody really uses those boxes and just throws them all over the floor...and the funny thing is that some of them actually has money on it. Found a 7 day unlimited with 3 days still on it one time.

Dumb question: can you take money out of a card and transfer it into another one?

Like say you have $.50 left on one, but $1.75 on another and you need to enter a turnstile at a subway station.

You may need to do that with a Station Agent.. Tho i believe with Unlimited ride cards you change cards i think..

In buses you can do a mix of payment. Like Metrocard and coins. Not sure about Metrocard and Metrocard

Dumb question: can you take money out of a card and transfer it into another one?

Like say you have $.50 left on one, but $1.75 on another and you need to enter a turnstile at a subway station.

You have to goto a booth and tell the agent to combine the cards for you.

Its actually more bad how people are wasting Metro-Cards rather then refilling it until it expired. Thats a big waste! Instead of recycling the card till its finished!

I asked Y2julio this very question a few months ago asking how many people refill the cards and he said not very many :-/

too bad when I buy a 1 day fun pass I can't refill it. I did buy a normal $10 metro card because I locked myself out by trying to go outside but only to find out the was the station was it looped back around again. So I have the card but I have like 5 Metro cards sitting in front of me now lol so I kinda forgot which is which.. I guess I will just bring them all and figure out which one has the money on it.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you never notice the boxes? I always dispose of my old cards in the box. While stuff thrown away in the black cylindrical cans are supposedly recycled, the cards probably aren't separated from the garbage bags, and are recycled along with the other plastic stuff. Putting it in the bin ensures the cards will definitely be recycled and re-used within a short time.

The boxes can fill up sometime, so you will see a large number of cards sticking out at the top.

As for card reuse, I have always been a vehement opposer of throwing cards away. I used one until its expiry date on August 31, and have kept it as a souvenir. I do have to dispose of Unlimited Cards, but I always put them in the bins you just noticed. I previously posted a thread on these forums and replied to others encouraging re-use and showing the folly of throwing away cards with money on them. See:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=145649#post145649

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12008

You may need to do that with a Station Agent.. Tho i believe with Unlimited ride cards you change cards i think..

In buses you can do a mix of payment. Like Metrocard and coins. Not sure about Metrocard and Metrocard

You have to goto a booth and tell the agent to combine the cards for you.

In Grand Concourse's situation above (assuming he has no money on him and needs to enter the subway), he would have to get a station agent to combine them.

However, I am surprised how few people know about adding exact amounts of money onto a card using a MetroCard Vending Machine. If I were in Grand Concourse's situation, I would go to a MVM, select "Refill your Card" and enter the one with $1.75 on it. Then, when you get to the screen with amounts on it, you will notice a button saying other amounts. I would click that, punch in $0.50 and press enter. The machine would ask for the said amount: I would dig around in my pocket for change or a $1 note. Having entered that (and received change, if any), I would have a $2.25 card. Swiping in would reduce the balance to zero. I would then throw away that card (or wait to get to my destination so I can use the card bin), and keep the other card for future refill and use.

Just rounding up your unused cards to an exact number of rides, using those rides and disposing of the cards is a good way to start. You can then reduce to one or two Pay-Per-Ride cards and refill them till expiry date.

P.S. If you try to refill a card that is within 28 days of its expiry date, the machine will prompt you to transfer the value to a new card and will produce a new card (with a later expiry date) with the transferred amount plus whatever you refilled. You need not worry about your card expiring with a balance on it. I am certain it might be possible to transfer unused balances from expired cards at a MVM or station agent's booth. If not, you can return the card to (MTA) and they will refund you the balance.

Keeping 3 cards on any type, as Grand Concourse said, still seems excessive to me, though how many he likes to keep is none of my business. I do think the (MTA) should charge a 5 cent tax for people asking for new pay-per-ride cards in order to encourage refill and reuse.

Well it was actually a hypothetical situation, but given the odd fare and the odd bonus, it no longer is as simple as it used to be to keep track of the exact amount left on the card. Plus it also doesn't help that I don't live close to a subway station to check the balance on my card [ie: relying on what the bus's card reader says].

But thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Well it was actually a hypothetical situation, but given the odd fare and the odd bonus, it no longer is as simple as it used to be to keep track of the exact amount left on the card. Plus it also doesn't help that I don't live close to a subway station to check the balance on my card [ie: relying on what the bus's card reader says].

But thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

You are welcome. The bonuses don't kick in unless you add at least $8, so small additions such as rounding up to a single-ride fare, will not affect your balance in unpredictable ways.

Unlimited MetroCards obviously remove the hassle of having to keep track of your balance. If you must use PayPerRide cards on the bus, it is wise to carry around up to $2 in change at all times, in case your balance is lower than you thought.

Archived