Principal Engineer, Signals

R44 5278

Ever since I was 2 years old, I knew that one day I'll be working in the subway system and making good money. Before I started forum chatting, I learned much about train braking and propulsion systems particularly those in the NYC Subway and had stumbled over this job that interested me. I know that new signaling technologies such as the CBTC system used on the L and soon the 7 will eventually speed up the subway once every line gets it. Anyhow this is the position:

Title: Principal Engineer, Signals

Department: Capital Program Management

Salary: $89,100 -$140,900

Rate for New Hires:

Posting Number: 003634W

Last Date: Extended Filing

Responsibilities: The incumbent will be responsible for supervising and directing a Capital Signal Engineering Group that will be responsible for developing new design standards, software and interface requirements for Automated Train Supervision (ATS) Systems. In this regard the incumbent will ensure compatibility with the existing Signal System and that control of the new system is included in the NYCT's new Rail Control Center. Duties include interacting with Signals and Systems' Program Area Construction Managers and developing related contract specifications that will be incorporated into bid documents.

Exper. & Educ.: A valid New York State Professional Engineer's License is required. In addition, candidates must possess: A Baccalaureate degree in Electrical Engineering or an equivalent field and at least ten years of related practical experience in the design and/or installation of train supervision or signal systems, five years of which must have been in a managerial and/or supervisory capacity.

Desired Skills: Knowledge of the design of operational diagrams and signal layouts. Knowledge of train car propulsion, brake systems and train control engineering. Knowledge of manipulation charts and circuit design for signal systems Knowledge of PLC and vital microprocessors for Rapid Transit applications. Knowledge of capital construction procedures and field operations. Knowledge of NYCT operations and practices and in-depth knowledge of mass transit facilities. Excellent oral and written communication skills.

I'm currently a HS Senior who plans to major in Electrical Engineering for college and this is my dream job in the subway. If anyone is working in a department similar to this one, please fill me up on what I should do during and after college in preparation for this position. Thank you!

I'm currently a HS Senior who plans to major in Electrical Engineering for college and this is my dream job in the subway. If anyone is working in a department similar to this one, please fill me up on what I should do during and after college in preparation for this position. Thank you!

It says what you need in what you quoted.

"Exper. & Educ.: A valid New York State Professional Engineer's License is required. In addition, candidates must possess: A Baccalaureate degree in Electrical Engineering or an equivalent field and at least ten years of related practical experience in the design and/or installation of train supervision or signal systems, five years of which must have been in a managerial and/or supervisory capacity."

This job is an advanced position for a supervisor and decision maker basically. They are NOT looking for some green kid with an education who's "looking to get experience" they are looking for someone with YEARS of experience and results to show for it! Plus they are looking for someone who already understands and knows signals inside and out, not someone who would have to learn on the job

Plus if you think you can earn 89 grand a year coming out of school...sorry that's just not the way things work.

If you REALLY want to get this job much later in life:

-go to a good college

-major in engineering, specific to railway and signaling

-Get an entry level job in the field - IN RAILWAY - as a signal engineer, also get your engineering license and keep it current

-Do a really good job and get promoted

-Learn everything about NYCT you can, and its equipment, as well as any railroad/mass transit system you're working for if it's not NYCT

-Apply for this position in 20 years

-Practice your interviewing skills

-Pray

Sorry if I must clarify, then I meant additional items other than the listed that will increase my chances of getting accept. That's why I would like someone working in a similar position to this one to fill me up.

It clearly states at least 10 years experience with at least 5 of those as a manager this makes it so that you will have to be in your 30's to get this job.

I'd say screw the (MTA) job.. Honestly.. You can work 'for' transit as an white collar outside contractor and be better off financially.. There are contractors who solely bid on NYCT work exclusively, nothing else! I met one riding my (J) over the williamsburg bridge.. I inquired what he did.. He said his company did the signals overhaul on the bridge after the June 95 collision.. He said they ONLY bid on TA work, and his father retired from thre outfit & never worked anywear else, only TA..

I'd start digging online, in who's winning the signals & CPM electrical contracts & try to get some info out of them, what they want for an entry lever position, & inquire about an internship/mentoring program..

Archived