Winner: Seneca Ave. stop on M line is most filthy, rickety station

Harry

It's official: a dilapidated subway station on the (M) line in Queens is the worst of the worst.

The Seneca Ave. stop in Ridgewood is in the direst state of disrepair, according to an MTA survey that assessed conditions of stations across the city.

"It's scary and old and rickety," college student Catrina Dennis, 21, of Ridgewood said at the elevated Seneca Ave. station yesterday afternoon.

Signs of decay are everywhere: rusting metal, peeling paint and concrete cracks sprouting weeds. There isn't a sign on the platform that hasn't been scratched or painted by graffiti vandals.

Mark Newbold, a sheet metal worker, wonders about his safety every time a train rumbles into the station.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/09/25/2009-09-25_most_filthy_rickety_station_truly_destination_nowhere.html#ixzz0S7drmSMJ

post-1-133288581032_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581032_thumb.jpg

Just saw this on NY1 "In the Papers".

I think that is in the works, along with several other stations over there, from the link someone posted of the capital plan.

But I'm surprised. I used that station for years, and it never seemed all that bad. Looks better to me than Knickerbocker.

Archived