Holding trains for connections?

MattTrain

When two trains arrive at the same platform going in the same direction passengers have the chance to switch trains instantly without having to wait for another train to transfer. Sometimes one train will wait for another one to arrive at the island platform on the other side so a connection will be made.

Here's an example with a R68(:P and a R68A (Q) at Kings Highway, taken April 2009:

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

However, in certain situations, a train is not held for passengers wanting to connect to that one from an arriving train. (especially during rush hours since conductors are discouraged from holding trains for connections to avoid delays.) What do you think of this?

I like the fact that they do that.....rush hour I feel that they do not have to other times sure why not.....I people know how to move across the platform most run..which how its suppose to be most people think its all about them and take their time crossing......thinking the traiin couductor won't closed the dooors ..(I would)......or somepeople make that split sec move to leave one train and hop on the other and the. Doors close and then try to run back to the other train and the door closes....priceless and funnyy........

(J)(F)(K).....(JFK)

Rapid transit is a bit more difficult to hold trains, though they do it when they need to. In contrast, main line rail holding for a connection is standard procedure, and done within practical limits. For example :septa: will very often wait for (NJT), and i've seen LIRR trains held at NYP for amtrak and (NJT) trains incoming. Also the bay head train (long branch-bay head) is oft delayed due to the train from hoboken or nyp being late.

Sometimes, personally, i wish dispatching systems could talk to each other more readily vs phobic as it seems. For example, holding HBLR train for PATH connection, or holding PATH for (NYCT) connection.

All that being said, subway trains being held for connections should be standard procedure, often say i see a (A) train pull up as the (E) train i'm on has its doors closing. Same for (2)(3) and the (1).

- A

During the rush hour, they want to us to keep moving, unless they give us holding lights. Off-Peak, they do want us to make connections, long as the other train is pulling in, or 1 short station stop away. It's for better customer service. Once the customers get on, they can delay service by holding the doors the rest of the way.........

During the rush hour, they want to us to keep moving, unless they give us holding lights. Off-Peak, they do want us to make connections, long as the other train is pulling in, or 1 short station stop away. It's for better customer service. Once the customers get on, they can delay service by holding the doors the rest of the way.........

I do see this a lot at Nevins St northbound during the AM Rush. (4)/(5) trains don't want to hold for people coming from the LIRR at Atlantic who rush into a (2)/(3) already in the station, hoping to transfer at Nevins right across the platform. Because, once they hold for one person, then a flood of people usually follow.

It would be nice for one subway train to wait & hold for another connecting train,i find this convenient and easy for straphangers,it would be much easier in my opinion to implement during Middays,Evenings,Weekends and Late Nights,provided ofcourse that trains aren't being delayed by door holding passengers or mechanical failure.It would be a little more difficult to do during Rush Hours because of the traffic on the rails,maybe or maybe not.Remember also that commuter rail lines can do this often and is standard procedure because the lines are distance based and more of a relaible and enforcable schedule is implemented.

It would be nice for one subway train to wait & hold for another connecting train,i find this convenient and easy for straphangers,it would be much easier in my opinion to implement during Middays,Evenings,Weekends and Late Nights,provided ofcourse that trains aren't being delayed by door holding passengers or mechanical failure.It would be a little more difficult to do during Rush Hours because of the traffic on the rails,maybe or maybe not.Remember also that commuter rail lines can do this often and is standard procedure because the lines are distance based and more of a relaible and enforcable schedule is implemented.

There is a bulletin out about making connections as a C/R if a Supervisor sees you close down as a train across the platform is pulling into the station during off hrs you can have some drama over it.

i've done it on the midnights and just pretend i did not see the train or hear my radio. i could care less about a connection all i want is to get back on time to get my full break. during rush hour i am ruthless. i make no connections. but i have great ontime preformance for the people on my train.

there is drama with supervisiors trying to make a name for themselves so some people might feel scared and make every connection. i am not one but i went flagging to avoid the drama.

I think that off-hours, connections should try to be made whenever possible. I don't know the practicaility of this but maybe the schedules could be changed slightly in order to accomodate the extra minute or so for connecting times (per major connection) on the line. This would ensure that the train doesn't arrive at the terminal late (except for delays).

As for rush hours, connections should only be made at major stops, or where there is an incentive behind the connection. For example, (E) trains are almost always held for arriving (R) trains, and vice versa, at Queens Plaza. This is because the first 2 cars of the (E) empty out at Lexington Ave. and generate a lot of crowding; the (R) has a much easier transfer to the (6), as well as the (4)(5), so it helps to take crowding off the (E). It should also only be done at stations before two lines diverge. There's no point in holding trains at, say, 34th St. on the (:((D)(F)(V).

ive seen most trains stalled at the station the holding lights are on, the next connecting train arrives, holding lights cut off bit the c/r shuts the door while the connecting train hasn't opened yet.. Is that allowed?

Yes. Holding lights are used for other reasons, to space out the trains on a line if it's running early or if there are issues down the line.

Yes. Holding lights are used for other reasons, to space out the trains on a line if it's running early or if there are issues down the line.

oh so thats why spacing between trains mean, i thought that they meant spacing between cars lol. Ok thx

btw is there a difference between the Yellow lights and Green lights for the holding?

oh so thats why spacing between trains mean, i thought that they meant spacing between cars lol. Ok thx

btw is there a difference between the Yellow lights and Green lights for the holding?

Green lights aren't used for holding. They are used at the terminal to tell the crew that their train may depart the terminal.

Archived