(3) Trains extended to 34 St

mark1447

theres so much confusing with the (3) being extended. First the late night (3) to New lots and now to 34th st? Why is that being done?

Late night, 12:01 AM to 5 AM Sat to Mon, Oct 10 - 12

Trains are extended to 34 St during the late night.

theres so much confusing with the (3) being extended. First the late night (3) to New lots and now to 34th st? Why is that being done?

Late night, 12:01 AM to 5 AM Sat to Mon, Oct 10 - 12

Trains are extended to 34 St during the late night.

If you look at the G.O. directly above it, the (1) and (2) are running express from 96th to 42nd Streets during the late night. I'm assuming they extend the (3) to 34th St to extinguish the fumigation process and keep trains moving. This way, no one has to leave the (3) train and delay a (1) or (2) directly behind it on the express track.

If you look at the G.O. directly above it, the (1) and (2) are running express from 96th to 42nd Streets during the late night. I'm assuming they extend the (3) to 34th St to extinguish the fumigation process and keep trains moving. This way, no one has to leave the (3) train and delay a (1) or (2) directly behind it on the express track.

what fumigation?

That's right. In order for the (3) to turn around at Times Sq late nights, they have to clean it out because its relay track is a non-revenue move. Extending it to 34th St eliminates that all together.

for that, why not extend the (3) to 34th St or even 14th St during Late nights?

I was thinking the same thing b4.....IMO it should have ended @ 14th Street during late nights!

seems much better especially since the (1)(2) is Local to/from Chambers and the (3) cant affect those routes.. But i guess the t/a finds it better at 42nd for the darn relay tracks south of it.........

for that, why not extend the (3) to 34th St or even 14th St during Late nights?

I never honestly expected the (3) to get that long of an extension when it first got it. I can't give a definite answer for that other than the fact that they only want it to serve Harlem & Upper Manhattan? But, in reality, I don't know.

(3) to South Ferry....along with the (1) that already seems to come in and out of there every 8-10 minutes late nights...brilliant :P

if you extend it to chambers you backup the (1) on the local track or the (2) that has to cross over to the express track before going to brooklyn. No I think 34th St is a fine place to turn (3) trains in and out late nights if they wanna do that. 14th St might be even better. I could see it easily.

Why is the (3) trains extended to 34th St?

So far as late night service pattern, I think the (3) should run as a 7th Ave LCL to Flatbush Ave while the (2) runs from 241st to Times Square or 34th St running 7th Ave EXP

ummmmmm No? Why would you want the (2) to run from East 241st-WPR and TSQ-42nd St?

And the (3) heading to Flatbush/Nostrands Ave? No thanks you! It wouldnt make sense. for Late night (3)s to flatbus while daytime/eve (3) going to New Lots

That ill cost the t/a $$$$$

The best thing is to extend the (3) to 14th St/7th ave rather then 42nd St and relay...

Yes, using the downtown express track. That's where the (1) terminated in GO's where it ended there.

The ideal pattern to me would be like someone said; the (3) local to South Ferry with the (1), and also, the (5) local to Brooklyn Bridge with the (6), so in both cases, the through Brooklyn services can run express, yet the locals still have the double service they want.

Yes, using the downtown express track. That's where the (1) terminated in GO's where it ended there.

The ideal pattern to me would be like someone said; the (3) local to South Ferry with the (1), and also, the (5) local to Brooklyn Bridge with the (6), so in both cases, the through Brooklyn services can run express, yet the locals still have the double service they want.

But is ridership that high where its needed at that time of night on the west side? =/ You would obviously know better than me. I'm just curious. That kind of service seems a little busier than might be needed at that time.

But is ridership that high where its needed at that time of night on the west side? =/ You would obviously know better than me. I'm just curious. That kind of service seems a little busier than might be needed at that time.

Well.. to 42nd St there isnt much riders. When you hit 42nd -TSQ northbond it gets packed in the first few cars..

I guess 42nd Street is where all of this gets in palce.

On the east side Its not as packed. Even 14th St which is packed everyday during the day, hardly any passengers..

Well.. to 42nd St there isnt much riders. When you hit 42nd -TSQ northbond it gets packed in the first few cars..

I guess 42nd Street is where all of this gets in palce.

On the east side Its not as packed. Even 14th St which is packed everyday during the day, hardly any passengers..

Ok it's just me living off of Rector St I have some sort of an idea of how many trains come through there. Any T/O or better informed railfan could give me an exact number. but i've gotten the chance to experience late night (1)(2) service. so its hard for me to process seeing south ferry turning in and out trains from the (1) and (3) lines very smoothly. I think late night service on the (3) to 14th St or 34th St would be great but not to South Ferry...i mean it could work I guess. just don't see it running very smoothly.

Ok it's just me living off of Rector St I have some sort of an idea of how many trains come through there. Any T/O or better informed railfan could give me an exact number. but i've gotten the chance to experience late night (1)(2) service. so its hard for me to process seeing south ferry turning in and out trains from the (1) and (3) lines very smoothly. I think late night service on the (3) to 14th St or 34th St would be great but not to South Ferry...i mean it could work I guess. just don't see it running very smoothly.

The (3) to South ferry wont be soo good:

Via Express to Franklin Street(not stopping there, but on the Exp trk) and crossing over to SF tracks to chambers would hold up the (2) if its near, same for the (3) if the (2) were crossing. Even the (1) when the (3) needs to cross for SF same the other way..

The wait time per trains could take longer (1)-(2)-(3)-(1)-(2)-(3) or something.. Which would apply for Via Local

I agree on extending it to 34th or 14th st so it wouldnt be much of an impact. And allow passengers who want to go to 72nd or north to have a faster ride instead of a Bronx bound (1)(2).. Same applies for any1 from 148th to 34/14th..

If you know what i mean of course..

No, it would be local from 96th, replacing the (2) which would become expres again. (and at night, the trafffic would be light enough as to not cause delays).

Well, if the ridership is high enough for them to make the (2) and (4) local... Running them express would be for the outer boro ridersgoing to the more busier express stops. Now, if there are enough riders to have all that service combined; I'm not sure. Still, it never seemed right that Brooklyn or Bronx riders heading to midtown had to make all of those extra stops just so people using the local stops can have 10 minute instead of 20 minute headways (especially after the displaced riders had waited their 20 minutes). So it's an idea, and I saw this new (3) midnight service as making it hopeful.

No, it would be local from 96th, replacing the (2) which would become expres again. (and at night, the trafffic would be light enough as to not cause delays).

Well, if the ridership is high enough for them to make the (2) and (4) local... Running them express would be for the outer boro ridersgoing to the more busier express stops. Now, if there are enough riders to have all that service combined; I'm not sure. Still, it never seemed right that Brooklyn or Bronx riders heading to midtown had to make all of those extra stops just so people using the local stops can have 10 minute instead of 20 minute headways (especially after the displaced riders had waited their 20 minutes). So it's an idea, and I saw this new (3) midnight service as making it hopeful.

So are you saying that they're surveying making the (2) go express in Manhattan again, and have the (3) local?

Archived