'Free Metrocard transfer'?

traildriver

The 7 conductor announces at Court House Square, Metrocard transfer to G Court Square / E,V 23rd street Ely Ave station.

The F conductor announces at 63rd and Lex., Metrocard transfer to 59th and Lex 4,5,6,N,R,W station.

My question is: how do you get this 'free' transfer if you've already started your trip on a local bus? Wouldn't this be a second transfer and be charged with an additional fare. I know that years ago, there were a few locations where you could get a paper transfer upon exiting certain stations to get free entrance at another specific station such as at the end of the old Myrtle Ave. local at Bridge/Jay Street to the 'A' line.

Free transfers are allowed from any station to these following ones, literally.

Lexington Avenue 63rd Street (F)

Lexington Avenue 59th Street (N)(R)(W)(4)(5)(6)

23rd Street Ely Avenue-Court Square (E)(G)(V)

45 Road Court House Square (7)

When you swipe your MetroCard at any station besides those listed, you get a free transfer to those listed above.

For example:

I swipe my card at Wall Street (Lexington Avenue Line) and take the (4)(5) to Lexington Avenue 59th Street in Manhattan. I can then transfer to the (F) at Lexington Avenue 63rd Street by walking four blocks north, out of system transfer. It works, (providing if two hours or more didn't pass).

Archived