Tighter safety regulations for track workers

Trainspotter

Tighter safety regulations for track workers

All subway track workers will have emergency radios by early next year, according to transit officials responding to the findings of a safety task force convened after two men on the job were fatally struck by trains.

The task force consisting of New York City Transit staff and Transport Workers Union representatives Tuesday released 63 recommendations focusing on improved communications and other safety measures.

Full story: amny_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - December 5, 2007

• 5 weeks later...

I do believe flaggers should have 2 way radios, there have been times while flagging I needed to communicate with a white hat and I couldn't get there attention.

Problem is 2 way radios are not cheap and they will break down.

white hats are supervisors right?

Flaggers don't even the RTO Construction flagger they must turn in thier radios the first day of the Pick if they Pick flagging which I think is supid. I know Signal Maintainers have radios but they always scare the living daylights out of me since they seem to come out of nowhere.

Do the signal guys follow a different set of rules. I have seen them on the tracks with a flashing yellow only a few feet from them, should that light at least be several hundred feet before them. Or do they have some special were they can be anywere the want and not do propper flagging for it?

Do the signal guys follow a different set of rules. I have seen them on the tracks with a flashing yellow only a few feet from them, should that light at least be several hundred feet before them. Or do they have some special were they can be anywere the want and not do propper flagging for it?

Yes they do...

The flashing yellow lantern is "supposed" to be 650 feet away from their work area that's point to point flagging you see..

No they cant you are on the roadbed doing work you must have "proper" flagging..

Flagging that isnt "proper" can be a unsafe condition and could get people hurt or killed and we dont want that..

Hope that helps..

Thanks RTO Man, two last things while on the topic of flagging. On the south bound tracks between 7th Ave and 15th Street on the (F) they are replacing the road bed. On the north bound tracks, they have flagging set up with two amber lanterns then a second set of amber lanterns about 50 to 75 feet away, is this like a fail safe in case two lanterns die at the same time or does this tell the T/O that this is a large work site? And lastly, I know that they use the 5 light boards that hook up to the third rail with red bulds for train stops and one tine I saw workers using one with 5 amber bulds, how come they dont still use them for flagging?

Thanks alot in advance!

Yes they do...

The flashing yellow lantern is "supposed" to be 650 feet away from their work area that's point to point flagging you see..

No they cant you are on the roadbed doing work you must have "proper" flagging..

Flagging that isnt "proper" can be a unsafe condition and could get people hurt or killed and we dont want that..

Hope that helps..

trackrulelm4.jpg

I do believe flaggers should have 2 way radios, there have been times while flagging I needed to communicate with a white hat and I couldn't get there attention.

Problem is 2 way radios are not cheap and they will break down.

So what your saying is that its not really a smart idea to do this if the radios break down easily anyway and to try to find an ever better solution?

It's actually a great idea, when I was in class I found out that they didn't use radios a between flagmen and Foreman's.

There are times when I need to get the attention of a Foreman and I can't get anyones attention.....really frustrating especially when I need bathroom relief.

Before Transit I used to worked at Motorola for 21 years, and from my experience these radios will take a beating from track workers...we are not the most finesse group out there.

We sold the Housing Authority thousands of radios and you wouldn't believe the shape they came back for repair.

Since there is alot of room for improvement with point to point flagging, what else can be done with flagging for other work crews where they use red flags or lanterns with portable trips. Would incressing the distance or size of warning lights help, I know that once a train is waved passed the red lantern or flag there are sometimes more flagmen with amber lanterns who wave on the train, but there is no sure fire way to stop the train if something happens. Can this be solved by adding more portable tips or is that going to slow trains down too much?

Since there is alot of room for improvement with point to point flagging, what else can be done with flagging for other work crews where they use red flags or lanterns with portable trips. Would incressing the distance or size of warning lights help, I know that once a train is waved passed the red lantern or flag there are sometimes more flagmen with amber lanterns who wave on the train, but there is no sure fire way to stop the train if something happens. Can this be solved by adding more portable tips or is that going to slow trains down too much?

Those "other" flagmen you see are "auxillary" flagmen...

The Flagman we have to really make sure we "see" is the one with the White Lantern, hes the one who is the last flagger in the acutal work area, we still dont resume normal speed for the area until we see a green resume lantern or flag.

This is in full effect every weekend they are chipping on the Concoruse Line when im working the (D) train. I see one guy on the trip and four flaggers before i pass the one with the white lantern.

I dont have a problem with flagging whatsoever ever as long as it proper flagging, my fellow co-workers are down there doing thier job, so i do mines and Obey it.B) :D:)

I don't think its a problem but you do have to watch what you post working for NYCT. As long as you don't post sensitive stuff or securty issues your all right. NYCT MGT does have someone watching the message board every once in a while. I know I posted something a few years ago something got me bad and got my coat pulled by a TSS who spoke to me on orders of the Line Supt office.

I concur with Dave as long as you are "Off Duty" is all good..

Just be mindful of what pictures you post remember who you work for...

The (MTA)...

First and foremost and dont be fooled by what some "others"(espiecally some railfans) who dont work down here say.

That will get you in trouble...

Just pulling your coat there my friend...B) :D:)

They don't like it when we take pictures on Duty. Remember key word On Duty.

I concur with Dave as long as you are "Off Duty" is all good..

Just be mindful of what pictures you post remember who you work for...

The (MTA)...

First and foremost and dont be fooled by what some "others"(espiecally some railfans) who dont work down here say.

That will get you in trouble...

Just pulling your coat there my friend...B) :D:)

They're right! I would be a little worried about that myself.

Archived