Bus hits elderly woman crossing Queens Blvd.; left arm hurt but expected to survive

Harry

A city bus struck an elderly woman on Thursday on a busy stretch in Queens, officials said.

The 65-year-old woman, who was not identified, was hit by a Q65 in Forest Hills about 11:45 a.m. She hurt her left arm but was expected to survive.

"She was responsive," said an NYC Transit spokeswoman.

The woman was stable at Elmhurst Hospital Center. No one on the bus was injured.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/09/25/2009-09-25_bus_hits_woman_crossing_qns_blvd.html#ixzz0SK0K5VKb

post-1-133288581037_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581037_thumb.jpg

This was a Senior Man that hit her and it shows everybody crossing not to get in the buses way ,Let the bus complete the turn I don't know why he hit her but that turn is tight and slow so sure something went wrong but again don't always assume the B/O sees you cuz we scan all around but (G)odspeed to the lady and Operator (K)<R>

A city bus struck an elderly woman on Thursday on a busy stretch in Queens, officials said.

The 65-year-old woman, who was not identified, was hit by a Q65 in Forest Hills about 11:45 a.m. She hurt her left arm but was expected to survive.

"She was responsive," said an NYC Transit spokeswoman.

The woman was stable at Elmhurst Hospital Center. No one on the bus was injured.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/09/25/2009-09-25_bus_hits_woman_crossing_qns_blvd.html#ixzz0SK0K5VKb

omg

Yeah but he could have been making a quick turn, I've seen many drivers, if the light is green and they don't see anyone crossing make it a very tight and fast turn. This could very well have been the drivers fault with some blame going to the pedestrian for not looking behind, unless they did, saw the bus and thought the bus would stop but he didn't see her and made a fast turn.

Pedestrians always risk their live by crossing in front of buses. Some of them never look both way before crossing.

In Japan, if you came to crosswalk with no signal, you are suppose to raise hands, look both ways to see if cars or bikes are coming. If cost is clear, and as you cross, you raise hand. This is mostly for children in Kindergarden, Ellementary to High Schools.

Back to USA, pedestrian never look both ways when they cross street. Even at lightrail crossing or railroad grade.

I remember when I was on LIRR Far Rockaway Branch, there were several stations in Nassau County that was close to crossing gate. I remember people crossing at LOW-GATE to catch their train.

Even same for bus. Some people try to jump on red to catch their buses.

Yae QBlvd is the highway of death.....but the bus making that turn has to be going 5mph.....I have driven that turn and just like the Mainstreet thing....these people just walk in front of you, they must be thinking they can make it something....

I have been sitting waiting at the red light after I pick up and pull away from the curb and seen all sorts of people young and old just run against the light on QBlvd....and I am thinking to myself.....if that was me...I will wait....it is not that important for me to run in front of a car doing 40-45 mph.....I am not a deer....I do not want to be a hood ornament.....( and the thing that I don't get these people are usually laughing as they do it) is this funny??

Yae QBlvd is the highway of death.....but the bus making that turn has to be going 5mph.....I have driven that turn and just like the Mainstreet thing....these people just walk in front of you, they must be thinking they can make it something....

I have been sitting waiting at the red light after I pick up and pull away from the curb and seen all sorts of people young and old just run against the light on QBlvd....and I am thinking to myself.....if that was me...I will wait....it is not that important for me to run in front of a car doing 40-45 mph.....I am not a deer....I do not want to be a hood ornament.....( and the thing that I don't get these people are usually laughing as they do it) is this funny??

There were also article about bike path along Queens Blvd will not be very good idea.

Under the elevated (7), I see sign for "TURNING CAR, WATCH FOR PEDESTRIAN."

in my eyes a bike path on any road is not a good idea!!!

I agree, especially where there are parked cars on both sides of the street. Just within the past couple of weeks 2 cyclists have been killed on Queens Blvd/69th St. I have noticed a lot more people on bicycles these days, most don't even wear a helmet. It drives me crazy when they ride on the sidewalk without a care in the world.

Is it true if a B/O runs somebody over and kills them that they get fired no matter what? In case of a knockdown with injuries, what happens? suspended without pay?

I agree, especially where there are parked cars on both sides of the street. Just within the past couple of weeks 2 cyclists have been killed on Queens Blvd/69th St. I have noticed a lot more people on bicycles these days, most don't even wear a helmet. It drives me crazy when they ride on the sidewalk without a care in the world.

Is it true if a B/O runs somebody over and kills them that they get fired no matter what? In case of a knockdown with injuries, what happens? suspended without pay?

Not only that, I think all Bicycles and Bike Taxis need to obey the rule of road.

Bicycle Taxis should not be allowed on any bridge or tunnels (Remember the accident, bike taxi was involve in accident on Willaimsburg Bridge?

in my eyes a bike path on any road is not a good idea!!!

Not only that, I think all Bicycles and Bike Taxis need to obey the rule of road.

Bicycle Taxis should not be allowed on any bridge or tunnels (Remember the accident, bike taxi was involve in accident on Willaimsburg Bridge?

Archived