Should the D run R68As or R68s?

R44 5278

Since the D switched into the West End line in 2004, the R68A hasn't ventured down that line as they did before since the B swapped fleets with the orange Q in 97. When the north side of the Manhattan Bridge was under construction again, the B's R68As were given to the W which temporarily ran down West End. Once the bridge fully reopened, the T/A decided to run R68s down the line since D was based off Concourse and Concourse only used R68s. I personally love both fleets, but the R68s' acceleration is much more noticeable and louder. For all the above should the D swap fleets with the B so Concourse can get the R68As and R68As can run down the West End again, or should the D remain with its R68s?

i agree.. Whats the difference ? Its just small difference but nothing else..

R68s have a bright apperance to them. R68As are slightly darker than the R68s.

Here's an R68 on the (:)

PICT0060.jpg

Here's an R68A on the (B)

PICT0068.jpg

Getting back to topic, the (D)'s R-68s are just fine. The only time I've seen the (D) use R68s around the 2800s and R68As on (D) are those special one during Yankee Stadium games.

I know the difference. But what im trying to say that there is no difference deeply inside them. They look the same even if they have a difference..

So the (D) is fine with concourse 68s.. Plus i dont like the 68As on the (D) it ill look like an R40 with the breaks it makes..

R68s have a bright apperance to them. R68As are slightly darker than the R68s.

Here's an R68 on the (:)

PICT0060.jpg

Here's an R68A on the (B)

PICT0068.jpg

Getting back to topic, the (D)'s R-68s are just fine. The only time I've seen the (D) use R68s around the 2800s and R68As on (D) are those special one during Yankee Stadium games.

I know the difference. But what im trying to say that there is no difference deeply inside them. They look the same even if they have a difference..

So the (D) is fine with concourse 68s.. Plus i dont like the 68As on the (D) it ill look like an R40 with the breaks it makes..

You're right, there's not much difference between the two car types. We should just appreciate the R68/As for their uniqueness.

I would totally be thrilled if the Q did run an R32. It would be so nice to view the south side of the bridge from the rfw.

As for if the D ran all the R68a's, I could be wrong, but there probably won't be enough R68A's for the entire D line and it would still have to run R68's. So that kind of swap really won't make much of a difference at all as there will still be R68's on the D.

On the related matter of the R68A's: I really don't want them moved to the A. I really want the A/C to be all R44/46.

If more R160's are arriving, they should go to Jamaica yard rather than Coney Island to displace more R46's. There's no need to add more fleets over at Pitkin yard when things can be simplified with just the R44 and R46.

And when it comes time to retire the R44's, then either give Pitkin more R46's or those 'supposed R179's'.

Look, I'm only asking for opinions and in the perspective of railfans. As a railfan, I notice minor differences much in the way others tell apart a R160A and a R160B. If the matter doesn't pertain to your interests, then there's no need to answer.

If you don't want people's opinions why bother creating a thread? People aren't always going to agree with your view.

If you don't want people's opinions why bother creating a thread? People aren't always going to agree with your view.

Look, I would like people's opinions pertaining to the subject, not on how ridiculous my thread is. Isn't that what you would expect on your threads as well?

R68As on the (D) would not be so bad, but then again, it's basically the same thing as the R68. They virtually look and sound the same. The only way I can tell them apart is by the numbers. G.O.-wise, then we're talking, but as to regular service, I'm really indifferent on the matter. But there's nothing wrong with the topic, it's basically the same as the Franklin Shuttle running R44s/R46s and the Rockaway Shuttle running the R68 series.

R68As on the (D) would not be so bad, but then again, it's basically the same thing as the R68. They virtually look and sound the same. The only way I can tell them apart is by the numbers. G.O.-wise, then we're talking, but as to regular service, I'm really indifferent on the matter. But there's nothing wrong with the topic, it's basically the same as the Franklin Shuttle running R44s/R46s and the Rockaway Shuttle running the R68 series.

don't you mean Franklin Shuttle with R68s and Rockaway Shuttle with R44s/R46s

don't you mean Franklin Shuttle with R68s and Rockaway Shuttle with R44s/R46s

No, what I'm saying is that 5278's opinion with the (D) running R68As would basically the same as R46s on the Franklin Shuttle and R68/R68As on the Rockaway Shuttle. R44s can't run on the Franklin Shuttle because there are no 2-car sets, whereas there are 2-car sets on the R46.

Archived