Old Q rollsign

MattTrain

One thing that bugs me, the (Q) in the 80's was very weird. The stem didn't go through the circle like it does today.

I actually prefer the (Q) you are referring to. In fact, some of the rollsigns on the R-42 (a good majority, I believe) have the letters in that typeface. The letters most easy to differentiate are the (R), (Q), (J), & (S). Those signs also include more diamond letters including the <R>. The <Q> appears to be the only diamond on newer signs... INDman's R-30 sign as well as my R-40 side-sign. The R-68/As also had the old-style letters until sometime in the 90s when they were replaced with the current ones, as well as the R-62–style destination signs which were replaced with the current. There are a few exceptions of R-68As which still have some or all of the original side-signs including the old (Q). There aren't many, but you will see them from time to time.

I actually prefer the (Q) you are referring to. In fact, some of the rollsigns on the R-42 (a good majority, I believe) have the letters in that typeface. The letters most easy to differentiate are the (R), (Q), (J), & (S). Those signs also include more diamond letters including the <R>. The <Q> appears to be the only diamond on newer signs... INDman's R-30 sign as well as my R-40 side-sign. The R-68/As also had the old-style letters until sometime in the 90s when they were replaced with the current ones, as well as the R-62–style destination signs which were replaced with the current. There are a few exceptions of R-68As which still have some or all of the original side-signs including the old (Q). There aren't many, but you will see them from time to time.

Yea it seems the TA was big on diamonds at one time, my IRT signs have a diamond for all the Lex services as well as the Flushing line. The R30 signs has diamonds for the <(B)>, <(C)>, <(N)>, <(Q)>, and <(R)>. The <(R)> is yellow which is the correct color for the Chambers- 95th Street special since the <R> did not appear on signs until after the service was eliminated. The R32 side rollsigns and post GOH R40-R46 front signs had the <(W)> which I always thought would be correct for the current (W) since it is an extra service.

The Q is from the font "Akzidenz Grotesk" which was used on the rollsigns and station signs from the late 60s to the late 80s, then Helvetica was used, I guess because it was already on the computers.

The easiest way to tell which font is to look at the Q, S, or J. the tail on the Q doesnt go within the inside of the circle part, the ends of the S are paralell with the main curve, and the tail of the J doesnt extend back upwards.

If you want an interesting article about the fonts, here:

http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/the-mostly-true-story-of-helvetica-and-the-new-york-city-subway?recache=1&pp=1

My R30 sign only has the <Q>.

OldQ.jpg

Nice effect! Yup, your rollsign would be considered an "original" rollsign, where there was a Yellow <B>, diamond-only <C> and <Q>, and a yellow <R>. I'm surprised the (V) is in there, though. The (V) or the (W) would not be used for another 20 years!

The Q is from the font "Akzidenz Grotesk" which was used on the rollsigns and station signs from the late 60s to the late 80s, then Helvetica was used, I guess because it was already on the computers.

The easiest way to tell which font is to look at the Q, S, or J. the tail on the Q doesnt go within the inside of the circle part, the ends of the S are paralell with the main curve, and the tail of the J doesnt extend back upwards.

If you want an interesting article about the fonts, here:

http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/the-mostly-true-story-of-helvetica-and-the-new-york-city-subway?recache=1&pp=1

The (J) apparently wasn't "hooky" enough. :P

Also, thanks for the link to the article. I especially love the picture of the Slant! :)

Perhaps. I went to a sign shop in Stapleton on S.I. to get these done. Kinko's might, yeah.

Care to share the address? And approximately how much would it all cost if I were to create an R40 Slant front sign? PM me the deets please.

• 5 weeks later...
July 10, 2003 was a significant day in my life as it was the first and only time i ever rode on the (9) train. i think i remember seeing someone taking pictures of the <Q> on my way to the dentist and it probably was you, but this was before i went to lincoln and we met.

My older sister took that photograph.

Archived