I'm leaving West Farms and so is one artic

DOB2RTO

Today I got to pick the depot and line(s) I want to work next year. I didn't want to work on an artic route after my experience with them on ice, but that was all that was left with "good hours". I have an RDO floater on the Bx41 line. 46+hrs, and the best part is Saturdays I clear just shy of 1930hrs (7:30p.m.) Sundays I clear by 0030hrs (12:30a.m.). So yes I got what I wanted hours wise, and depot wise, since I will be back in KBG (Kingsbridge). Alot of my classmates picked into Brooklyn, as alot of them live in that area of the 5 boroughs. I've been sporting my KB hat while working out of West Farms, and now can proudly sport it again at "home". Back to the old and new artics, so long all new artics.

As for the artic that might be leaving WF. The union and some of the drivers were talking about an artic that caught fire this morning in or near Riverbank Park. The depot chair was there to see the aftermath. I forget the bus #, but it was toasted, and the FDNY basically ripped it apart to get to the source of the fire, as they usually do. It is at the depot hiding somewhere in the back, and if it can be salvaged it will be at least 6 months before it is road worthy again, so said the union man. All of WF artics are 2003 models, so it's a new bus. It would have to go to Zerega to be rebuilt, or if it can't be salvaged, then it might join the KB artic sitting in Zerega that also burnt up. Why did it go up in smoke, well there been rumors of one thing, that would put the driver at fault, but that rumor still made no sense, then the other of course is mechanical/electrical. Either way another artic bites the dust for now.

Well good luck with the New Pick. In RTO we start in 2 weeks. I did some changes I got the A/C Line Wkend and L/M Lines Wkdays as a RDO Relief. I'm mostly on the L Line with the new assignment so I will be dealing with CBTC. I trained for it and I didn't like it because under CBTC the T/O operates the train but the Computer tells you HOW your going to operate and when you slow it down. If you don't adjust your operation the way the Computer likes it will place your train Brakes In Emergency or apply a Full service brake by itself no matter what the postion the controller is in. So this is like becoming a new T/O all over again but the game on operations and proceedures all change in CBTC and we got a seperate book of rules.

Thanks Dave. Can't wait either. 23 days and counting. First week of the new pick I'll be on vacation.

Also, I see being a T/O is always going to be a learning process. New rules to memorize with old rules. New equipment, to memorize with the old equipment etc........

Good luck on the new pick....hope all goes well.

Thanks. To be honest, good luck for me would of been to be in RTO, before this General pick came around. At least I will be closer to home until that time comes. That's the dim side of this.

Who knows maybe this will be your last pick in the DOB. You got two classes out and another two in. So next two classes start around April.

APRIL! OHHhhhhh the waiting really sucks! :D

Would they start a class earlier, if enough of the students from those classes get "dismissed"?

APRIL! OHHhhhhh the waiting really sucks! :)

Would they start a class earlier, if enough of the students from those classes get "dismissed"?

I'm pullin' for you all the way D. All good things come to those who wait. I've been in that situation before. It won't be long. For now you're in a more comfortable place and that's where you'll get the call. At home.

Archived