Question about "No Standing" at bus stops

mark1447

Lol. It means cars can't "stand" there. It has nothing to do with pedestrians.

No standing zones apply specifically to any type of vehicle. In bus lanes, standing is a huge no-no because standing in a bus lane can mess up the flow of bus traffic when loading and unloading passengers. This is a huge problem with cabbies, who really like to idle in bus lanes.

If a person parks his or her car right next to the bus stop sign his/her car can be towed without warning. A person can face a fine if his/her car stays there too long. Remember, a bus stop is a bus stop, not for cars, not for trucks, only buses.

Lol. It means cars can't "stand" there. It has nothing to do with pedestrians.

Really? A few yrs ago a b/o told me its for people not to stand next to the stop but in the shelter.. I didnt believe him anyways.

Since its for parking, why would it says No Standing? I would have it No Parking..

Thanks and the rest too

Really? A few yrs ago a b/o told me its for people not to stand next to the stop but in the shelter.. I didnt believe him anyways.

Since its for parking, why would it says No Standing? I would have it No Parking..

Thanks and the rest too

You cant "stand" there in you car at any time, only to load/unload passengers

Standing is an even worse problem in bus lanes. If you have an M34 in the bus lane and there is a car parked in front of it then the bus has to switch lanes, create congestion, just to get back into the lane once it passes the car. Bottlenecking issues right there.

thanks that nailed it for me :P!

Standing is an even worse problem in bus lanes. If you have an M34 in the bus lane and there is a car parked in front of it then the bus has to switch lanes, create congestion, just to get back into the lane once it passes the car. Bottlenecking issues right there.

yeah.. Especially the BRT on the Bx12. I dunno why DOT allows people to park on weekends and after rush hrs.. Traffic is still going on in certain places. Which sucks when the lane is closed for BRT

thanks that nailed it for me :P!

yeah.. Especially the BRT on the Bx12. I dunno why DOT allows people to park on weekends and after rush hrs.. Traffic is still going on in certain places. Which sucks when the lane is closed for BRT

Especially during the Orchard Beach season, bus lane need to be enforce and make longer hours.

I remember when I was living in Yorkville, I was coming from West Side from M96 East, when RTS bus had wheelchair person want to get off at Lex Av, but there was lady with jeep standing at that stop.

I remember the conversation:

Rude Lady in Jeep: Can you go around?

B/O: I have wheelchair to drop off, you can't stand in bus stop.

Rude Lady: So what.

That lady told B/O was rude, but not. She was the one rude, and it only went into little urgument.

On Sunday, in front of Metropolitan Museum of Art, it is very awful because there are not enough space for charter buses, some charter buses park illegaly on city or sightseeing bus stops, because charter bus layover is not enough space.

• 10 years later...

I have a ticket, I was in Queens Jamaica. the sign said no standing bus lane and it also says: no parking from 10am-4pm

including sundays! so I thought I could park there as I arrived at 5 and at 510pm there was a ticket on my car! am I Wrong

or is NY looking for a Buck out of me? please help me with this. I even gave them pictures of the sign, I am not from NY as

you can tell.. please help as I would like to know if this is worth going on to court to fight this ticket or if its just easier to pay

the 115$ ticket, oh mind you they never sent me a copy of the hearing bc I disputed it and just found out today 2months later that

they say I am guilty! so was I wrong or is this NY Judge wrong?

thanks!

On 3/11/2020 at 1:26 PM, ren51113 said:

I have a ticket, I was in Queens Jamaica. the sign said no standing bus lane and it also says: no parking from 10am-4pm

including sundays! so I thought I could park there as I arrived at 5 and at 510pm there was a ticket on my car! am I Wrong

or is NY looking for a Buck out of me? please help me with this. I even gave them pictures of the sign, I am not from NY as

you can tell.. please help as I would like to know if this is worth going on to court to fight this ticket or if its just easier to pay

the 115$ ticket, oh mind you they never sent me a copy of the hearing bc I disputed it and just found out today 2months later that

they say I am guilty! so was I wrong or is this NY Judge wrong?

thanks!

@ren51113 as this topic has not been posted on in 11 years, maybe post in the Random Thoughts Thread!

@Cait Sith @Deucey @Harry @SevenEleven or one of the other mods, maybe shut this thread?

Thanks!

Edited by Jova42R

• Harry locked this topic