Has anyone ridden a train from the 1st to last stop?

Daniel The Cool

then maybe its the ride's length...because if i recall, the (A) local we took a while back had me wishing the train would up and switch to express track.

That's cause you weren't enjoying the RFW. I know I was. :cool:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's cause you weren't enjoying the RFW. I know I was. :cool:

I wanted RFW action once we got above ground though. That's when it gets good. Not much to see in the tunnel...unless tracks fascinate you. I admit that I can get a bit interested in seeing a ton of cross tracks.

I wanted RFW action once we got above ground though. That's when it gets good. Not much to see in the tunnel...unless tracks fascinate you. I admit that I can get a bit interested in seeing a ton of cross tracks.

Looking out the RFW is how I learned my signals.

It's just as fast as any other local. Takes about 2 minutes to get from station to station just like any other local.

I definitely disagree with that. Being a Staten Islander since the 1990s, I can definitely tell you that the (1) beats the (R) to Times Sq by at least 6 minutes.

The (R) does have good service though, but it's a very annoying ride. Going into 86th/4th downtown it slows to 5mph for timers, and it also has to slow down before every express station, something that other locals don't do. Whenever I'm going to the ferry, the (R) is usually the last train I'll take if I'm not near the (4) or (1).

I definitely disagree with that. Being a Staten Islander since the 1990s, I can definitely tell you that the (1) beats the (R) to Times Sq by at least 6 minutes.

The (R) does have good service though, but it's a very annoying ride. Going into 86th/4th downtown it slows to 5mph for timers, and it also has to slow down before every express station, something that other locals don't do. Whenever I'm going to the ferry, the (R) is usually the last train I'll take if I'm not near the (4) or (1).

Yeah the (1) doesn't have that annoying S curve after Cortland St. as well as the (timer?) before Canal. My most recent "complaint" about service on 7th avenue is that whole ordeal where the trains don't hold for each other at express stops. Its very annoying to see an express train that's not all that crowded close up and leave just as your local is about to let people off. :)

I would imagine that the (1) has shorter headways than the (R) at most times which is why it's probably a faster alternative coming from So/Fy. But Y2 is correct, the (R) is very reliable and it's rare to see any substantial delays. I ride it from end to end every so often and I can tell you this... Last time I went from 86/4 to CTL, I decided on my return trip to use the (F). I transferred to the (D) at 34/6 and by the time I was waiting for the (R) again at 36 St, Bkln, I recognized it as the same train I had passed up at CTL. So I saved no time, I just wasted time waiting for the transfers. Both the (F) and (D) crawled at some points (this was PM rush), but the (R) appeared to be on time. I know that using those expresses can often save time on that route, but sometimes it's six of one, half-dozen of the other.

My most recent "complaint" about service on 7th avenue is that whole ordeal where the trains don't hold for each other at express stops. Its very annoying to see an express train that's not all that crowded close up and leave just as your local is about to let people off. :P
That's the (4)(5)(6), and (6)<6>

I would imagine that the (1) has shorter headways than the (R) at most times which is why it's probably a faster alternative coming from So/Fy. But Y2 is correct, the (R) is very reliable and it's rare to see any substantial delays. I ride it from end to end every so often and I can tell you this... Last time I went from 86/4 to CTL, I decided on my return trip to use the (F). I transferred to the (D) at 34/6 and by the time I was waiting for the (R) again at 36 St, Bkln, I recognized it as the same train I had passed up at CTL. So I saved no time, I just wasted time waiting for the transfers. Both the (F) and (D) crawled at some points (this was PM rush), but the (R) appeared to be on time. I know that using those expresses can often save time on that route, but sometimes it's six of one, half-dozen of the other.

From my experience, Taking the F to D to R is faster then riding the R straight through to Bay Ridge. If U restricted yourself to waiting ONLY for the D, then it might have ruined the time savings a little bit if the B shows up 1st. I normally would wait for the B or D, whatever comes 1st to transfer over to the R @ DeKalb (:P or 36 (D). Even taking the B saves time!

My guess is that there must of have been some slight delays the day you took it!

Today I did a round trip on the ©/(K): WTC-168th and back. I'm not gonna hunt down the "(K)" again, I'm content with doing a round trip on the line. I really hope they bring this service change back real soon though!

I really haven't had that much curiosity to ride entire lines from end to end, but on Friday I rode the entirety of the (7) as I went to a restaurant in Flushing with some friends.

I have been at all the stations of the (A), but not in the same ride or on the same day.

The only other train I have come close to riding in full is the (L), but have yet to take it to the Canarsie end (Broadway Junction being the last stop for me on every (L) ride).

Of course, I have taken all the shuttles except the late night Lefferts shuttle on more than one occasion.

I have taken the (F) from Jamaica-179th to 34th St-Herald Square on a weekend, when the (E) was running on the 6 Av line and terminated at Herald Sq, so I followed pretty much the entire (E) line but not on the (E).

Whenever I'm going to the dentist in Manhattan, I have to take the (E) from Jamaica Center to World Trade Center.

Other times, I think I've only done the following: (F)(J) 42nd St (S) [ha] (Z).

Yeah, that's it.

LOL. Who hasn't taken the 42nd St shuttle from terminal to terminal? I think it would be really difficult to find someone who didn't take it the whole way.

(Except, perhaps, the guy jumping out of the train in the video in this thread:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13559)

interesting topic...i've done a few trips myself...

(7)<7> (LCL & EXP) - R36WF, 62A (best was the redbird going EXP)

(A) - R44 (EXP Lefferts-207)

(E) - R32

(J) - R160A (by mistake lol)

(R) - R46 (the longest, or at least it felt like it...)

(S) - 42nd St, Franklin, Rock Pk (H)*, Lefferts (A), Myrtle-Metro (M)

*the shuttle ran from Euclid to Rock Pk.

Archived