Has anyone ridden a train from the 1st to last stop?

Daniel The Cool

I forgot the Shuttles:

(S) Forty-Second Street Shuttle

(S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle

(H) Rockaway Park Shuttle

70(SS) Culver Shuttle

70(SS) Bowling Green-South Ferry Shuttle

There was a Bowling Green-South Ferry shuttle? How short was it?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't that mean the (1) will need you to get off the first 5 cars for that station again?

Bowling Green SS will have nothing to do with the 1 train it self,and they don't have to run 5 cars long to use the old SF loop since it's just SS route.

They should bring it back...

The only benefit would be a shorter walk from Bowling Green to the SI Ferry. From what I've read, there was not a transfer to the 70(1) during the time it ran, and with the (1) now at an entirely new station, that would probably still be the case. The whole point of the new South Ferry station was to eliminate the problems associated with the gap fillers at old So/Fy. So it's highly doubtful that they would find another use for it in revenue.

The only benefit would be a shorter walk from Bowling Green to the SI Ferry. From what I've read, there was not a transfer to the 70(1) during the time it ran, and with the (1) now at an entirely new station, that would probably still be the case. The whole point of the new South Ferry station was to eliminate the problems associated with the gap fillers at old So/Fy. So it's highly doubtful that they would find another use for it in revenue.

So where's the old station of SS route at SF since you couldn't get a transfer from it to the (1)?

So where's the old station of SS route at SF since you couldn't get a transfer from it to the (1)?

The 70(SS) stopped at the inner loop across from where the (1) used to be. This photo from Dave's sites shows it in relation to the (1) platform. Notice the arched cut outs in the wall for where the doors would line up with the platform, it wasn't a fully open platform. Apparently, it was almost like another station altogether, separate from the (1) train section which is why there was no transfer. If shuttle service were to be restored today, it would likely use the outer loop formerly used by the (1).

http://images.nycsubway.org/i80000/img_80821.jpg

They should bring it back...

I see hardly any need. As Broadway Buffer pointed out, its only advantage would be to shorten the walk to SI Ferry's Whitehall Terminal, but the time spent in making the transfer to the shuttle will make that a moot point.

South Ferry has nowhere near the kind of passenger traffic that justifies the need for the 42nd St shuttle.

South Ferry has nowhere near the kind of passenger traffic that justifies the need for the 42nd St shuttle.

I recall a couple of years ago there were talks of eliminating that (S) as well. One of the alternatives was to build a pedestrian passageway with moving walkways similar to the one between 23/Ely and Court Sq. Fortunately, nothing came of it.

I recall a couple of years ago there were talks of eliminating that (S) as well. One of the alternatives was to build a pedestrian passageway with moving walkways similar to the one between 23/Ely and Court Sq. Fortunately, nothing came of it.

Actually not too bad an idea. The (7) train should provide service between GCT and Times Sq just as well, and will make a stop on Bryant Park if you desire to get off there. A moving walkway seems fair enough.

I have often wondered why only 14th and 42nd Streets have such good crosstown services, while everything in between requires long walks outside the subway or crosstown buses, both of which incur an extra fare. The 42nd Street users should perhaps just take a walk inside the subway. A moving walkway should reduce the time needed for a 0.8 mile walk, and would move people continuously and not every 5 minutes.

However, the damage done to the subway's heritage if the 42nd St shuttle were to be removed would be too great, given it was part of the original IRT subway system.

From terminal to terminal I have ridden several lines including:

(A)/(:P West End to Coney Island, now Brighton to Brighton Beach\©/(D) Brighton to Coney Island, now West End, sometimes G.O.s Sea Beach\(E)(F)(G)(J)(L)(M)/(N)sometimes G.O.s West End\(Q)(Q6)<Q>®/current (W) line and before when it ran via West End to Coney Island, and exp in Manhattan when the (N)(R) ran loc\.

Also the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)<5>(6)<6>(7)<7>(9) lines.

Actually not too bad an idea. The (7) train should provide service between GCT and Times Sq just as well, and will make a stop on Bryant Park if you desire to get off there. A moving walkway seems fair enough.

I have often wondered why only 14th and 42nd Streets have such good crosstown services, while everything in between requires long walks outside the subway or crosstown buses, both of which incur an extra fare. The 42nd Street users should perhaps just take a walk inside the subway. A moving walkway should reduce the time needed for a 0.8 mile walk, and would move people continuously and not every 5 minutes.

However, the damage done to the subway's heritage if the 42nd St shuttle were to be removed would be too great, given it was part of the original IRT subway system.

Problem with the walkways is that they're prone to break downs as seen with the 23/Ely to Court Sq ones. The (7) has enough riders as is, and I would also note how the (S) has provided alternate service overnight at times when the (7) was affected by GOs so there are benefits to keeping it as is. Of course there is the heritage, but I would think that at least one track would remain for use as the connection between the East & West Side Lines.

Problem with the walkways is that they're prone to break downs as seen with the 23/Ely to Court Sq ones. The (7) has enough riders as is, and I would also note how the (S) has provided alternate service overnight at times when the (7) was affected by GOs so there are benefits to keeping it as is. Of course there is the heritage, but I would think that at least one track would remain for use as the connection between the East & West Side Lines.

Thanks, I understand. I think the OP wants the thread to stay on topic, so we should end the discussion here.

The only train I have ever rode from the first to the last stop in one sitting was the (1) from 242nd to South Ferry (the old station).

I know it's probably inauthentic, but I have rode several lines from their first to last stop in separate chunks, most notably the (A) (Far Rockaway), but also the (7)(9)(C)(N) and (Q).

Have only managed one terminal on the (4)(5)(6)(;)(D)(E)(F)(L)(V) or (W).

Archived