Increasing the (L)'s Terminal Capacity

R32 3348

Damn, what a shame. Any sort of additional trackage would be benificial for the L train. I guess it comes down to extending the tracks past the 8th Av 'walls' if they wanted to speed up the turn around times for the L on the Manhattan side.

From what I have heard, CBTC and now ATO do allow trains to enter the terminals faster then under normal operations. As to how true this is, I don't know since I have no reason to ride the (L). So far, I think the whole CBTC thing is a waste since I keep hearing that only 1 extra train has been added to service and no more can be.

I'll use Jamaica Center as an example. Because the switch is so far from the terminal, the terminal only has a 12TPH turning capacity. South Ferry is a normal (if not improved) terminal and can handle 24TPH. That's a difference of a 2.5 minute wait time and a 5 minute wait time. Getting back to the (L), if you're only able to add 1 TPH to the line with CBTC then the $$ is a real waste. If you can do more to increase thoroughput (installing a switch isn't even so major that it can't be done outside of weekend G.O.s) then it would make CBTC more effective on the (L) and help to decrease crowding like the project was originally supposed to do.

That is true with the South Ferry & Jamaica Center theories, especially when trains come and go at such a fast rate in those terminals. (1) trains at the New South Ferry would come and go without any delays with the new switch track just a few feet from Rector Street Station, then it takes one good curve around and into the station. Same with the (E) trains between 4 and 6PM, trains come and go at a rate where delays are not often encountered at the terminal.

CBTC only brought in slightly more crowds & a bit more delay/wait time than regular service trains. From my times riding the (L) line, it sure has gotten much more crowded than it used to.

Want to come up to BERA and volunteer in their track department to see how "easy" that work is?

I must ask, why must you ask such a question that is irrelevant to this topic?

I must ask, why must you ask such a question that is irrelevant to this topic?

Cause the OP said that an interlocking could be done in a weekend GO. If the OP came up to BERA, he would see that doing track work takes a long time and is not easy work.

Cause the OP said that an interlocking could be done in a weekend GO. If the OP came up to BERA, he would see that doing track work takes along time and is not easy work.

I'll use Jamaica Center as an example. Because the switch is so far from the terminal, the terminal only has a 12TPH turning capacity. South Ferry is a normal (if not improved) terminal and can handle 24TPH. That's a difference of a 2.5 minute wait time and a 5 minute wait time. Getting back to the (L), if you're only able to add 1 TPH to the line with CBTC then the $$ is a real waste. If you can do more to increase thoroughput (installing a switch isn't even so major that it can't be done outside of weekend G.O.s) then it would make CBTC more effective on the (L) and help to decrease crowding like the project was originally supposed to do.

That clearly state outside of weekend G.Os, which means more than one. But of course, someone has always gotta interpret the statement as the obvious before reading it carefully....

But we cant also forget the late night work that occurs along the lines as well in conjunction with the switch/signal & track work which has plagued several lines as of late including the recent infamous Queens Blvd track/signal work....

Don't some (L)s make last stop at Myrtle and B'way Jct.?

Yes, they do.

In addition, leaving Cortelyou Road, workers this past weekend severed the local and express tracks to allow work to be done on the NewkirkAvenue downtown local side. The only thing though was that it was just a straight connection and they didn't install any switches or anything.

It's not about jobs ending at Myrtle. The jobs would all be from Canarsie (with about one starting from 8th Ave.), but select intervals that end at Myrtle.

If they end at the Junction, I don't know how they do that. They would have to relay south of Atlantic. Perhaps they simply skip all the stops heading to Canarsie yard. I think I've heard of them doing that. Or was this a really old work program where they still had the middle tracks at Atlantic?

I was a looking at a work program from 2 years ago. Back then there were no trains that were scheduled to terminate at Myrtle but at least 4 that terminated at the junction. They would drop out then run light into Canarsie yard.

Cause the OP said that an interlocking could be done in a weekend GO. If the OP came up to BERA, he would see that doing track work takes a long time and is not easy work.

I said a few weekends, not just one weekend. The (7) line switch work in the 74th St. vicinity was done in 3 weekends (originally 5 but completed in 3 due to better than expected weather).

I said a few weekends, not just one weekend. The (7) line switch work in the 74th St. vicinity was done in 3 weekends (originally 5 but completed in 3 due to better than expected weather).

Ah ok so it was a misunderstanding. The way it sounded to me and some others was that it would take 1 Saturday thru Monday GO to put in the switch. Seeing how that has all ready been done on the (L) and it has made no real impact, it's a mutt point now.

Archived