Does anyone remember the B-Division Redbirds?

R10 2952

I took my first ride to the Rockaways in a R27/R30 Redbird set on the (C) in the summer of 1988. I don't think the B.M.T./IND. Redbird is as remembered because it was only the R27/R30.

They were also in service as Redbirds for a very short time and most of them were on the <(C)> which was a rush hour extra service.

So where was the (A) and ©'s mainstay the R38 back then? You'd swear the (NYCT) built them just for the 8 ave line.

What, the R38s? They ran on other lines during their lives, but they were kept on the (A) and the (C) during the last 10-15 years.

The R38s replaced the R40S on the A in 1983 or so. The R38s really did not show up on the C until the mid-late 1990s. They actually had A line strip maps installed pretty much fleet-wide. The R32s were what replaced the R30s on the C. The R30s from the Eastern Division replaced the R10s which were previously on the C line.

I recall seeing R38's in the early/mid 70's on the Queens Blvd (E,F,EE,GG) line (Jamaica yard). I recall the last 10 cars which were the first to have a/c. I often wondered why then the first 200 R40S's did not have A/c and only the last 100 did as did the 100 40M's. R40's of both variety also ran on this line although the slants were only on the E and F while a few 40M's ran on the EE and GG. Ironically R32's and R42's did not run out of Jamaica at this time (44's and then 46's did for E and F only and R16's for the local EE and GG with some R1-9's which were scrapped as the 46's came in) although Jamaica had the brunt of the R32's (some 400 or so) after GOH and no 38's or 40's after GOH (post 1990) until the 40M's came back for less than a year or so in 2008 as did the 42's which have been running for more than a year now.

I remember them. A lot from the Jamaica el, what's called the J today and the M line. Mostly, they weren't on lines that I frequently used. They were like larger version of IRT trains and in the 1970s and 1980s not air-conditioned. Truly, I have no fond memories of redbirds.

Well i do remember me and moms would spend hot,humid and scorching summers on those R30's back when they ran on the (M) line years ago jam packed during Rush Hours and no A/C.Thank god for the new A/C trains of today.

lol wow kid, ive seen them on the (C) and dat was it. i do remember taking an R32 on the (:) with BLUE DOORS. they looked cool once, but ive gotten used to my R68/R68A's. lol.

Archived