The 2009 MLB Hunt for October! Who will go all the way this year?

mass production

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears the Yankees will host either the Tigers or the Twins and the Angels will host the Red Sox in the American League. The National League is still a tiny bit unsettled with the Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies, Rockies and Braves.

This is turning out to be an interesting season. The Yankees are the only club with 95 wins or more (the Dodgers and Angels have a tiny chance of winning 95) and in the A.L., hardly anyone has a winning record on the road.

Being that I only follow American League I can tell that we have a great chance of making it in. The Sox aren't doing so great offensively as they always have trouble in clutch situations.

The Tigers are going to be a challenge, but I have a feeling that we'll come through.

The Angels are another story. They have the best offensive hitting team and the best defense. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to them as they have every aspect of good team chemistry like the Yankees (minus Sergio and Joba's devil innings).

They really should do away with Interleague, not only has it made the All Star and WS games irrelevant [as chances are people have seen those players/teams play each other], but also it's made a mess of the schedules especially since 2 NL teams have to be left out.

Baseball really shouldn't have expanded so quickly. If they had stayed at 28 teams: they could've moved the Marlins to Tampa Bay and the Expos to DC and finally the A's to Arizona.

But I like Detroit being in the central, so the Brewers would still move to the NL central, but to shift the Tigers to the AL Central, I would move the Pirates into the AL East so at least the Pennsylvania teams would be in 2 leagues than just one.

They really should do away with Interleague, not only has it made the All Star and WS games irrelevant [as chances are people have seen those players/teams play each other]

How has it made them irrelevant? Just because you've seen them play each other already doesn't mean anything. It's a different situation in July than in October.

How has it made them irrelevant? Just because you've seen them play each other already doesn't mean anything. It's a different situation in July than in October.

WS ratings have been dipping over the years. Yes granted some of the matchups were teams of either the same region or teams not many people cared about.

Point still stands that the WS isn't as special anymore since some people might've seen the two teams play each other already.

WS ratings have been dipping over the years. Yes granted some of the matchups were teams of either the same region or teams not many people cared about.

Point still stands that the WS isn't as special anymore since some people might've seen the two teams play each other already.

I think it might be that teams that not many people care about are playing rather than people have seen them play each other already. Take the Rays last year for example. Worst to first, yes, but they just don't have that reputation and legacy that the Yankees or Red Sox or Cubs or Dodgers have.

And interleague is scheduled so that a certain team plays a certain region once every three years. I don't see a problem with that. It's not like they're playing every single team every year.

I understand the Mets-Yankees games will always be popular and such, but I dunno. I still kinda feel this was a nice gimick that started in 97, but really has run its course. Plus it would've been nice if there were only 28 teams so the sched would not be so imbalanced.

Fine if not the WS, the All Star game has taken its hits. It is not as popular as it used to be and I think we can both agree the 'it counts thing' is just stupid and should just be exhibition than to affect the outcome of the WS. The WS should be determined by which ever of the two teams standing having the better record. That way all the games played would have meaning.

Major League Baseball should go back to tradition: The All-Star Game rotates fairly once every thirty years; the World Series alternates fairly between the American and National Leagues and while I admit the Wildcard has added excitement with two more teams qualifying, I think it could be improved.

Four divisions would allow eight teams to qualify - each of them first place teams. In the A.L. you could do two four team divisions and two three team divisions and in the N.L. you could do four four team divisions.

I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Divison Series Best Of Three

A.L. #1 plays A.L. #4

A.L. #2 plays A.L. #3

N.L. #1 plays N.L. #4

N.L. #2 plays N.L. #3

League Championship Series Best Of Five

World Series Best Of Seven

About the All-Star Game: While it would take thirty years to rotate fairly today, in that time, New York City, Washington, D.C./Baltimore, San Francisco/Oakland and Los Angeles/Anaheim would see the game twice and the Chicago region three times. Other regions such as St. Louis/Kansas City, Houston/Dallas/Fort Worth, Cincinnatti/Cleveland, Philadelphia/Pittsburgh and Miami/Tampa Bay would also see the game twice.

They really should do away with Interleague, not only has it made the All Star and WS games irrelevant.

The world series is for the championship, the only way it could be made irrelevant is if they had Bud Selig dress up as a clown and make sweet love to the winning manager while announcing the real championship will be a last place team verus the Harlem Globetrotters in a Hockey game.

Interleague has wrecked the all star game because it takes away from the rare matchups of NL pitchers versus AL hitters and vice versa that would take place during the middle of the regular season.

Also rating mean nothing towards signficance, just because less peepers are on the world series doesn't mean the games carry less weight.

Interleague has wrecked the all star game because it takes away from the rare matchups of NL pitchers versus AL hitters and vice versa that would take place during the middle of the regular season.
I understand this is about regular season games vs. the playoffs, but still if anyone has seen the two teams playing in the WS play each other in the regular season, it loses that appeal of how no one has seen them playing each other.

Of course there's more at stake for the WS, but for most people who don't care about the two teams playing: why should they watch it if they have already during the regular season? That's what I'm saying.

So great some of you [in general] like Interleague, but I would prefer it being just intercity/state rivalries.

No more AL vs NL, the schedule needs to be evened out for teams playing others in their own league where it matters the most.

Ex: why should the Mets play 3 games against the Royals when they should be playing against the Cardinals? Or why should a team be playing another team for only 4 games for the only time in the season and never return back to the park? the schedule is imbalanced.

I like Intereague and like it to stay. It provides unique matchups and helps temporarily boost stuggling teams' attendance. The latter is really important; without money and fan attendance, how can teams make mone and afford to sign players?

I also like the imbalanced schedule, because in my view, if you want to win your division, then you should play against and beat your own division. That was also likely why this imbalanced schedule was introduced.

As for the playoffs, as a Red Sox fan *bricked*, I hope they win the World Series again and give them their third World title this decade. For the NL, I like the Rockies or Cardinals.

But who'll the Yanks play? I hope it's the Tigers, but we'll find it Tuesday night. Another game at the Metrodome; that stadium will explode come gametime. :P

Well I'm just stating my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree [agree to disagree].

Anyways back on topic: I hope the Twins and Tigers goes into 17 innings :P Tire out their rotations and go all out at each other. That'll force them to use at best their 2nd or 3rd best starter for the playoffs. Personally I hope the Twins win, Yankees have always dominated them.

And again I will root for boston for the sole reason to beat the Angels.

While I would like the Dodgers for Torre, I dunno. I'm not really sure who in the NL I want to win.

I'm a bit more confident in the Yankees than previous years. That doesn't mean I think they'll win it all. If CC Sabathia performs to his potential then the Yankees will easily beat Detroit or Minnesota. However, if he chokes again in the postseason then the Yankees will be playing golf in two weeks.

Archived