Mayor Bloomberg calls for smart parking meters, amnesty program for unpaid tickets

Harry

Mayor Bloomberg wants to make life a little easier for New York drivers.

In a plan unveiled exclusively on the Daily News' Op-Ed page today, he calls for smart parking meters that can tell drivers when a space is empty, take payment from a cell phone instead of a handful of quarters and send an alert when time is about to expire.

The mayor said he will explore eliminating the $2 fee to pay parking tickets by credit card, as well as an amnesty program to get some of the $700 million the city is owed from old tickets.

The Department of Transportation will also continue reducing alternate-side-parking hours in some neighborhoods, from twice-a-week, three-hour chunks to 90 minutes once a week.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/09/30/2009-09-30_mikes_bid_to_give_drivers_break.html#ixzz0Sai0ftPp

post-1-133288581042_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581042_thumb.jpg

:tdown::mad:

all of this costs the city money to help those who own cars, and this is mainly aimed to ease things for the wealthy in Manhattan. Another bloomturd decision. vote this assclown out of office, seriously...please. and transit still winds up underfunded.

if they really wanted to help those who own cars, they would make the place easier to drive in. Park n Ride lots on the outer avenues, and reduce the amount of bike lanes which becomes a hazard for motorists. Also more checks on cab drivers and penalties if they drive recklessly.

The city's traffic is a balancing act, theyre trying to get people to take buses and subways that are already overcrowded in rush hour (eg. (4)(5)(6) ). Some places its just not convenient to rely solely on mass transit, notably outer Brooklyn, eastern queens, and Staten island. More parking is going to be a necessity. Even Long Island the railroad stations need more parking.

If it were possible, I would put a large parking lot at the end of the Long Island Expressway, and have some sort of system to get people into manhattan that connects with the subway. Perhaps a similar thing coming in from Westchester.

I do wonder though, with all teh cars running around Manhattan, where do they go and where do they park, and is there a subway they could take?

then they have the New York City Motor Speedway (ie Cross Island and Belt Pkwy), I cant count how many times i have nearly gotten clipped by people going like 80 in the right lane while im trying to get on the parkway, and theyre doing nearly 100 in the left lane.

Thats what sucks about long island, to get off and onto the mainland we have to drive thru the hornets nest known as the new york city highways.

Archived