R160 assignments

jimbob60

I am new to this forum and this may be a redundant question but will all of the remaining 300+ R160's (aside from the final 32 4 car sets scheduled for ENY) go to Jamaica yard. If so Jamaica will have 820 R160's (9123-9942) which will allow for all 160 E,F with some for the R and G or will 100 or so go to CI so that the N,Q,W will be all R160? If all go to Jamaica, then Jamaica will shift some 25 train equivalents R46's to Pitkin to replace the R32's. Also I have seen some ask if the 32 4 car sets are enough for ENY since there are 50 or so R42's. But conversion of R143's is keeping more of these cars out of service than usual. Looking at car assignment schedules, 372 R160's (46.5 trains) should easily cover the M and J/Z allowing 3 trains or so for the L. Speaking of the L, any firm word on R143 8277 at the Kawasaki plant? It has been some time since the accident now.

Welcome to the boards! The rest of the order should be going to Jamaica. 32 cars, from what I hear, should be enough to replace 50 R42s, provided that ENY loses 2 of its spare trains.

ENY trains can not be transfered anywere sinc they are only 4 car unit ment for the (J),(M) and (L). ENY right now does not have any trains to spare for them selfs.

He didn't say that any ENY cars would be transferred anywhere else; he was pointing out that the 32 160's from the option would be enough to replace the 50 R42's because of the different spare ratio. Also, the OP's mention of 143's being out for work would also figure.

...Speaking of the L, any firm word on R143 8277 at the Kawasaki plant? It has been some time since the accident now.

Lemme start by saying welcome. And I also wondered that same question about that car. Its been about 2 years now and I'm still confused on if they gonna rebuild 8277 or scrap it.

8277 was sent back for repairs. it's mates are sitting on the south side of the 207th shop being used for some window glazing experiment or somesorta thing like that.

there was talk of some newer 160s heading for CI to shift out 68s that would be sent elsewhere in order to allow the shift of the C to 600' trains.

that could happen. some R160s will still go to Coney Island, but not a lot, probably 40-50 cars the most.

Lemme start by saying welcome. And I also wondered that same question about that car. Its been about 2 years now and I'm still confused on if they gonna rebuild 8277 or scrap it.

more like 3 years. they need to repair that car because without it, the rest of the set is totally useless

Welcome to the boards! The rest of the order should be going to Jamaica. 32 cars, from what I hear, should be enough to replace 50 R42s, provided that ENY loses 2 of its spare trains.

Jamaica is not getting the rest of the five-car R160s. it does not have enough room and is already overloaded with R46s and R160s.

Maybe the (R) might get some R160s.

i refuse to believe that until it actually happens.

Once Jamaica has a bit more than 550 R160's (It has about 500 now), it no longer needs any of the remaining R42's and R32's (The V goes back to all R46) and with additional cars, R46's get moved to A & C. Jamaica had just over 400 R32's in early 2008 before receiving anything else and all of the R46's of which 13 train equivalents (104 75 ft cars) have been since shifted to the A & C. If CI gets some more R160's so that the N,Q & W are exclusively R160 then where do the remaining R68's (R68A's) not needed by the D, B & shuttle (about 12 car equivalents) go? Do the A & C take these and run R44, R46 and R68A?

R68/68As on the (A)(C) is just a possibility and no one knows whether or not it will actually happen. The (N)(W) are already exclusively R160s and the (Q) is no more 6-7 trains away from being like them, so it would not be a problem to send some to Coney Island. The (F) though, is still more than 10 trains away from being exclusively R160s.

Once Jamaica has a bit more than 550 R160's (It has about 500 now), it no longer needs any of the remaining R42's and R32's (The V goes back to all R46) and with additional cars, R46's get moved to A & C. Jamaica had just over 400 R32's in early 2008 before receiving anything else and all of the R46's of which 13 train equivalents (104 75 ft cars) have been since shifted to the A & C. If CI gets some more R160's so that the N,Q & W are exclusively R160 then where do the remaining R68's (R68A's) not needed by the D, B & shuttle (about 12 car equivalents) go? Do the A & C take these and run R44, R46 and R68A?

If Jamaica gets the rest of the R160s (minus the 32 for ENY) then that's 360 more cars for Jamaica. There's still ~110 R42s and ~30 R32s (probably slightly less for both of them), so once all the SMEE's are retired then that's ~220 cars for Jamaica. There are ~210 R32's at 207th St. so Jamaica can get the rest of the R160s if they send R46's to 207th St. to retire the R32s. The other 10 R160s would replace the ones at CI (but would go to Jamaica, since if the R32's weren't retiring they would head back to Jamaica when the Brighton local only service is over).

i refuse to believe that until it actually happens.

That's what they said before the (F) got them. It will happen being that retirement of the 60 ft SMEEs is imminent and some R-46s have been transferred (and may continue to be transferred) for use on the (A) (and eventually the (C)), R-160s will eventually hit the (R) and could probably turn up on any line based out of Jamaica.

If Jamaica gets the rest of the R160s (minus the 32 for ENY) then that's 360 more cars for Jamaica. There's still ~110 R42s and ~30 R32s (probably slightly less for both of them), so once all the SMEE's are retired then that's ~220 cars for Jamaica. There are ~210 R32's at 207th St. so Jamaica can get the rest of the R160s if they send R46's to 207th St. to retire the R32s. The other 10 R160s would replace the ones at CI (but would go to Jamaica, since if the R32's weren't retiring they would head back to Jamaica when the Brighton local only service is over).

Something else also enters into the equation: whenever CI supplies the cars for the G, be it R68, R68A, or R160, Jamaica will require less cars in the fleet and CI would need more.

"Whenever" is the operative word because there is no starting date on when this would happen but it can't be till late May/early June 2010 at the absolute earliest due to the current pick and G line schedule.

8277 was sent back for repairs. it's mates are sitting on the south side of the 207th shop being used for some window glazing experiment or somesorta thing like that.

there was talk of some newer 160s heading for CI to shift out 68s that would be sent elsewhere in order to allow the shift of the C to 600' trains.

While that could be done, I still don't see why they should send R68's to Pitkin. It would make more sense to just make the A/C all R44/46 than to add a 3rd train type to maintain.

Wouldn't it be easier to just send more R160's to Jamaica to push out the R46's?

Something else also enters into the equation: whenever CI supplies the cars for the G, be it R68, R68A, or R160, Jamaica will require less cars in the fleet and CI would need more.

"Whenever" is the operative word because there is no starting date on when this would happen but it can't be till late May/early June 2010 at the absolute earliest due to the current pick and G line schedule.

*I won't pretend to know anything about how fleet moves work*, but for the G to be based from CI, would it basically mean the F would have to vacate and equal amount of space in CI/Av X so the G can be based from there and the F 'storing' more trains at Jamaica yard?

I guess if the G runs R68/R160's, it would mean more R46's freed up to be moved to perhaps Pitkin yard.

*I won't pretend to know anything about how fleet moves work*, but for the G to be based from CI, would it basically mean the F would have to vacate and equal amount of space in CI/Av X so the G can be based from there and the F 'storing' more trains at Jamaica yard?

I guess if the G runs R68/R160's, it would mean more R46's freed up to be moved to perhaps Pitkin yard.

What I mean is that the G cars would eventually be assigned to CIYD for maintance purposes. That has nothing to do with layup locations, un-needed trains would be stored in Church Ave. yard. When the G line would send a b/o train or one due for inspection to CIYD, they would immediately get a replacement.

Currently, there are 5 AM put-ins out of Church Ave. Yard, 3 are laid up after the AM rush, 2 come out for the PM rush, then 4 are laid up after PM service, then the cycle starts all over again the next day. I don't know what the deal is on the weekend, but whatever comes out throughout the day gets replaced at night.

While that could be done, I still don't see why they should send R68's to Pitkin. It would make more sense to just make the A/C all R44/46 than to add a 3rd train type to maintain.

Wouldn't it be easier to just send more R160's to Jamaica to push out the R46's?

Some people still believes that the remaining R160Bs are going to CI. If that was the case, then some R68As would have to be shifted elsewhere. Back on topic, the newer R160Bs are not going to CI and are going to Jamaica to displace the R46s to 207th, while the Jamaica 60 ft SMEEs are gone.

when the order is complete will(F) be 100 percent 160s with that many cars left to be delvered that should be enough to make the (F) all 160s plus put some on the on the (R) i have seen car number 9815 on the (E) this weekend

Um, Capitalization and punctuation (!!!) comes in hand you know!

And in regards to 9815, that car has been in service since mid-August, along with the rest of the 9813-9822 consist. Cars in the 9850 series should be entering service shortly, if they haven't entered service yet.

when the order is complete will(F) be 100 percent 160s with that many cars left to be delvered that should be enough to make the (F) all 160s plus put some on the on the (R) i have seen car number 9815 on the (E) this weekend

I did a rough estimate and the F should be mostly R160 with 2-3 sets of R46s if the R needs 3-5 R160 trains to supplement their R46s.

Just curious, once the R160 order is 100% complete and operational, will, like, one or two R160 trainsets be used on the Rockaway Park (S) and it's parent (A) line so that they can run down the Rockaways? I sure hope so, since that line is only R44 (75%) and other **R46 and R32** (25%). Hopefully the (E) or (F) lines' R160 will swap out with the A and share its R160 fleet so that Outer A line anr Rock Park (S) customers can enjoy the brand spanking new cars

I did a rough estimate and the F should be mostly R160 with 2-3 sets of R46s if the R needs 3-5 R160 trains to supplement their R46s.

If the (R) even runs a small amount of R160s, won't the (R) line crew have to be qualified for it? I believe that when the (R) was extended to 179th Street earlier this weekend during GOs, it borrowed R160s from the (E) and the (F), using (E) and (F) crew. I'm not entirely sure though about this, correct me if I'm wrong.

Just curious, once the R160 order is 100% complete and operational, will, like, one or two R160 trainsets be used on the Rockaway Park (S) and it's parent (A) line so that they can run down the Rockaways? I sure hope so, since that line is only R44 (75%) and other **R46 and R32** (25%). Hopefully the (E) or (F) lines' R160 will swap out with the A and share its R160 fleet so that Outer A line anr Rock Park (S) customers can enjoy the brand spanking new cars

No,Pitkin isn't getting any R160's.the only cars they'll be getting is the R46 cars from Jamiaca.

Archived