"Train with mechnical problems"

Abba

If the train wasn't able to move then they'd use a Dieseled locomotive to move it and take it to a shop for repair

And trains with cehinical problem would be like the wheels are not moving or breaks are dead. Somehting like that

Well, the mole people need income, somehow...

Anyway, doesn't the process of removing the broken train vary depending on what is broken?

Yes, Alex L. said he once moved a 20 car train from the 11th car. That would be two 10 car trains hooked up to each other. Some times a door problem can be over come by cutting out the defective door panel, other times the train my need to be taken out of service if the problem causes the T/O to not get indication. There are many different problem that fall under "mechanical problem".

I'm almost positive that this questioned has been answered in another forum, but with all of the questions in T/O Passbook regarding yanking fuses and contact slippers, how often are any of those procedures really performed? I believe that several T/O's have stated that they do very little of that these days and that an RCI is almost always called on-site. Can someone please answer this more thoroughly, or at least provide a link to that thread if one does, in fact, exist? Thanks.

Yes, Alex L. said he once moved a 20 car train from the 11th car. That would be two 10 car trains hooked up to each other...

That is indeed possible. I've seen it done on the (A) when the motorman went to the conductor's cab to operate it from there (it was a R44) and when a R46 set was pushed along by a o/o/s R46 (16 cars)

But it also depends on the problem. If it can it would be fixed on site. If not, it would be sent o/o/s

I'm almost positive that this questioned has been answered in another forum, but with all of the questions in T/O Passbook regarding yanking fuses and contact slippers, how often are any of those procedures really performed? I believe that several T/O's have stated that they do very little of that these days and that an RCI is almost always called on-site. Can someone please answer this more thoroughly, or at least provide a link to that thread if one does, in fact, exist? Thanks.

First off, please throw away the Passbook. If it still mentions yanking fuses, it is horribly out of date.

Since none of the current fleet has a fuse that can be yanked out, that procedure is never performed. Only once have I seen a road train slippered due to a runaway motor; however, I've done it any number of times while teaching.

Minor things happen all the time; bigger problems not so much. That said, I've had four brake pipe ruptures, but have never had to cut out a door on a train in service.

That said, I've had four brake pipe ruptures, but have never had to cut out a door on a train in service.

Wow, I thought door problems were a common problem? What is the worst failure that you have seen out on the road?

Worst failures?

The R110A going up in smoke.

A Redbird receiving indication with the doors still open.

My all-time fav - that 20 car train I pushed from Bowling Green to Unionport Yard. 5 cars no power, 5 cars no air and 10 good cars pushing.

First off, please throw away the Passbook. If it still mentions yanking fuses, it is horribly out of date.

Since none of the current fleet has a fuse that can be yanked out, that procedure is never performed. Only once have I seen a road train slippered due to a runaway motor; however, I've done it any number of times while teaching.

Minor things happen all the time; bigger problems not so much. That said, I've had four brake pipe ruptures, but have never had to cut out a door on a train in service.

"Runaway" meaning that the motor continues to take power when the master controller is in the OFF position?

Worst failures?

My all-time fav - that 20 car train I pushed from Bowling Green to Unionport Yard. 5 cars no power, 5 cars no air and 10 good cars pushing.

Wow, you got to operate the R110A? If you did do you remeber what the motors sound like?

Worst failures?

Wow, R110A on fire. I heard the fire damaged the suspension and that is why it was taken out of service kind of early, is this true? Also, in the late 80's and early 90's didn't the redbirds have alot of problems with indication? And that last one, the 20 car train, that must have been a fun one.

Wow, you got to operate the R110A? If you did do you remeber what the motors sound like?

Really? With all the things Alex L knows, thats what you want to ask him? Why don't you ask him how they were compared to the R110As form an operators perspective.

"Runaway" meaning that the motor continues to take power when the master controller is in the OFF position?

Correct.

Never operated them -they came and went before I was a T/O. I was stuck behind for a looong time as a C/R.

in the late 80's and early 90's didn't the redbirds have alot of problems with indication? And that last one, the 20 car train, that must have been a fun one.

Late '80 and early '90s were before my time with Transit. Don't know/care about the problems from then.

As for 20 cars being fun, I guess in some warped way it was fun. Of course, it took forever and pissed off a whole lot of people.

Really? With all the things Alex L knows, thats what you want to ask him?

No biggie. I get asked lots of sillier questions at work, both by new students and seasoned professionals.

Worst failures?

Ever had a straight air pipe rupture? I understand it can happen, but it's less common than a brake pipe rupture...but it seems like it would be a real doozy...

Worst failures?

Ah brings back memoires when i was still a probie on the (7) line at Hunterspoint when the group box went up in smoke under car 9303...

Me the TSS and took turns pushing while my C/R was up front on the radio talking to us(we was other than head end) 11 cars all the way from Hunterspoint to Corona Yard jacked up the 7 line for hrs...

The Supt and two RCI's also joined the party...

Then when i came to the B Div on the (B)ravo train didnt take power in head out car(R40 Slant) at Kingsbridge.Had to change ends wrong rail to Fordham Rd,discharge,Pull angles and isolate the first married pair, then go other than head end all the way to Bed Park.

With my C/R flagging me on the Radio, lots of fun...

Oh yeah had to cut out a few doors as well with these R42's on the (J) Line...

Yeah I remember redbirds used to have indication circuit problems all the time in the early to mid 90s...there were also a lot more subway draggings back then, now you almost never hear about them

the doors on the redbirds were able to be open over three inches and the c/r would still receive indication. :confused:

Archived