NYC murder suspect kills self in W. Phila.

metsfan

By Sam Wood

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

An Army reservist wanted for murder in the stabbing death of a man outside Manhattan's main post office was found dead last night, an apparent suicide, in West Philadelphia, police said.

Sirmone McCaulla, 28, was discovered by his ex-girlfriend in the bathtub of her apartment on the 4900 block of Pine Street. The woman called police about 5:45 p.m.

When police arrived they found McCaulla slumped in the partially-filled tub with a plastic garbage bag over his head and a television cable box on his chest, police said.

McCaulla, a veteran who had served in Kuwait, had been wanted following a fatal altercation Sunday in Midtown Manhattan across from Madison Square Garden.

Surveillance cameras captured video of McCaulla as he bumped into Christopher Gutierrez, 20, about 6 p.m. at 8th Avenue and 33rd Streets.

The two men continued past each other for a short distance then turned to face each other.

Gutierrez, the father of a one-year-old, took off his coat and assumed a "fight stance," New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. McCaulla responded similarly and the two men approached each other.

Drawing a knife, McCaulla lunged several times at Gutierrez, stabbing him twice in the upper torso. McCaulla walked away calmly as Gutierrez lay mortally wounded on the post office steps.

It was unclear when McCaulla fled to Philadelphia, police said.

The New York Post today published a suicide note McCaulla apparently posted on his MySpace page shortly before he took his own life.

In the note, McCaulla said he was on his way to see his daughter when the fatal encounter occurred. He claimed he was provoked and implies he was only protecting himself when he drew his blade.

"Didn't mean to kill him just wanted to stop the threat," McCaulla wrote, adding he hoped the surveillance tapes would be made public so "people can see what really happen."

McCaulla writes about how hard it was to find work after his stint in the Army. "Its gonna be 10 time harder if I come out as a felon," he said.

Contact staff writer Sam Wood at 215-854-2796 or at samwood@phillynews.com.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20090930_NYC_murder_suspect_kills_self_in_W__Phila_.html

-----------------------------------------------------

- A

This goes to show you that you don't know who your dealing with out there. These guys had too much pride and ego. You have say sorry and walk away. Even if you look like a p*ss*.

TRUTH.

All these people out there trying to prove their dick is bigger than the next guys...

This goes to show you that you don't know who your dealing with out there. These guys had too much pride and ego. You have say sorry and walk away. Even if you look like a p*ss*.

TRUTH.

All these people out there trying to prove their dick is bigger than the next guys...

AMEN. However, to avoid the situation always be aware of your surroundings at ALL times.

From all the accounts I have heard and read the guy that got killed was the aggressor.

Good point. Some here are quick to call this guy the bad guy. I'm not so sure. Everything in life is shades of grey. If you're carrying a knife on you for whatever reason and someone threatens to fight you and you are scared for your life you are going to use that knife, whether you know it now or not.

The area I went to school in Providence was not very good and drunk kids would often get beat up/mugged because they acted like rich spoiled kids in a more "street" neighborhood in the city. I never acted like that, and nothing ever happened to me but if I went out by myself a night I knew the rowdies would be out calling attention to themselves I carried a screwdriver...

self defense and the will to protect your life will make you do some crazy things...this is a stupid death and a dumb situation, but that doesn't mean one person or the other was wrong to try and protect their life

Archived