Need help about Fares and taking NJ Transit

TransitGuy

Hey guys, to many this might be odd but I honestly haven't ventured to NJ by bus. I have always driven. Basically I'm trying to get to West NY specifically 56th and Jefferson from the port authority terminal (and vice versa). What is the best route to go by, I checked out google and I was suggested the 154, is that a good bus to take? Also, in regards to fares how much is it? And is it like NY bus where its exact change only? Do I just dump the money there or is it something where I have to buy a ticket beforehand? Thank you guys for all the help and yes I feel dumb asking this haha. Its been so long.

PABT (NJT) TVM on the south wing just inside the door.

(NJT) site suggests the 159. Should be like $2.55.

Depart : PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERM [41ST & 8TH ENT](On 159 Fort Lee) 2:30 P.M

Arrive : BERGENLINE AVE. & 60TH ST. 2:57 P.M

REGULAR FARE

Bus Fare $2.55 Bus Fare

Transfer Fee $0.00

Total $2.55 Total $1.15

Hope that helps! If not contact NJ transit at 1-973-275-5555 & they can answer all your questions! :)

- A

To add on to what MetsFan and Ken have already said, best buses to take are the 156 and 159 (which operate locally on Bergenline Avenue), and operate combined every 12-15 minutes from Platform 200, Door 1/2 - basically jump on any 156 bus signed for Englewood Cliffs or 159 bus signed for Fairview or Fort Lee - they all stop on 58th and 60th and Bergenline for you. The ride is a bit slow on New York Avenue (159) on its way up to Bergenline, so my suggestion is if you are able to take a 156, it's a better ride up.

From Bergenline it's less than a 5 minute walk to Jefferson - the issue with the 154 is that it runs only once or twice an hour on Kennedy, with the 156/159 on Bergenline run 4-6 buses an hour combined.

Hope this helps.

Plus if you board in New Jersey, you hand the money to the driver who can make change for you. Try not to give anything larger than a $10 for a $2.55 fare.

If you board at the PABT, you need to have a ticket. The driver is not required to accept a cash fare at the terminal, but sometimes will if you're boarding at the very last minute and didn't have time to buy a ticket.

But honestly speaking, stick with your car unless you're trying to save toll money. You can't beat a car when it comes to convenience.

Plus if you board in New Jersey, you hand the money to the driver who can make change for you. Try not to give anything larger than a $10 for a $2.55 fare.

If you board at the PABT, you need to have a ticket. The driver is not required to accept a cash fare at the terminal, but sometimes will if you're boarding at the very last minute and didn't have time to buy a ticket.

But honestly speaking, stick with your car unless you're trying to save toll money. You can't beat a car when it comes to convenience.

Well I took the bus back to the PABT and was definitely interesting. It helps to sit down. The only reason I'm not taking my truck is because I dropped it off to a friend to get fully detailed and a couple visual things fixed. I still have to go back so basically I need to obtain a ticket to take the bus leaving the PABT? Where do I get that?

Anyway its funny that I have a better appreciation for NY buses because I was in an MCI coach going to the PABT and man the driver didn't hold back on the turns or stopping hard. I really appreciate the Metrocard even more now. :)

Well I took the bus back to the PABT and was definitely interesting. It helps to sit down. The only reason I'm not taking my truck is because I dropped it off to a friend to get fully detailed and a couple visual things fixed. I still have to go back so basically I need to obtain a ticket to take the bus leaving the PABT? Where do I get that?

Anyway its funny that I have a better appreciation for NY buses because I was in an MCI coach going to the PABT and man the driver didn't hold back on the turns or stopping hard. I really appreciate the Metrocard even more now. :)

From windows 1-10 or the TVMs. Get a round-trip at the PABT and save yourself some time at the bus stop in NJ.

My final 2¢... I am 29 and i've never really had a strong desire to own or drive a car for general transportation, i find that with proper planning, and with the admission that walking won't kill you, i can get from my town to all most anywhere in the world, no car. I think people take cars 1786547% for granted, and don't realize what a burden they are on our society.

As far as convenience, nothing about moving anyplace with any mode is convenient in the NY-NJ-CT metro area. :cool: ;)

Tickets are best, because you don't have to count them like money, and they can be cross honored in the event of an incident. I often stand in line behind people who hand the driver quarters or dimes to pay the fare, then my turn hand ticket grab a seat, it's more courteous to save the person(s) in back of you & the people all ready on the bus time by having a ticket. :tup:

- A

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway its funny that I have a better appreciation for NY buses because I was in an MCI coach going to the PABT and man the driver didn't hold back on the turns or stopping hard. I really appreciate the Metrocard even more now. :P

I actually like the way NJT ops drive. Much more agressive and faster than MTA which I prefer, since I generally like to get places on time. Reminds me Suffolk Transit more, I like to go as fast as possible. And be glad I dont drive I guess! :confused:

I actually like the way NJT ops drive. Much more agressive and faster than MTA which I prefer, since I generally like to get places on time. Reminds me Suffolk Transit more, I like to go as fast as possible. And be glad I dont drive I guess! :confused:

Yea, (NJT) drivers are like surgeons, if they are behind a blockage, they go around quick fast & in a hurry but carefully and safely. You should ride the 62 between the airport and newark penn some time. If only (MTA) handled their routes like that...

- A

Archived