Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
MattTrain

Coach buses not used on local routes

I'm just wondering, and forgive me if this sounds strange: Why are big tall buses not used for local routes and not just express routes? I did see taller buses used in Manhattan such as the M101 for example. What's the idea?

Do you mean using MCI D4500x on Local Buses? I dont think it would be used on Local bus since its for longer commute and its for express use similar to using buses going out of state. Other buses are for regular public use. Local

It would be cool tho! I remember in 2000 and around the M98 ran coach still RTS. Inside all coach and that was fun. Road from E125th/3rd ave to 179th St and Broadway..

As for the M101 maybe it was pushed incorrectly.

I believe the following would be some valid reasons why they are not used on local routes(correct me if I'm wrong on any of the reasons):

1) Like already mentioned, transit coach buses are not marketed towards stop and go local routes. They are geared towards long distance commuting.

2) 1 door + 2x2 seating= disaster for your average congested local route.

3) Holds less people?

4) More expensive to buy and to own/operate?

Doesn't the QBx1 operate the coach buses on occasion? I've seen some Queens Local routes using the MCIs?

I believe the following would be some valid reasons why they are not used on local routes(correct me if I'm wrong on any of the reasons):

1) Like already mentioned, transit coach buses are not marketed towards stop and go local routes. They are geared towards long distance commuting.

2) 1 door + 2x2 seating= disaster for your average congested local route.

Yes.

What I always imagined that would make it possible is if you had a situation with a lot of people getting on and off at the same stops, like the first stop and the last stop, and using the coach for a special nonstop run to ease the crowd. Like lets say some huge shopping spree with a lot of people going from downtown Brooklyn to Kings Plaza, and they borrowed one for the B41, and it just went straight from one place to the other. PErhaps a dropoff or two at really busy points along the way. This is unlikely, as FLA has no express buses, and there would be none on either end to borrow from, but it is just a fanciful idea for what would ever justify having an express bus on the route.

One point is the fact that the signs have all the routes programmed on them indicates that they have made a possible allowance for such a situation.

Doesn't the QBx1 operate the coach buses on occasion? I've seen some Queens Local routes using the MCIs?

Not coaches per se, but suburbans, meaning that they are designed with softer seats for a longer express run.

And...

5) Express buses often get vandalized on local routes.

What do you mean?

I'm just wondering, and forgive me if this sounds strange: Why are big tall buses not used for local routes and not just express routes? I did see taller buses used in Manhattan such as the M101 for example. What's the idea?

I'm not sure you would have ever seen a tall bus on the M101---by that, an MCI D series coach or a New Flyer Viking. Those are designated express buses only.

These buses are 996-998, 1860-2250, 2705-2924, 3000-3474, and 4300-4329.

There are likely bulletins that state that they cannot go on express routes (although a local bus can go on an express route in an emergency; 6905 has worked the X51, and 9766 has worked the QM18 when JFK had it).

There are a handful of local buses with soft seats (all in Queens Division), but except for those at Stengel, all are being reseated for local service. The reason why is the aisles would become too narrow.

Not coaches per se, but suburbans, meaning that they are designed with softer seats for a longer express run.

I like the coach/suburban RTSs (when they're not packed), I rode one yesterday morning on the Q85, they're more comfortable than the plastic seats (when they aren't ripped up).

When they're packed its almost impossible to get off when you're sitting or standing in the middle of the bus.

...There are a handful of local buses with soft seats (all in Queens Division), but except for those at Stengel, all are being reseated for local service. The reason why is the aisles would become too narrow.

There are also some at Ulmer Park (Brooklyn Division) that has them. Remember, the depots with surburban seating local buses most likely had some express buses out of them

Stengel: X32 & X51

Jamaica: who knows what they had

Queens Village: X63, X64, & X68

Ulmer Park: : X27, X28, X29, X37 & X38

The only thing about the last 2 is that they now use MCI's for express runs. The X32 still uses an Orion V form time to time and the X51 uses the Vikings & MCI's. Who knows why Jamaica has them if they didn't have express runs.

There are also some at Ulmer Park (Brooklyn Division) that has them. Remember, the depots with surburban seating local buses most likely had some express buses out of them

Stengel: X32 & X51

Jamaica: who knows what they had

Queens Village: X63, X64, & X68

Ulmer Park: : X27, X28, X29, X37 & X38

The only thing about the last 2 is that they now use MCI's for express runs. The X32 still uses an Orion V form time to time and the X51 uses the Vikings & MCI's. Who knows why Jamaica has them if they didn't have express runs.

Jamaica had the X63 (and I think the X64 too), but they had MCIs.

I don't know why Queens Village ended up with the X63 & X64.

It would be cool tho! I remember in 2000 and around the M98 ran coach still RTS. Inside all coach and that was fun. Road from E125th/3rd ave to 179th St and Broadway..

They also ran Orion v Suburbans on that route to :P same goes for the Q44 as well.

I remember seeing a QBx1 running an MCI bus, like how the express buses operate. There are some RTSs that have the "coach" seats as well.

What do you mean?

he means that if an MCI was on a local route, the seats would be torn up, graffiti, scratchiti, etc.