A bit of a problem; how would you react?

LRG

I don't know what you guys do that you always bring attention. Me and Joe have rail fanned several times with our DSLRs, we pass by cops, MTA employees and no one says anything. One time a C/R even started talking to me about DSLRs and how he loves them. It's all how you compose yourself, if you're quick and defensive they'll think something is not right and continue to press you on.

You should BE so lucky then! :P

Really though, it's kinda weird. Cops then are looking down on the next generation of railfans like they're a bunch of badasses. I was with two railfans the other day and we all watched a group of boys fighting with one another, and it was just sickening. Then we all said to each other that people like them is why kids go to jail or end up in trouble with the law at a young age. We don't act like thugs at all, we just keep to our own business and stare out the front of the window. If little kids want to look out the front, we let them so they can enjoy the experience before the window disappears for good. We were even talking to a TSS. There are some TA employees that admire us for the simple fact that we are subway enthusiasts who can learn something new every day and retain our knowledge, and we keep out of trouble by finding a hobby that kills good time, and at the end of the day, it means something, and we learn something. Then there are kids that act like trolls, and you know the deal with them. So blame the bad half of the kids that act like morons that make the good half look bad as well. It lays out the reason why I barely even like to go outside except to handle business e.g. school, and go to the store.

I don't get it, so you can't bring a tripod in the system even when its not being used? Of course I know Tripods and flash is illegal. But photography solo is purely legal, depending on where your taking pics and what ever you are using.

Is it legal to use tripods for taking a pics of a bus? [Example nighttime]

It's OK to carry tripod, but not allowed to use.

Same goes for museum.

For example, if you need to use tripod at Metropolitan Museum of Art, you need to get permission pass.

Permission is require for using tripod in (MTA) subway/train stations.

I don't know what you guys do that you always bring attention. Me and Joe have rail fanned several times with our DSLRs, we pass by cops, MTA employees and no one says anything. One time a C/R even started talking to me about DSLRs and how he loves them. It's all how you compose yourself, if you're quick and defensive they'll think something is not right and continue to press you on.

I remember making this point on a thread a long time ago and getting bashed for it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way. :P

It's called a press pass. Good luck getting one if you don't work for a news paper or a TV station.

Thank you for correcting me.

Just little off-topic but relative,

Some professional photographer comes to MET Museum with tripod, and they need to obtain permission pass to be able to use in galleries, but no flash.

Stuff like this has happened to me over here in Australia. The best thing to do is just be polite and tell them that you are perfectly within your right to do rail photography.

You could print this out: "Photography, filming, or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors, or tripods may not be used." and show it to any staff member giving you a hard time.

Yep. Standing there shouting "we have rights!" at an officer hasn't gotten anyone here too far. Those guys have spend more time fighting summonses, arguing with cops and employees, and filing suites than they have enjoying the ride. And the sad part is, they act like they're living in a fascist state and standing up against it, when in reality most everyone else is railfanning and taking photos without any problems. Can't help but wonder why it's the same individuals which only tell us THEIR side of these encounters.

This is just sad. I have never done any photography on the subway but was considering starting doing so as a hobby. It appears there will be significant hurdles for me to get started.

I agree though that in order to avoid suspicion you should stick to the rules and put away tripods and flash equipment if they are not allowed.

I wish someone (or a group of railfans) sent some sort of petition to elected officials requesting them to pass legislation that guarantees the rights of citizens to photograph or video public places (as long as they are not trespassing over restricted areas), and requiring police and transit workers to have an uniform knowledge of what is permissible and what isn't. Citizens should have the right to sue agencies if their right to information is obstructed. I know it all sounds idealistic but with sufficient numbers of people behind it we ought to have the critical mass necessary.

Archived