Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NJTransitFan

What is it about the slants?

It might just be the slant. But the cars are fast and also a railfan favorite, the RFW.

Aren't all subway cars fast. I'm sure the slant is not the fastest of them all. But I see what you guys like, the slant. I won't be hard headed about the subject it is a unique looking car. I was hoping we could get into more details about them.

I like the slants and what they represent in the subways. The slants were the odd balls of the fleet when they were released. We can thank former New York City Mayor John V. Lindsay for that one who wanted a change from the boxy look that all the other cars of the subways had. He envisioned a futuristic looking subway car and he got it.

They will always be special in the hearts of many railfanners young and old. They will be fan trips featuring them in the future that's for sure and people will pay $30 or so to ride them again.

I like the slant because it is very unique in design and it is just a great car. It is the only other car other than the R46 with GE propulsion too.

Even though the suspension sucks, it is not horrible (better than other cars) and gives the illusion of it being faster of other cars.

Aren't all subway cars fast. I'm sure the slant is not the fastest of them all. But I see what you guys like, the slant. I won't be hard headed about the subject it is a unique looking car. I was hoping we could get into more details about them.
No. The R68As have the worst speed and braking in the fleet.

What is it about the Slants?

Slant404246.jpg

This photo right here is classic. That's all I can say.

No. The R68As have the worst speed and braking in the fleet.

LOL! I'm sorry, it's almost like you have no idea what an R32 is...

The cars have a unique design,they're fast(ride them on the Brighton)and they have one of the best RFW in the system.

The cars have a unique design,they're fast(ride them on the Brighton)and they have one of the best RFW in the system.

Yes the long narrow windows were great to look out of especially if you're a little person. Kids were able to see out the windows pretty well also.

The cars have personality. Something that is sorely lacking in the new generation of cars. I know it's a little thing, but I like the color coded signage.

With the new generation of cars, they're all red, and aren't always properly lit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.