In 1969 the GG terminated at church avenue

Eastman346

I think the MTA isn't using the express tracks because of Bergen Street. The lower level isn't rebuilt and there's no crossunders. I think MTA should rebuilt the Bergen Street LL need to get rebuilt so the V-Train can start running through and the G will run Express after Smith-9th. Seriously, those express tracks need to get back running so I wouldn't have be stuck on that ramp for 10 Minutes waiting for the G-Train to get rid of their load.

(10 minutes can make a big difference.)

The express tracks are in working condition.....

To me I think they have to be replaced with newer rails. I wouldn't trust them. Maybe for switching the (G) around between Smith-9th and 4th Av they work fine. They just don't look like the newer local tracks that the (F) runs on. It could just be me.

Maybe that's what Eastman meant.

• 2 weeks later...
To me I think they have to be replaced with newer rails. I wouldn't trust them. Maybe for switching the (G) around between Smith-9th and 4th Av they work fine. They just don't look like the newer local tracks that the (F) runs on. It could just be me.

Maybe that's what Eastman meant.

The express tracks work fine southeast between fourth Ave and Church Ave( there are G.O.'s all the time that require north or south bound (F) trains to run express),the reason why there is no express service is because

1) there was a point in time where people where complaining about the walking up the stairs at Bergen St(this led to closing the lower level station) and making everything local

2)the fire at Bergen St interlocking clamped routes into certain positions making the express tracks between bergen st and 4th ave unavailable ever since(IIRC work has been done or is being done to fix this problem, I'm not sure though)

But if express service would ever return to the line it would probably be(

(F)(G) local with the (G) terminating at Church Ave

(V) express from Bergen to Church Ave Weekdays and maybe...MAYBE...extended Peak Direction Exp service to Kings Hwy

On weekends all service would be local because

- the (V) doesn't and probably never will run on weekends

- the (G) would be virtually empty if it operated express

- the (F) can't run express because the stations it would skip mainly serve mhtn bound riders

I've been informed that on February 4th at 12:01AM all (G) trains will be reasingned from Smith-9 Streets to Church Avenue and will remain permenatly at Church Avenue as the Culver Viaduct will recive it's full rehab.

Mark your calenders then! Too bad thats a monday. I'll probably check it out after classes that day or just wait til the weekend.

I've been informed that on February 4th at 12:01AM all (G) trains will be reasingned from Smith-9 Streets to Church Avenue and will remain permenatly at Church Avenue as the Culver Viaduct will recive it's full rehab.

I already know someone who's going to love the sound of that.

I've been informed that in the near future, the G train will be permanently cut from 71st Continental Avenue and will never ever come back.

I've been informed that in the near future, the G train will be permanently cut from 71st Continental Avenue and will never ever come back.

Well who didn't see that comming??

The MTA Claims it will make service better along the rest of the (G) route....which it probably will....its good to see that service will return to Church Ave though

The planned extension of the (G) to Church Ave is really interesting.

But is the extension really necessary in terms of ridership at the stations between Smith/9th Sts and Church Ave? It was written here that these stations mainly serve Manhattan-bound riders, so will the extended (G) service be a relief to the (F) at all?

After all, MTA will surely need 1 or 2 extra trains for this extended service.

The planned extension of the (G) to Church Ave is really interesting.

But is the extension really necessary in terms of ridership at the stations between Smith/9th Sts and Church Ave? It was written here that these stations mainly serve Manhattan-bound riders, so will the extended (G) service be a relief to the (F) at all?

After all, MTA will surely need 1 or 2 extra trains for this extended service.

For the riders transfering at 4th Avenue it'll surely be good for them not having to wait for an (F) for one stop. Which to some of us really doesn't mean much but to riders it will.

For the riders transfering at 4th Avenue it'll surely be good for them not having to wait for an (F) for one stop. Which to some of us really doesn't mean much but to riders it will.

I definitely agree with you on that. At least the Transfer between the (M)(R) <(D)(N) Late Nights>, and the (G) will help riders on the 4th Av and Crosstown Corriders seeking stops on those respective lines..

Wouldn't doing that add congestion to the line?

Sometimes I dont see how extensions create better service.

not really, right now the current local tracks are operating at about half the capacity they where designed to operate at...and being that Church Ave has its own set of tracks for the (G) to terminate and relay on, delays and congestion shouldn't be a problem

as far as ridership goes,it is a good question as to weather ridership will sustain decent numbers or not,being that most people are headed to/from mhtn,but like harry said people who are transferring at 4th Ave will probably welcome the benefit of having another train

If there was a x-over at Hoyt-Schmerhorn the (G) would probably terminate there, with the current track configuration there is nowhere for trains to relay or for trains to be stored during off-hours, which is why the mta felt extending service to Church Ave is the most feasible thing to do for the duration of this project

Archived