Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trainspotter

Stuck bridge snarls morning commute for rail riders

Stuck bridge snarls morning commute for rail riders

KEARNY, N.J. (AP) — Thousands of rail commuters faced delays on a frigid morning after a stuck bridge stopped trains in and out of New York City Friday.

The portal bridge over the Hackensack River got stuck in the open position around 5:09 a.m., Amtrak spokeswoman Karina Romero said.

The national passenger railroad was forced to stop two trains at New York's Penn Station.

However, NJ Transit rail commuters faced major service disruptions at the start of the morning run, spokesman Dan Stessel said.

All Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line began and ended in Newark. Midtown Direct trains were rerouted to Hoboken.

PATH and buses honored NJ Transit rail passes.

Amtrak repaired the bridge around 6:09 a.m., but NJ Transit rail riders faced residual delays of at least 30 minutes, Stessel said.

It was not known what caused the bridge to get stuck, Romero said.

From: The Associated Press icon_offsite.png - December 7, 2007

Hello Everyone,

I heard about this on the news this morning myself. Thank god I was not on one of the trains. I feel sorry for all the stranded riders.

Eric

I heard it on the NY news we have here in CT and they had a helicopter chasing a NJT consist pulled by an alp 46 that was cool:D But do feel sorry for the people that had to sit there ont he train:o

I heard it on the NY news we have here in CT and they had a helicopter chasing a NJT consist pulled by an alp 46 that was cool:D But do feel sorry for the people that had to sit there ont he train:o

I saw that one too. That was probably the first train out after the problem was resolved.

I saw that one too. That was probably the first train out after the problem was resolved.

Ya, supposedly that was a Midtown Direct train.

As for the bridge, I guess both railroads fell asleep on that one and forgot to keep the eyes closely on that bridge so that it wouldn't get stuck. Luckily they realized quick enough though obvious.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.