Break up the Mets...PLEASE!

Harry

The 2009 New York Mets broke in a new stadium, broke down physically, and, once again, broke your heart.

This time, it wasn't another late-season collapse that has you, the Flushing faithful, eager to forget but not forgive. The team never even managed to get off the ground - ultimately seeing seven Opening Day starters land on the disabled list, and many others join them.

As more and more Mets fell - or remained in limbo with mysterious ailments - so did the team's winning percentage. When scandal hit the front office in the form of abusive behavior by Tony Bernazard, the club's vice president for player development, general manager Omar Minaya tried to turn the story into a personal attack on Daily News Mets beat writer Adam Rubin. Even while the Mets' biggest star, David Wright, managed to stay healthy, his power numbers dropped dramatically at spacious Citi Field - before he too joined the walking wounded with a brutal beaning in August that left him with a concussion. Wright would return to the field wearing a comically oversized protective helmet, which might have been too big for his head - but it certainly fit the Mets' season.

Now, with the regular season mercifully at an end, we've got your chance to help turn the team around. Let us know which Mets you'd keep for 2010 - and which ones you'd dump - in the polls and comments section below.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/10/06/2009-10-06_mets_keep_em_or_dump_em.html#ixzz0TACqZYK0

post-1-133288581061_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581061_thumb.jpg

Delgado needs to go-he's too old and overpaid. Reyes needs to take a hike as well. Reyes is more overrated than Jeter. Beltran could stay, but he needs to stay healthy and play at least 140 games. Wright needs to see a sports psychologist. I've never seen a player fall of like Wright. The Mets need a legit #2 starter. Daniel Murphy is not an adequate 1st baseman.

To me, they need to focus on fundamentals, become a single unit, a team, too many times this season i saw the "team" simply fall apart and disaster.

Be careful but not too careful out there, if you get hurt the team gets hurt.

Citi is no bigger than shea, but i think having H1N1 deaths less than a mile from where you play with thousands of people in attendance has to have some affect as well.

I have faith they will pull it out of the bag next year and get it done.

- A

Citi is no bigger than shea, but i think having H1N1 deaths less than a mile from where you play with thousands of people in attendance has to have some affect as well.

What? That makes no sense at all. Has nothing to do with why the Mets suck.

I don't care much about the salaries, but I think the Mets have a pretty good team minus the injuries. If anything, here's the defensive line-up that I think they should have.

C - Santos has proven to be a better hitter than Shneider or whatever his name is. Santos should be the everyday catcher versus him.

1 B - Daniel Murphy is a pretty good first baseman. He's certainly no Tex, but he's doing the standard.

2 B - Luis Castillo is a great player. He already shows us that he's a great hitter.

3 B - Wright is doing good. For some reason, his records dipped when the power hitters of the Mets organization were all injured. When Beltran came back, he raised up.

RF - Jeff Francouer. Enough said.

CF - Carlos Beltran hands down.

LF - They really need to do something about Corey Sullivan. He's a bad hitter. The Mets should buy someone else in that spot.

Their pitching rotation needs some desperate work. They have young talent right now, but they need to replace Tim Redding which just plain sucks, and a whole bunch of guys.

They have a great team, but they need to do some changes.

As a die hard (M)(E)(T)(S)..fan I can't blame jerry but I can play the players....

Santana ....(K)(E)(E)p

Maine...he has the stuff its there....but I think he still looking for it...lol

Perz.....I like him..but one game he can go 7in 2 runs 6 hit and 7k....and the next start 4in 5run 1k 11walks

Redding...ballpen

Parrnel...this guys good just work on that fastball

Beltran ..keep

Reyes.....give him a break he hurt....(right)

Murphy ...I like him...just need more power...

Luis....I like him he can hit....and plus he goes shopping at my job since it right next to citi field (toys r us) for the kid and his new baby.....

Santos...I like the guy...

Jeff fancour...the dude great....

Wright...he will hit better now that he knows citi field...

John niese...I like this guy...

Delgado....as much as I hate him...he still have power...and the mets need that....

Sheffield....I hope the mets sign again...he had his moments...and I feel he have stuff left....

What the mets need is a 5 th starter...and some one who can play left field...sure we got murphy or a 1st basemen....

(J)(F)(K).....(JFK)

Since you mentioned the bullpen, I can give my point of view on that too.

Santana - Sure he's getting old, but he has a good amount of life still in him. He started with a 2.10 or so ERA and that's only matched with Lincecum and that other guy from the Giants.

Dessens - He's a great pitcher. He's reliable, but like Joba, he always has that crappy inning where he gives up 4 runs.

Nelson Figuora - He's a great pitcher too. But he also has a Joba effect.

Tim Redding - What the hell is this guy doing in MLB? They should kick him down to the farms for him to work on speed and K rates.

John Maine - He's a great pitcher. If it weren't for his injury, I'm sure he would be the second spot in the rotation.

Pedro Feliciano - I think this is the young talent that I've been talking about. I always get mixed up with names, but he is one of the best pitchers on the Mets organization.

Mike Pelfrey and Bobby Parnell - also have the Joba effect.

The relievers that I haven't mentioned all need help.

K-Rod - He's a great closer. I think he would have gotten a lot more saves if the Mets were in more win situations. However, he's blown quite a lot of saves this year...too many to be considered a closer. However, I wouldn't blame him being put under that stress.

The bullpen needs a lot of work. It's not their starting pitcher that needs work, but it's the relievers. Some days, the starting pitchers give 1 or 2 runs which is good, but the relievers blow the game with 6 runs batted in. This is why the Mets need better pitching.

Guest Charles

I'm a Mets fan and I don't think it's Jerry's fault. I don't get why Minaya is staying...

Anyways I'm surprised Alicea got fired...so it's his fault?

about people calling Citi Field "shitty" field...don't blame the park, it's the players. And I admit the Mets were power-starved this year, but i look forward to next year. Besides, personally I like pitcher friendly parks, utilizing speed, defense, and "small ball" to win games, not like Yankee Stadium where steroid taking players hit ball after ball out of the park...sure it may be cool but is that what baseball was meant to be?

The Mets have pretty good catchers, but Brian Schneider needs to hit...

I'd say keep Daniel Murphy @ first base. He's going to play winter ball so hopefully that'll improve him. He is learning at major league level so give him a break...Delgado I don't know whether it'd be better to let him go or not, he might still have pop in his bat.

Luis Castillo on paper had a great year, but too bad it will be remembered as the year he dropped that Yankees fly ball...

Jose Reyes got hurt this year, what'd you expect from him? he's the spark of the Mets offense

Something was wrong with David Wright all year, not just after the concussion...there was always something quirky with his swing....

Beltran + Francoeur will make a great CF/RF combo, but LF is iffy...Angel Pagan makes mistakes Little Leaguers don't even make, Cory Sullivan can be good, Tatis struggles with RISP

When healthy, Santana, Pelfrey, Maine are dominating they could be the best 1-2-3...the biggest mistake was resigning Oliver Perez

K-Rod has extreme talent, but the 8th inning guy has always been troublesome...Sean Green struggled this year, Parnell might be a 5th starter...and the Mets desperately need another decent lefty. Pedro Feliciano working 80+ games for 3 years, how much $$ is he making?

if the Mets steal a couple of free agents, they'll be a good team next year.

Just my 2 cents.

Delgado needs to go-he's too old and overpaid. Reyes needs to take a hike as well. Reyes is more overrated than Jeter. Beltran could stay, but he needs to stay healthy and play at least 140 games. Wright needs to see a sports psychologist. I've never seen a player fall of like Wright. The Mets need a legit #2 starter. Daniel Murphy is not an adequate 1st baseman.

Delgado is done, no question and the Mets should've gone after Adam Dunn. Murphy should not have been in the outfield as he's never played that position before and was a defensive upgrade over Delgado.

Who's comparing Reyes to Jeter? That's like trying to compare ARod to Wright. Besides playing the same postions, that's where the comparisons ends.

Why does Wright need to "see a sports psychologist"? The ballpark dimensions are much deeper than that of Shea, of course his numbers are going to drop off significantly. Yankees Stadium the fence is all even rather than one side being taller than the other and a big help for all the additional homers hit there this year. If the Mets had the same dimensions as Shea, I'm sure the homer totals would be about the same give or take.

I get it you hate the Mets for no reason, but at least back up the reasons for your opinions other than 'blind rage'.

Archived