Does anybody think Hollis Station needs a updated makeover?

Pu3rToRoCk8947

Has anyone rode the LIRR Hempstead Branch and used the Hollis Station?

I have a few times and the way the station looks now is not like the other stations on the Hempstead Branch,it looks decent but yet neglectful in a sense.I don't know why this station still has wooden platforming and the station has not recieved a true station house since the earlier one was destroyed by arson decades ago.I don't know how many people use it and when i do use it i rarely see people waiting for the train as well.Does anybody think the station needs updating and is it deemed worthy to keep open,meaning does it have high ridership numbers?

I agree,it doesn't look that bad but come on wooden platforms,crumbling steps on the underpass,the smell of urine all the time,loose wooden boards as well,i think these minor problems can be fixed,don't you?

I also have this funny feeling that the LIRR wouldn't want to extend the 4 car wooden platform and do the minor cosmetic makeover because they could have a reason to close it.I don't know how many trains bypass it or stop there or the ridership numbers but it looks desolate at times when i go there,and that's Off Peak hours.

It's not horribly bad,what i mean to say is that doesn't it make sense to update with cement platforms?

I mean what is the real reason for continuing to have wooden platforms at Hollis?

Is the LIRR keeping it for historical meaning?

$$$. Cement platforms cost money to install; not to mention it's hard to justify removing the existing well-functioning platform. Especially in this economic climate...instead of directing funds to needed projects it's diverted to line the boards' pockets. ;)

Well if the rehab is true then that is good news for the people that actually use the station daily.

I believe the Broadway station on the Port Washington Branch is worse off then Hollis,so i hear.

Broadway was rehabbed a few years ago. Murray Hill always seems to have graffiti on it, that has to be one of the worst stations on that line.

I saw a document a few years ago that had details of dates and what they would do to about 20 different LIRR stations, port washington, oyster bay, rockaway, main line between jamaica and farmingdale etc. Sadly i stopped following the LIRR closely when i moved back to newtown from bethpage in early 2007. If i remember where i found it, or dig it up i'll post it.

It makes me sad that LIRR struggles so much. It could be so much more, better facilities, stations, on time stats etc. If (NJT) ran its rail operations like LIRR i can promise you funding would evaporate overnight.

What we need is no more (MTA), bring back:

PRR-style_LIRR_herald.png

- A

I do like the interoperability of the systems, how everything works seamlessly, but the LIRR needs some major improvements to keep up with a growing Long Island.

The biggest thing it needs to address is intra-island commutes, like if you live in Mineola and work in Farmingdale for example. Its only geared up to serve Commuters to NYC. Also service to the east end is a bad joke, its a classic example of "if you build it, they will come" already theres tons of people out east who drive to Ronkonkoma to take the train in, despite having a station in their town.

I do like the interoperability of the systems, how everything works seamlessly, but the LIRR needs some major improvements to keep up with a growing Long Island.

The biggest thing it needs to address is intra-island commutes, like if you live in Mineola and work in Farmingdale for example. Its only geared up to serve Commuters to NYC. Also service to the east end is a bad joke, its a classic example of "if you build it, they will come" already theres tons of people out east who drive to Ronkonkoma to take the train in, despite having a station in their town.

Bingo.gif

Get some more service, more parking capacity (an adjacent purpose built parking garage has never hurt a train station as far as i know), better operating hours. How about give LIRR crews that work odd and late hours a bonus, and give small bonuses for each train crew that brings a train in on or ahead of schedule! Motivation to do well inspires improvement and progress.

- A

Bingo.gif

Get some more service, more parking capacity (an adjacent purpose built parking garage has never hurt a train station as far as i know), better operating hours. How about give LIRR crews that work odd and late hours a bonus, and give small bonuses for each train crew that brings a train in on or ahead of schedule! Motivation to do well inspires improvement and progress.

- A

These stations need more parking, and if not that, add more stations to take the heat off busier ones. Where I live (Nassau County) there's a lot of adjacent towns trying to use one very busy station. The LIRR management needs to figure out commuting patterns, study where the traffic goes, and figure out a way to get people there by train. Theres a few corridors on Long Island that have a lot of businesses but no train access, the entire Melville, NY 110 corridor, the Nassau Hub area (has freight tracks that sit and deteriorate), the other business parks out by Vets Highway and stuff. The LIRR hasn't really done much to address the reverse commuting patterns (going east [away from NYC] to work, and west to go home)

(NJT) and :septa: have built huge parking facilities, the pair at trenton alone can hold like 300 cars plus a lock-in lot, and a secondary lot. :septa: has spent more money on expanding parking facilities for several terminals in the last 3 years than in the 10 years prior.

If you wanna get people off the road and into a train, you gotta have parking for them till there's enough public transportation for them to be able to leave car at home (even then people will need parking at stations). And yea, LIRR's attention to trip patterns remind me of the new york central, which had most of their service at the convenience of the railroad vs the riding public. Some days i felt like i was lucky the train arrived at all, let alone *gasp* on time. For mets games though, can't beat a few minute ride in comfort vs (7) on the way home, takes you right to NYP too, only done for time savings as i loves me the (7). :cool:

- A

Archived