Have you seen this locomotive?

metsfan

There were only 70 H models built. (those having the 4-cycle 265 engine)

Union Pacific sent theirs to the scrap yard and or storage.

The 90's without the H designation were offered with the 16-710G engine, the thinking being customers could repower to the 265 engine once EMD worked out all the reliability issues, these were designated as SD90/43MAC's,

300 built, so those might still be seen out and about.

Thanks all for the info.

Any reason the 90's were scrapped, expensive to maintain or impractical or? what was their primary usage?

- A

They spent more time in the shops then on the road also CPR got rid of their 4 (now stored up for sale in the Winnipeg deadline)

(D)o these (L)ocos push snow because it looks like snow plow in front

///just cur

Most leading end equipment have a plow or "pilot". Pushes stuff out of the way. Some pilots are totally flat, some are very short and wide. Some locos have proper snow plows as their pilot, and some snow plows are purpose built, being un-powered, but moved by a set of engines, usually 2 or 3.

Snow plow pilot on steam:

SP2579.JPG

Notice how wide and tall it is, perfect for moving the snow to the side. Some were also fitted with steam jets underneath to clear ice and snow from switches etc.

Purpose built plows:

B_O_snowplow.jpg

LOCO%20SNOW%20plow.BMP

sp04.jpg

24232402.jpg

Rotary plow in action:

3196-rooster-tails-snow-plow.jpg

And with steam:

rotary-tc1.jpg

- A

• 3 weeks later...
That is impossible since all CSX SD80MACS are in storage out in Cumberland and Waycross. You probably saw an SD60I or M.

Yes some of the SD60I's have had be assigned to the hudson line to run down from Selkirk yard into NYC on the hudson line and they had been modified to fit into MNCR 3rd rail

Go to Oak Point yard :P. They are there with 3 gensets. Well that was the power on my last trip over there.

I'm pretty limited in where i can go because i have limited time & resources or i'd probably have 10x the photos i have now. :cool:

- A

Archived