Has anyone ever been on The "Austen Class" Staten Island Ferries?

Takuma Ishizeki

Last Monday, I went on "ferry"-fanning late in the night (from 2:00 AM to 10:00 AM)-_-, eagering to ride on Alice Austen class of the Staten Island Ferry. And I was able to ride on John A. Noble:cool:, the second one of this class (sorry I cannot post photos:tdown:), at 3:30 AM. So I am going to ask a question. Did anyone ever "ferry"-fanning late in the night to catch Alice Austen class ferryboat(s)?

Last Monday, I went on "ferry"-fanning late in the night (from 2:00 AM to 10:00 AM)-_-, eagering to ride on Alice Austen class of the Staten Island Ferry. And I was able to ride on John A. Noble:cool:, the second one of this class (sorry I cannot post photos:tdown:), at 3:30 AM. So I am going to ask a question. Did anyone ever "ferry"-fanning late in the night to catch Alice Austen class ferryboat(s)?

I used to ride them all the time when I lived on Staten Island back in the day. I never liked those overnight boats. There too small, and feel like theyre going to capsize.

I used to ride them all the time when I lived on Staten Island back in the day. I never liked those overnight boats. There too small, and feel like theyre going to capsize.

I rode one (I think). It was a 6:30 out of Whitehall Terminal. The 7:00 ferry and onwards uses the regular buses.

Is the newest boat in the fleet built to carry cars?

They are pretty much the only ones that can carry cars. The MV John F. Kennedy can do so too, but its really old and used mainly for training, and rush-hour service.

To answer the original poster's question, no, never even seen the Austen class boats. I love riding the SI Ferry and do so at every opportunity (they are free after all), but I am probably not fanatical enough to stay up all night and hunt the small boats.

I have a question of my own: Does anyone know why the ferries are painted orange? Is it just a safety measure (i.e. bright orange is easier to see in fog or snow)? Or does it have anything to do with it previously being owned by the B&O railroad? Any other reasons?

They are pretty much the only ones that can carry cars. The MV John F. Kennedy can do so too, but its really old and used mainly for training, and rush-hour service.

To answer the original poster's question, no, never even seen the Austen class boats. I love riding the SI Ferry and do so at every opportunity (they are free after all), but I am probably not fanatical enough to stay up all night and hunt the small boats.

I have a question of my own: Does anyone know why the ferries are painted orange? Is it just a safety measure (i.e. bright orange is easier to see in fog or snow)? Or does it have anything to do with it previously being owned by the B&O railroad? Any other reasons?

I think the color is partly an homage to the B&O, later Chessie system, however remember NY state colors are blue orange and white. The clouds being white, and the sky and sea being blue, the boats are orange? Visibility plays a factor as well, they do tend to stick out a bit even in the densest harbor fog i've happened to see from NJ.

- A

It is no different from the John Noble. It is a small ferryboat that makes you feel like a commuter boat instead of the "Staten Island Ferry experience."

Yeah, I was on that John Noble boat yesterday. It was awfully small and for a second I thought half the boat was underwater. :confused:

They probably ran out of illustrious politicians to name this boat ;). All the rest are named after local and national statesmen (except American Legion, but that's retired).

I hope they don't name a boat after Mike Bloomberg. I WILL lose it!!! :o:P

Archived