Simmering contract feud with MTA and transit workers could lead to commute slowdown

Harry

Even the MTA hire ups know this. What you said, is what we were told when hired. They said, if firefighters, police officers, sanitation, parks dept, etc, go on strike, most people wouldn't even notice. ......

I wouldn't go that far.

If the firefighters were to strike, that would cause panic in the event of a fire that could engulf an entire block, or could lead to deaths when people get trapped in burning buildings or bad car accidents

If the police were to strike, you'd notice when you would have to go to bed with a bat in your hand in the event a brazen robber tries to enter, or would have to carry a piece just to walk down the street

If sanitation struck, you would notice by the filth all over the streets and the proliferation of rats and maggots. Heck, your nose would notice before you would

And if the parks dept. struck...well...um...there would be a lot of hungry squirrels.

I wouldn't go that far.

If the firefighters were to strike, that would cause panic in the event of a fire that could engulf an entire block, or could lead to deaths when people get trapped in burning buildings or bad car accidents

If the police were to strike, you'd notice when you would have to go to bed with a bat in your hand in the event a brazen robber tries to enter, or would have to carry a piece just to walk down the street

If sanitation struck, you would notice by the filth all over the streets and the proliferation of rats and maggots. Heck, your nose would notice before you would

And if the parks dept. struck...well...um...there would be a lot of hungry squirrels.

The Parks Dept is hilarious.........

What they meant was one will notice when the need those Dept. Most of us don't need a firefighter or police officer everyday, so if they were to strike, it isn't something that everyone notices right away, also the media wouldn't make it major as they did the transit strike. One is not a trained firefighter, but if a fire is small enough, one can put it out themselves. We have the right to bear arms (except in NYC), so I bear arms. The police are not required to protect any person (except in protective custody). If someone breaks into your home whether the cops are working, you are the only one required to protect your home, and property, until they arrive (who knows when that will be). Police are required to maintain law, order, and protect public property. Just due to the fact one can't really sue the PD, cause someone walked up to them, shot them, then robbed them, while police officers were there, but responded after the fact, shows they are not required to protect the public. Yes they say they do, and most believed they do, but that part is just maintaining law and order, not actually protecting any single person..........

So bear arms.............

As for the Dept of Sanitation, well landlord could be required to clean their own properties, and remove the garbage to landfills at their own expense.

Emergency service can be covered by the National Guard.........

There isn't enough of them to run our services............

If the police were to strike, you'd notice when you would have to go to bed with a bat in your hand in the event a brazen robber tries to enter, or would have to carry a piece just to walk down the street.

You'd notice when the National Guard shows up to replace the striking cops and Martial Law is declared.

LOL! INDman anything to add? :)

If the Parks Dept. went on strike, well let me tell you what would happen... nothing. Some of the people who work for parks seem like they are already on strike. Seriously though, it would only effect people if the strike took place during a storm or when there is alot of wind, roads would be blocked because the Parks Dept. always comes out to clear down trees. Other then that, no one would notice.

Oh and Zman, all the ducks would go hungry too.

I thank everyone for all your support, Maybe one day the public of this city and surrounding suburbs will respect us TA workers. We do a job most could not do or want to do. People think our jobs are easy just from the 5 seconds they pay attention to us do it. People walk by my booth and see me sitting there for 3 seconds and some up my whole 8 hours to just sitting there doing nothing. They have no Idea how many people's issues I have to deal with and solve in those 8 hours. How much money I have to deal with and how much paper work that I have to deal with on a daily basis. No one has any idea how dangerous the T/O and C/R's job can be if in the event they have to evacuate a train. And by the way every signle TA employee is trained how to evacuate a train. Also you have to assist the train crew if you are on that train whether your on duty or not even on you day off. TA does this because they feel at all times there will be a TA employee aboard a subway train at all times. I remember the 2005 strike and how it crippled this city. I was not yet apart of the TA family but I was on the TA workers side.

Even the MTA hire ups know this. What you said, is what we were told when hired. They said, if firefighters, police officers, sanitation, parks dept, etc, go on strike, most people wouldn't even notice. Transit goes on strike, everyone notices. When transit strikes, it affects businesses, and peoples lives...............

We are basically the only organization that can cripple NYC...............

That's why the emperor of NYC, big business, and the press all come down so hard on transit workers. They would like to weaken, or break, this union because of the sword the union has over the city's head. I am loathe to call it racism because Mike Quill wielded that same sword over 40 years ago. It's more of a class confrontation because 40 years ago TWU local 100 were rabble-rousers and today we're just thugs. Today the emperor and his allies figure they can ignore the rules they don't like , term limits, and arbitration awards, because they have the press in their pockets for the most part. They pit civil servants against the public while they line their and their cronies pockets. Bogus arguments about pension reform while the city is being sold or given away right before your eyes. They probably think Mr. Zucotti, the arbitrator, is a traitor to his class for ruling the way he did. The public and the local should take a step back, think about what's going on, and unite where possible, because we're all pawns in this massive game being played by the emperor and the powers that be. They already think they own your bodies and they're working on your minds as we fight amongst each other. Meanwhile the emperor buys more union endorsements to blind you to the fact that his company and most media outlets have no use for unions. Just my opinion folks.

That's why the emperor of NYC, big business, and the press all come down so hard on transit workers. They would like to weaken, or break, this union because of the sword the union has over the city's head. I am loathe to call it racism because Mike Quill wielded that same sword over 40 years ago. It's more of a class confrontation because 40 years ago TWU local 100 were rabble-rousers and today we're just thugs. Today the emperor and his allies figure they can ignore the rules they don't like , term limits, and arbitration awards, because they have the press in their pockets for the most part. They pit civil servants against the public while they line their and their cronies pockets. Bogus arguments about pension reform while the city is being sold or given away right before your eyes. They probably think Mr. Zucotti, the arbitrator, is a traitor to his class for ruling the way he did. The public and the local should take a step back, think about what's going on, and unite where possible, because we're all pawns in this massive game being played by the emperor and the powers that be. They already think they own your bodies and they're working on your minds as we fight amongst each other. Meanwhile the emperor buys more union endorsements to blind you to the fact that his company and most media outlets have no use for unions. Just my opinion folks.

Agreed 100%. All to distract the people of this city from the BANKSTERS that are robbing them blind. If there's any class warfare it should be everyone vs. the so-called joke "masters of the universe" with their ponzi schemes, exotic "financial products", their pyramid schemes of fees, and their multimillion dollar bonuses and theft of taxpayer money...but the government which is bought, sold, and paid for by these crooks, would rather have the public hate the TWU and other unions.

T*R*U*T*H

A lot of people out there asleep... :)

This slowdown was noticeble on the two (Q) trains I rode today. This morning, the T/O of the R68A I was riding was crawling into every station making an really smooth stop. Coming back home on an R160 the T/O was just randomly slowing down between stations for no reason (There isn't any timers there and there wasn't no track workers) and crawled going into Kings highway Mantthan bound, he slowed down just before the switches and crawled from there into the station....

This slowdown was noticeble on the two (Q) trains I rode today. This morning, the T/O of the R68A I was riding was crawling into every station making an really smooth stop. Coming back home on an R160 the T/O was just randomly slowing down between stations for no reason (There isn't any timers there and there wasn't no track workers) and crawled going into Kings highway Mantthan bound, he slowed down just before the switches and crawled from there into the station....

If a T/O wanted to he could break the train down as soon as he enters every station and ease to the marker. If a T/O did this it would add at least 10 minutes to most runs. There is no rule that you must come flying into the stations we do it to keep the schedule's which in most cases aren't realistic.

You ever notice how slow a LIRR train enters the station and stops? They crawl into the station ease to the marker and stop!

If a T/O wanted to he could break the train down as soon as he enters every station and ease to the marker. If a T/O did this it would add at least 10 minutes to most runs. There is no rule that you must come flying into the stations we do it to keep the schedule's which in most cases aren't realistic.

You ever notice how slow a LIRR train enters the station and stops? They crawl into the station ease to the marker and stop!

on a positive note i love when T/Os have the train fly into the station and go into a smooth stop at the station. None of that brake jerking that makes me want to puke up my lunch. LOL

I wouldn't be surprised if they also put the train into full service and hold it at that until it's time to leave instead of the holding the brake a min brake so that they can quickly leave.

Yup and C/R's a full 10 slow seconds doors open (1 one thousand, 2 one thousand), deep breath, then look down and see if it's ok to close

and your speed restriction is your speed restriction no matter what...

get a skip and it's slow down to 15 mph as you enter and leave the station (not just before you leave)

i'm sure all these little things would add up

I wouldn't be surprised if they also put the train into full service and hold it at that until it's time to leave instead of the holding the brake a min brake so that they can quickly leave.

Exactly! By a T/O taking a full service brake and not releasing it until he has indication to proceed he would add around 4 minutes to most runs. This is another thing that T/O's do to keep an unrealistic schedule that the public doesn't realize.

I thank everyone for all your support, Maybe one day the public of this city and surrounding suburbs will respect us TA workers. We do a job most could not do or want to do. People think our jobs are easy just from the 5 seconds they pay attention to us do it. People walk by my booth and see me sitting there for 3 seconds and some up my whole 8 hours to just sitting there doing nothing. They have no Idea how many people's issues I have to deal with and solve in those 8 hours. How much money I have to deal with and how much paper work that I have to deal with on a daily basis. No one has any idea how dangerous the T/O and C/R's job can be if in the event they have to evacuate a train. And by the way every signle TA employee is trained how to evacuate a train. Also you have to assist the train crew if you are on that train whether your on duty or not even on you day off. TA does this because they feel at all times there will be a TA employee aboard a subway train at all times. I remember the 2005 strike and how it crippled this city. I was not yet apart of the TA family but I was on the TA workers side.

Just something that should be simple as walking in the yard for a pre-trip, could end up being ones last walk. Walking around hot shoes, between two trains isn't fun, and makes one think............

It was too on the (2) today, as they came onto E180st, 3 in a row, followed by a (5), followed by two more (2)'s. I sat for awhile on the middle track, south of E180st, waiting for break to go into 180st, to go to 239yard, with a Jerome wash.........

I mostly didn't notice it except for the (4) that I took from Union Square to Grand Central. All the others I took ran like normal.

Exactly! By a T/O taking a full service brake and not releasing it until he has indication to proceed he would add around 4 minutes to most runs. This is another thing that T/O's do to keep an unrealistic schedule that the public doesn't realize.

Not a big fan of that because your increasing the odds of your Conductor being assulted by a customer who just missed the train.

I once had a C/R complain that I left the station too fast after getting indication. He said, "If I ever had to re-open the doors, I couldn't." I pointed out that once he gave me indication, it was mine to do with it as I saw fit.

Only in the B Division. :confused:

I once had a C/R complain that I left the station too fast after getting indication. He said, "If I ever had to re-open the doors, I couldn't." I pointed out that once he gave me indication, it was mine to do with it as I saw fit.

Only in the B Division. :confused:

Thats true B Div you run into some odd people unlike A Div where T/O and C/R both just want to keep it moving. All of my C/R like me because I don't play once I got indication I'm out.

Archived