Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
metsfan

Obama wins 2009 Peace prize

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_re_eu/eu_nobel_peace

I would agree that his winning is unexpected, but he deserves it for pulling a 180 in us policy, trying to wind down the ill conceived war in iraq, using diplomacy rather than posturing to get things done. He has also shown how to behave in the light of really undeserved attacks from people he's trying to help. He has also set a new tone for our country, where we are no longer hated in the world, cleanly leaving failed W bush ideology behind for logic and common sense.

- A

You know, i never thought i'd live to see the day where my country would reject our president, a brilliant fair minded educated man, over a tremendous honor he is of well deserving.

He is an incredible leader, and really has some great and needed ideas that even if never realized, are revolutionary coming from the PRESIDENT.

- A

You know, i never thought i'd live to see the day where my country would reject our president

I guess you forgot about George Bush Jr. :P

Not to mention everything he has said about the current American culture of laziness and greed needing to change has just been completely ignored - by the public, by the mainstream media, and by other politicians.

It's just "business as usual" till the next bubble explodes...

Everything's broken, and everyone's proposed solutions are broken but all these people can do is tear down and go to personal attacks ain't a soul out there with any real solutions...they just love to talk shit...if this is the best and brightest then we are f***ed i've said this all along...and *I* support Obama...

and we ARE f***ed...keep running that trade deficit to china every year, hell sell them Hummer too and give em a bigger share of our money...

no one proposed a damn thing about it...obama stepped in to stand up to china regarding the tire imports and they villified him for angering "our trade partner" well excuse me all to hell when did china's interests become more important than American interests in the EYES of the American people...

Bulls*** and political correctness will end us...

"A republic - if you can keep it -" indeed...

Now it's an oligarchy of corporations, special interests, politically correct douches and a nanny state to boot. Keep your money you'll need it...to pay for rectal surgery as an unemployed/uninsured to take the corporate c*** out of your a** when all is said and done...

You know, i never thought i'd live to see the day where my country would reject our president, a brilliant fair minded educated man, over a tremendous honor he is of well deserving.

He is an incredible leader, and really has some great and needed ideas that even if never realized, are revolutionary coming from the PRESIDENT.

- A

What are you smoking? Tell me, how many days after the election did the Nobel Committee vote to award Obama the Nobel Peace Prize?

What has he accomplished so far other than rhetoric and annoying the heck out of the conservatives with said rhetoric? It must be a slow year for the Nobel Peace Prizey worthy candidates and I voted for the guy too.

I'd be interested to know who the other candidates were. If they had to give him an award, at least wait till his rhetoric and ideas and stuff actually produce RESULTS, and not just results, actual positive results. With all the stimulus and other assorted payouts, Unemployment keeps rising with no end in sight.

I'd be interested to know who the other candidates were. If they had to give him an award, at least wait till his rhetoric and ideas and stuff actually produce RESULTS, and not just results, actual positive results. With all the stimulus and other assorted payouts, Unemployment keeps rising with no end in sight.

And the BUSINESSES and SPECIAL INTERESTS that have the politicians in their pocket wouldn't have it any other way.

Like i said I believe in and support Obama but our system is deliberately set up with checks and balances so that no one person can become dictator (for good or bad). Sadly, what has become is that those checks and balances are controlled by big business who DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU, YOUR FAMILY, OR YOUR RIGHT TO A DECENT LIFE...ONLY THEIR OWN PROFITS.

No one, not even Obama, not even Julius Caesar incarnate, can fix that.

The SNL skit was right, he has done nothing at all since getting in office. I thought the Peacr Prize was awarded because of what you have done, not what you plan on doing.

I like Pres. Obama and I support him but I think giving him the peace prize is a bit off for the moment considering a figure like Gandhi doesn't even have a Nobel Peace Prize and look what he did. I mean Obama is a smart, brilliant guy but lets put things into perspective here.

I like Pres. Obama and I support him but I think giving him the peace prize is a bit off for the moment considering a figure like Gandhi doesn't even have a Nobel Peace Prize and look what he did. I mean Obama is a smart, brilliant guy but lets put things into perspective here.

Even the Obama supporters are saying WTF at this decision. Gotta love it.

Obamamania is getting out of hand.

Lets face it people he hasnt done anything what so ever. He was nominated 2 weeks after he got into office.

Why did he win the nobel Peace Prize?

Other than the race thing....Because he had "good intentions"

I'd like to win the nobel peace prize, the 1.5 million dollar check that comes with it and the boasting you can brag about just for having good intentions..

You are right. It is also highly unclear why people like the Dalai Lama and Kofi Annan ever won the Nobel Peace Prize (not to mention Henry Kissinger, who is still public enemy#1 in places as far apart as Chile, Bangladesh and Vietnam).

Even the Obama supporters are saying WTF at this decision. Gotta love it.

Obamamania is getting out of hand.

Obamamania got out of hand ever since Oprah publicly supported him. The whole hoo-ha over a black man becoming president is simply unbelievable. I mean, come on, no one deserves extra credit for just winning an election while happening to be African-American. Nobody gets to choose their race, so I cannot understand why he should be awarded for being black.

What are you smoking? Tell me, how many days after the election did the Nobel Committee vote to award Obama the Nobel Peace Prize?

They don't elect till days ago, he was nominated, along with about 200 other people. They don't nominate people, individuals can nominate someone.

- A

They don't elect till days ago, he was nominated, along with about 200 other people. They don't nominate people, individuals can nominate someone.

- A

Thank you for not answering my question. Since you seem to be in the dark about the subject, here is an ABC News article that answers my question (it's the middle of the article just in case you get lost).

In the 11 days between his entering office and the Nobel committee decision, what did Obama accomplish? Made you feel a little less guilty about being white?

Wow...big deal...its nice that he was given it and all but does it matter? most people who do good things in the world don't accept any credit at all and purposely so...the end result of their work is their trophy. Obama isnt the kind of guy *in my opinion* who would carry a huge ego and take credit for something he didn't work for. Way I see it now that he has it its time to show he deserves it and i think he will. He sounded pretty humble up there in my opinion so I think he intends to do just that. I'll give the guy his full four years to make my judgments.