Freight in the early Metro North era

WMH

Hello,

I am creating an HO model of a section of the Northeast corridor from Stamford, CT to the 125th street station to Grand Central. The era will be 1980. I will most likely run Amtrak AEM-7’s, GE MU2’s and hopefully a model Metro North FL9. I know that Amtrak, Metro North had the passenger side of business I am looking for what freight lines existed, Conrail etc. Does anyone know what type of freight ran in the early eighties from New York to Stamford to parts north in Connecticut? Did early Metro North pull any freight?

Thanks for the help

Metro-North did own a few box cars that were use to transport parts and trucks between the Stamford Yard and Croton Yard. Also they own a few tanker to refuel diesel trains. They have alot of flatcars still that run on the catenary wire repair train along with an ex-Budd Streamliner coach.

Check out Island Modelworks. They have M2s kits. Also Imperial Hobby Productions have FL9 and New Haven EP-5.

Also if you have pics please take pics of your layout.

Along with those, conrail and a few other private lines did freight up there till the mid 80's, after which trucking kinda took over. You can see where a lot of the sidings are disconnected from the current running tracks on the harlem line, and a few on the new haven line.

- A

Archived