F line finally on track for fixes, says NYC Transit; construction, new subway cars

Harry

Relief for riders on the (F) line - one of the longest and most delay prone - is on the way as transit officials are targeting it for a fix, officials said yesterday.

NYC Transit is adding new subway cars on the line, which should reduce breakdowns and improve on-time performance, officials said.

Barriers protecting workers doing long-time construction projects will be built so trains on parallel tracks won't have to slow down.

And, a task force of senior managers, headed by NYC Transit President Howard Roberts, will oversee other improvement strategies while analyzing the Queens-Manhattan-Brooklyn line to develop upgrades.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/10/10/2009-10-10_f_line_finally_on_track_for_fixes_says_nyc_transit_construction_new_subway_cars_.html#ixzz0TZS1CkME

post-1-133288581074_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581074_thumb.jpg

Speaking of the F, I saw a bunch of shuttle buses running on the Prospect parkway today. That must be something to ride an artic on that segment compared to a D4500.

I also saw a bunch of not in service buses running north bound on the BQE and Westbound over the Manhattan Bridge. Which subway shuttle are they serving?

The rider numbers on the (F) will keep it with the larger R46/R68 and the newer more reliable R160's till the next car order comes in most likely. It is crowded in queens, manhattan, and most of brooklyn all the times i've ridden it.

- A

Relief for riders on the (F) line - one of the longest and most delay prone - is on the way as transit officials are targeting it for a fix, officials said yesterday.

NYC Transit is adding new subway cars on the line, which should reduce breakdowns and improve on-time performance, officials said.

Barriers protecting workers doing long-time construction projects will be built so trains on parallel tracks won't have to slow down.

And, a task force of senior managers, headed by NYC Transit President Howard Roberts, will oversee other improvement strategies while analyzing the Queens-Manhattan-Brooklyn line to develop upgrades.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/10/10/2009-10-10_f_line_finally_on_track_for_fixes_says_nyc_transit_construction_new_subway_cars_.html#ixzz0TZS1CkME

As an (F) rider Myself, Im Happy that NYCT is seeing the Light, The (F) needs New Management, The Management on the (F) is like being in hell, The Car equipment that the (F) had before the (F)/(V) swap, the (F) line was hell when it had the R42's, The R32's were not really a problem because they were only used on Rush Hours and weekends, The R46's will stay on the (F) but there will be more R160's than R46's, The R46's are a key symbol of the (F) line, The R160's are good on the (F) as well, The Only line the need to worry about now is the (G).

Thanks, Metsfan. Lets' hope R46s are on the (F) until they retire. I know Jamaica yard has enough to still run on the F if they give some away for the (A) and (C). Did you see how many R46s are in their yard?

The F will not have any R46 when they retire as the T/A plans to have the Queens Blvd Express be the third line to go CBTC. The R46s might be gone by the time the R44 replacements arrive, or the T/A might choose to put make the F all R160 with the R all R46 when the R32s go.

The F will not have any R46 when they retire as the T/A plans to have the Queens Blvd Express be the third line to go CBTC. The R46s might be gone by the time the R44 replacements arrive, or the T/A might choose to put make the F all R160 with the R all R46 when the R32s go.

From what I heard That won't take place anytime soon, If a Brand new Order comes in (R160A/B Op III or R179) it will go to the (A), Soruce:

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=842631

The (F) will still have the R46's, But It would be like this

(F): 65%-70% R160, 45% R46

And If the R160's go to the (R) it would take 25% of the (F)'s R160's but It can be with the R46's also, The (F)/® shares R46's, Before the SMEE swap, The (F)/® shared R32's 2001-2009/R42 Febuary 2009-July 2009. But now they share R46's, If the (R) gets the R160's the ®'s R160's would go to the (F) the next day, After the 14:55 ®omeo does a round trip it goes straghit to Lay Up, usauly Back the it would be an R32, now its an R46, But if the (R) gets R160's It would be an 14:55 out of continenntal.

As for the (F), the (F) will remain with the R46's until retirement

Also R32's at jamaica will be no more very soon, They might have tranferd to CI those last R32's friday night, There was not an R32 (V) last friday.

Also 9123-9132 is back at CI, 9123-9127 is hooked to 8713-8717, its on the (Q).

I don't think this article is telling anyone anything new. People who are observant enough would already have known that they (F) was already in line for improvments had has been getting alot of work done on it. The catch is, these improvments will take over 4 years to impliment. Not alot of things can be done while the Gowanus viaduct project is being done. The only thing that really can be done in terms of service incresses is bringing more R160s to the line. Weekends will be hell in some way for the next 4 years too.

i think jamaica is getting 160s quick because i have noticed the (V) is getting more and more 46s and that means the (F) is getting more 160s last week most of the (V) trains i saw were 46s and last night at 1130 i saw an 42 (R) train real strange but on the (F) at the present time time the cars are not the problem as a (F) rider it seems every train it shares a track with gets precedent like the (E)always get precedent between union turnpike and 36 street and the (F) always waits for the (V) to go into rockefeller ctr at 57st and 6av and at jay st it waits for the (G) at bergen thats what slows the (F) down to me and causes the delays

From what I heard That won't take place anytime soon, If a Brand new Order comes in (R160A/B Op III or R179) it will go to the (A), Soruce:

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=842631

The (F) will still have the R46's, But It would be like this

(F): 65%-70% R160, 45% R46

And If the R160's go to the (R) it would take 25% of the (F)'s R160's but It can be with the R46's also, The (F)/® shares R46's, Before the SMEE swap, The (F)/® shared R32's 2001-2009/R42 Febuary 2009-July 2009. But now they share R46's, If the (R) gets the R160's the ®'s R160's would go to the (F) the next day, After the 14:55 ®omeo does a round trip it goes straghit to Lay Up, usauly Back the it would be an R32, now its an R46, But if the (R) gets R160's It would be an 14:55 out of continenntal.

As for the (F), the (F) will remain with the R46's until retirement

Also R32's at jamaica will be no more very soon, They might have tranferd to CI those last R32's friday night, There was not an R32 (V) last friday.

Also 9123-9132 is back at CI, 9123-9127 is hooked to 8713-8717, its on the (Q).

I'm glad a new order will go to the (A). As an (A) rider I could really care less what train I ride as long as I get to where I have to be on time, but I'm glad that the R44s are getting the boot at last. Now it's all up to when they will go.

I agree that the other lines such as the (G) at Bergen St, the (V) at Rockefeller Center, and the (E) along Queens Blvd are holding up the (F) trains as they pass. As for new improvements, I'm glad the (F)'s getting more and more R160 cars. This way, the R46's can be given to another line such as the (C) or the (G).

I agree that the other lines such as the (G) at Bergen St, the (V) at Rockefeller Center, and the (E) along Queens Blvd are holding up the (F) trains as they pass. As for new improvements, I'm glad the (F)'s getting more and more R160 cars. This way, the R46's can be given to another line such as the (C) or the (G).

The (G) already has R46s. Unless you're talking about making them full-length, then that I'm all for.

Archived