New York City Neighborhoods

EE Broadway Local

I like midtown, roosevelt island, and forrest hills.

Midtown is nuts. :cool:

Roosevelt Island is a totally unique place, a big imposing queensboro bridge, a very interesting subway station with the ESA/subway double deck tunnel. It also carries the (F), my favorite train to ride, because i can take it to coney island after chilling by the water, and of course the tramway is very fun and interesting too, i'd live here if i could.

Forrest hills has a really nice mix of that "middle urban" lansdcape, upscale and middle and lower income housing, along with corner shops and schools, parks, and a beautiful, under-utilized LIRR train station.

- A

Bronx:

1. Wakefield
  2. Riverdale
  3. Co-Op City
  4. City Island
  5. Throgs Neck
  6. West Farms- Only the Bronx Zoo
  7. I forgot what neighborhood was Crotona Park? Because that is Tennis Parade GHI called Kids-Around the World Parade.
  8. Yankees Area Neighborhood
  9. Spuyten Duyvill

Manhattan:

• Inwood
  • Ft. George
  • Harlem
  • Midtown (East, West)
  • Upper East Side
  • Upper West Side
  • Yorkville/Carnegie Hall/El Barrio
  • Battery Park City/Financial District
  • Kips Bay
  • Marble Hills (Bronx)

Brooklyn:

• Bay Ridge, Coney Island
  • Canarsie
  • Park Slope
  • Red Hook
  • Marine Park area.
  • Brooklyn Heights

Queens

• Jackson Heights
  • Flushing
  • East Elmhurst
  • Kew Garden
  • Ozone Park (S included)
  • Elmhurst
  • Rego Park
  • Jamaica
  • Little Neck
  • Broad Channel
  • Far Rockaway neighborhoods
  • Queens Village
  • Flushing

Staten Island:

• St. George
    Huguenot
    Eltingville
    Stapleton
    Tottenville

Long Island Bus territitory (Nassau-Suffolk County)

• Babylon
  • Freeport
  • Great Neck
  • Hicksville
  • Hempstead
  • Garden City- Roosevelt Field)

The Bronx: City Island

Brooklyn: Downtown Brooklyn

Manhattan: Chelsea or Midtown

Nassau: Long Beach or Garden City/Westbury or Great Neck/Manhasset

Queens: Little Neck/Douglaston or Averne

Staten Island: South Beach

Suffolk: Fire Island or Riverhead

New York City is an interesting, diverse, vibrant city - Which neighborhoods by borough are your favorite and what are one or two things about them that make them your favorite?

Bronx-none

Manhattan

Upper East Side-a bit snooty, but a beautiful area. I like the Met Museum and all of the stores on 86 Street, as well as Park Avenue

Upper West Side-I like the Hudson River park and the Museum of Natural History

Chinatown-there's an arcade, a bunch of restaurants, and bootleg goods

Midtown-Times Square, Grand Central, Rockefeller Center, etc

Tribeca-a family oriented area that's not far from the hustle and bustle of lower Manhattan

Brooklyn

Brooklyn Heights-the Brooklyn Heights promenade offers impeccable views of the Brooklyn Bridge. There are many mom and pop stores on Montague Street

Midwood-Brooklyn College is the nicest looking CUNY school. There's a shopping center at Flatbush Junction

Queens

Flushing-a mini Chinatown. The Flushing Library is the best library I've ever been to. Flushing not too far from midtown. Townsend Harris is 10 minutes away. The only caveat is that Citi Field is nearby

Rego Park-a diverse area full of fast food restaurants. There's a Target and Best Buy as well as Queens Center Mall. Since it's near the LIE it's easy to get to midtown

Little Neck/Douglaston-the most prestigious neighborhood in Queens. Features some of the best schools and most expensive real estate

Staten Island

Tottenville-the southernmost point in New York State. Very scenic

The Bronx: Riverdale, approximately the area the (1) train runs along.

Brooklyn: Bay Ridge, Brighton Beach, Park Slope, Greenpoint, North Side Williamsburg (I desperately want to live in this area when I get the money). There's more I can't think of.

Manhattan: SoHo, Chelsea, Midtown, Upper West Side, Central Park. Again, more I can't think of.

Queens: Astoria, Long Island City.

Staten Island: Willowbrook (Staten Island College vicinity), Staten Island Mall (don't necessarily know what area but I love it regardless), New Dorp, Fort Wadsworth, and more.

Fresh Meadows, Queens. It is within walking distance from my apartment and has a nice setup.

I don't like much in Manhattan, it has turned into a millionare's playground; Brooklyn is getting overrun by hipsters; the Bronx is OK some in parts past the southern hellhole near Yankee Stadium; and Staten Island is nice from what I have heard.

New York City is an interesting, diverse, vibrant city - Which neighborhoods by borough are your favorite and what are one or two things about them that make them your favorite?

The Rockaways, I guess cause I live there. I particularly like the western Rockaways, west of Beach 116th St, even though I am quite aware of the lack of public transportation in those parts (the area seems a tribute to Robert Moses). But I must admit I like the setting; I often take the Q35 at Brooklyn College after taking the (5) to its terminal, instead of going home on the (A), as it passes through some nice scenery (Floyd Bennett Field, Marine Parkway Golf Course, Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge, Jacob Riis Park), although the massive car park at Jacob Riis is a sad reminder of Moses.

I like virtually any small island; they have a sense of community that is missing on mainland Long Island where neighborhoods are divided by arbitrary boundaries. I often walk through and explore Broad Channel. I also absolutely love Roosevelt Island: its extremely easy to forget you are in NYC (heck, RI is part of Manhattan), especially when walking through the parks and river-bank in the south , and yet you are a few minutes away from the hustle and bustle of Midtown. The aerial tramway is absolutely fabulous; the views from the top (250 feet up) are absolutely fabulous, and I sometimes go tram-fanning, armed with an Unlimited Ride MetroCard. The RIOC Red Bus is also a nice ride and costs only a quarter. There are two hospitals on the island, so if you live there or are visiting and need medical care, you are in the right place. Being a soccer and tennis lover, RI is just great; Firefighter's Field is great to play soccer in and there are plenty of tennis courts (though I've never used one), belonging to the RI Racquet Club or the Octagon Apartment Complex. The narrow island makes it fun to walk east to west from one river edge to another. Too bad one can't get a rent-stabilized apartment there anymore, and the new apartments, surprisingly, cost millions of dollars (or in excess of $4000 to rent for a 2 bedroom). Still, I often take friends visiting NYC to Roosevelt Island and tell them how great it is.

As I said, I like Broad Channel too, especially the long walk I sometimes take on the Cross Bay Blvd along the Gateway National Recreation Area, eventually crossing the Joseph Addabbo Bridge over into Howard Beach. I like Broad Channel's subway station too, especially the user-operated heater on the platform.

In Manhattan, Upper West Side is the quintessential Manhattan neighborhood, I love the architecture, the diversity and the short distance from Central Park and Riverside Park. I've played soccer at both Riverside Park (right next to the Hudson at the end of 72nd St) and further north at the Booker T Washington Field between West 107th and West 108th St, spanning exactly one city block, and loved the experience. The grandiose buildings (hotels/luxury apartments) along Central Park West are imposing, yet by no means makes UWS a wealthy-elite zone like the UES. The Museum of Natural History and New-York Historical Society are great to visit, and apart from the multitude of street vendors at these and other tourist spots, there are plenty of places to get good, cheap gyro sandwiches, chicken-and-rice, pizza, lasagna etc.

I have only been to the West Village a few times, but I only have great things to say. Once I went to see a rendition of Catch-22 at the Lucille Lortel Theater; got there early, so I took a walk around the neighborhood. It was beautiful autumn weather, the yellow sodium lamps diffused in the mist, the fallen leaves mixed with rainwater to form a mulch that made the sidewalk feel soft and the entire street have a very unique smell. I really wished I lived there. My other main foray into the West Village was to meet Taslima Nasrin, a feminist writer exiled from Bangladesh and India (I am from Bangladesh; I am not particularly sympathetic with Nasrin, but was curious about meeting her anyway) at Fedora, a restaurant and former speakeasy on West 4th St. The place definitely had an interesting atmosphere, being a former speakeasy, it was rather well-hidden and designed to be not noticeable. Anyway, all I mean to say is I think the West Village is great.

The southern part of Greenwich Village (some consider it NoHo) below West 4th St and above Houston St, has a really charming, small town/village atmosphere, with family-run stores (mainly eateries) and 19th century architecture. Admittedly the food there are expensive (no economies of scale like that enjoyed by McDonalds' or Subway), but the food is great and the people are friendly (particular favorites of mine being the brownies at "Once Upon a Tart", the bread pudding at Grandaisy Bakery and heros at an Italian eatery I forgot the name of).

Lower Manhattan is nice to visit on weekends and holidays; its really odd to see the tourists replacing the Financial District workers, but the relative quiet, even desolation on some streets, is remarkable. I wouldn't ever eat or shop there, though: everything is real expensive and the food, at least at the Chipotle Mexican Grill, was not to my liking when I last visited.

Union Square would probably be a great place to unwind if it was not always occupied by construction crews and the Greenmarket, indeed, I do not know what Union Sq by itself looks like. I support the Greenmarket as it provides some people a livelihood and make it easy for local farmers to get their product to market, but the thing happens far too often for my liking. I was told the city makes the pittance of $100,000 a year from the Greenmarket, which is open 4 days a week year round, or about 208 days, meaning they pay just $480 per day, or $48 per hour (10 hours/day) to rent the entire space that they use. The market should seriously provide more funding towards useful public projects in return for the opportunity to set up there. Otherwise, I like the Union Square area and go there often.

I haven't been to Staten Island often, but I like the place when I do go, usually to Walker Park on the North Shore (Bard Avenue and Richmond Terrace) to play cricket. The borough is great but poorly served by public transit; one galling issue is that I sometimes miss the bus (usually take the S40) after getting off the ferry (the 3-5 minute window between ferry's scheduled arrival and bus departures is too narrow, especially if the ferry is delayed or if the terminal is crowded). But there are some nice neighborhoods on the "forgotten borough", I must admit.

I haven't found any nice neighborhoods in the Bronx (sorry, Bronx residents), but every time I go there I get the broken-down-inner-city-live-here-because-you-have-no-choice feeling.

Bayside and Middle Village are two Queens neighborhoods that are nice but with which I have little familiarity (only been in each once).

I haven't really explored much in Brooklyn in the time I have been in New York City (about 15 months now, though I was here once back in 1992 when I was a toddler), so no idea about the neighborhoods there.

Of course, Joe. What else do we expect from you? Surprised you haven't been banned yet.

You should consult a psychiatrist instead of lashing out via internet message boards. Not everyone that disagrees with you is evil, I promise.

(F) East (B)DWY area ,Where I was born and raised and where I push my Goliath .

The Downtown area is so special to me for so many memories past /present.

(N) Ditmars Blvd area great place to chill and get the best (G)yro's you ever eaten.

©helsea Piers

(3)(4)st FDR love seeing those helicopters take-off it's exciting

Canal st/Mott st Chinatown O yehh

You should consult a psychiatrist instead of lashing out via internet message boards. Not everyone that disagrees with you is evil, I promise.

Hah. I've been around on internet message boards long enough to know the undesirables, and that I am not one of them.

"Not everyone that disagrees with you is evil, I promise." So racists aren't evil? What's next? Was Mussolini great because he made the trains run on time? Get a hold of yourself.

The Bronx: Pelham Bay, Parkchester, Morris Park, Unionport [Westchester Square], Bedford Park, West Farms, Baychester, City Island

Queens: Corona, Middle Village, Flushing, Elmhurst

Brooklyn: Downtown Brooklyn

Manhattan: West Midtown, East Village

Staten Island: St. George

Queens:

Glen Oaks/Little Neck: living there doesn't feel like I'm in the city at all

Forest Hills: quiet and a great place to chill

Brooklyn:

Canarsie

Manhattan:

Upper West and East Sides: I went to school on both sides and most of my close friends live there. So many places to shop, eat and relax

Bronx:

Riverdale: You would never thing such a quiet place could be so wild at night

Kingsbridge Heights: My 1st home

Baychester

• 7 months later...

The Bronx:

Morrisania

Williamsbridge

University Heights

Brooklyn:

Sunset Park

Downtown

Flatbush

Canarsie

Bedford-Stuyvesant

Crown Heights

East New York

Borough Park

Williamsburg

Greenpoint

Manhattan:

Inwood

Washington Heights

Harlem

East Harlem

Chinatown

Alphabet City

Queens:

Far Rockaway

Arverne

Rockaway Park

Jamaica

Oakland Gardens

Rego Park

Astoria

Staten Island:

New Dorp

Brooklyn; Coney Island - I love the divirsity, beach, amusment park, major terminal, and the HUGE train yard!

Cypress Hills - my dad lives their, many of my good friends are their, many memories, and the historic Cypress Hills train station is located their.

Archived