Luggage racks planned on some M60 buses?

Pu3rToRoCk8947

If you want to add luggage racks on the M60 you should not use the Orion low-floors for two reasons. First, if the luggage racks take up any more seating space on the low floors they are more trouble than they are worth, as the low floors only seat 35 people (OG) or 33 people (NG). Second, the NGs accelerate like no bus I have ever been on before, and that means at nearly every stop luggage will slide along the racks and get jumbled. Finally, any sharp turns may wll dump everyone's luggage into the aisle. My advice is to either order up some NABI 416s with racks or retrofit some of the WCBL or 6000-6300 series O5s with luggage racks and swap them to MHV for some of the NGs.

It seems the MTA wants to improve the ride to LGA Airport by adding some luggage racks on the M60 bus,ofcourse eliminating some seating space in the back to do this.Some luggage racks are planned for buses to JFK Airport as well in the future.What are your opinions on this idea?

Maybe if everyone wasnt so hell bent on taking the M60 to "Manhattan" not realizing they are in Harlem they can take the 48 or any other bus that can take them to the 7 which will get them to midtown faster the M60 wouldnt be so packed!

u kno wat it is, alot of people use the M60 bus. its the busiest line that operates via 125 St, compared to the Bx15

(to and from the Bronx). so the people who use the M60 bus doesnt always go to the airport. some people take it to Astoria to make the connection with the (N)(W), some people use just use it to go crosstown on 125 St instead of using the Bx15, M100, or M101 (via 125 St). believe it or not...its 9:11pm right now and that bus is crowded this very minute. the M60 bus (to and from LGA) is just like the B15 to and from JFK. i can tell u one thing, ive taken the M60 lots of times, and believe me, its NEVER empty, and ALWAYS crowded. so i dont think its a good idea to put racks on the M60 bus being that the bus is always crowded as it is.

Saw ny1,they but the Luggage racks as shelf's in left side across the rear exit in the Orion Next Gen.I don't know if this is going to work.I mean the people on this route just want to go to queens.

exactly. not everyboy who rides the M60 goes to the airport. either they head to astoria or they go crosstown.

If you want to add luggage racks on the M60 you should not use the Orion low-floors for two reasons. First, if the luggage racks take up any more seating space on the low floors they are more trouble than they are worth, as the low floors only seat 35 people (OG) or 33 people (NG). Second, the NGs accelerate like no bus I have ever been on before, and that means at nearly every stop luggage will slide along the racks and get jumbled. Finally, any sharp turns may wll dump everyone's luggage into the aisle. My advice is to either order up some NABI 416s with racks or retrofit some of the WCBL or 6000-6300 series O5s with luggage racks and swap them to MHV for some of the NGs.

Well, on low floors, you would at least reclaim that wasted space above the wheels, for shelf racks. Perhaps take out that whole closet they provide for the drivers on the other side as well.

Thing is now, you would be talking about dedicated fleets for particular routes. It can be done, but still reduces flexibility.

u kno wat it is, alot of people use the M60 bus. its the busiest line that operates via 125 St, compared to the Bx15

(to and from the Bronx). so the people who use the M60 bus doesnt always go to the airport. some people take it to Astoria to make the connection with the (N)(W), some people use just use it to go crosstown on 125 St instead of using the Bx15, M100, or M101 (via 125 St). believe it or not...its 9:11pm right now and that bus is crowded this very minute. the M60 bus (to and from LGA) is just like the B15 to and from JFK. i can tell u one thing, ive taken the M60 lots of times, and believe me, its NEVER empty, and ALWAYS crowded. so i dont think its a good idea to put racks on the M60 bus being that the bus is always crowded as it is.

one time i took the m60 and it was fairly empty. it was around early afternoon like 12 or 1

I appose the idea. Less room on the bus and hardly much space for more luggage. I wish the M60 bus was articulated, use the NF-D60HF and convert some seats with the racks..

Orion VII NG can't handle all this..

Im wondering now if the M60 will or is now 100% NG because of the racks.. Seeing it does or did ran some HEV OGs..

I appose the idea. Less room on the bus and hardly much space for more luggage. I wish the M60 bus was articulated, use the NF-D60HF and convert some seats with the racks..

Orion VII NG can't handle all this..

Im wondering now if the M60 will or is now 100% NG because of the racks.. Seeing it does or did ran some HEV OGs..

nah they still use like 1 or 2 OG's. but yea its mostly NG's now.

Archived