R-46 lightweight truck fiasco

St Louis Car 09

I wasn't saying they're *THAT* bad. These days NOTHING is like it was in the 70s and 80s. I'm just saying most A Div T/O's prefer R62A to R62 because of the "feel" of the brakes. So nothing needs to rebuilt, it's just operator preferences why I posted that.

I know drama kids these days just want something to go on about but it's all operable and pretty reliable, sorry to disappoint...

Nothing like the *ahem* R-46 back then...

My Question is that.Can a similar situation like the rockwell problem happen with our current fleet or future rolling stock?

It really depends...

There were minor problems with the M7s' flat wheels and the Acelas' brakes in the past few years, but that's really it.

No need for a fight. SubwayGuy is a better operator than me. Got to give him props.:P

Heh...thanks for the props. Don't sweat, you just need more experience with different kinds of equipment. Keep on coming up to CT and you will get it. There's things I have yet to learn also.

The R46s are doing fine, but it's just that the crew aren't used to the R46s' braking having operated the R44s for a longer time.

Considering that the R46s have been at Pitkin since April-May I highly doubt it takes half a year for the T/Os to get used to the braking.

This is the first time I heard about this actually. I've always known the R46s to have no technical problems in spite of Jamaica's poor care and the most I expect are broken doorbells.

You see technical problems on the R46s occasionally, but I think someone on Subchat who was the yard dispatcher at Pitkin said that the R44s actually have a higher MDBF than the R46s. The only reason people bash the R44 for being so horrible is that they just bandwagon on other people who have a hatred for those cars.

Considering that the R46s have been at Pitkin since April-May I highly doubt it takes half a year for the T/Os to get used to the braking.

I dunno I've already tried explaining this sort of thing to him in other threads but it's fallen on deaf ears so I've given up...live and let live...

I dunno I've already tried explaining this sort of thing to him in other threads but it's fallen on deaf ears so I've given up...live and let live...

Dude people can get used to brakes, but preference is a whole different story. And what I meant was preference.

Speaking of brakes.Why During braking on the R44,why is it so noisy and rough compared to the R46?

The R44s and R46s have different braking systems; R44s use Westcode (both rheostatic and friction) with WABCO tread brake unit, while R46s use NYAB SMEE-like system with a NYAB tread brake unit. Note that both trains had their original P-Wire brakes reconfigured during the GOH into SMEE-like braking systems. Also how are the R44s' brakings rough when they never produce any squeak?

The R44s and R46s have different braking systems; R44s use Westcode (both rheostatic and friction) with WABCO tread brake unit, while R46s use NYAB SMEE-like system with a NYAB tread brake unit. Note that both trains had their original P-Wire brakes reconfigured during the GOH into SMEE-like braking systems. Also how are the R44s' brakings rough when they never produce any squeak?
No I know they dont squeak,but they do vibrate and rumble alot compared to the R46 and has a jet engine like noise from the motors during braking.

The R44s and R46s have different braking systems; R44s use Westcode (both rheostatic and friction) with WABCO tread brake unit, while R46s use NYAB SMEE-like system with a NYAB tread brake unit. Note that both trains had their original P-Wire brakes reconfigured during the GOH into SMEE-like braking systems.

Just to clarify on this for everyone since that sounds like it was quoted from somewhere and uses things you may or may not be familiar with, a couple things:

Rheostatic = dynamic brake it's just another name for it but 95% of the time it's called "dynamic brake" or "dynamics"

For some basic info on the old P wire system (my long post on page 2 of that thread should explain most of what's unclear in the linked post):

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=159230&postcount=47

Also, a Tread Brake Unit (TBU) just means the physical brake shoes are located at the center of the truck between the two wheels. This is compared to a Clasp Brake which has shoes on both sides of the wheel that "clasp" around each. Here are some pics to illustrate:

Clasp Style:

Notice the shoe and rigging (circled in red) at both ends of the truck. There is also a shoe on each wheel in the yellow area.

From the side, The truck looks like this: ( O ) ( O )

The symbols above: ( and ) = shoes and O = wheel

2ho8gu1.jpg

Tread Brake

Notice there is no shoe at the red circle. There are still shoes on each wheel in the yellow area.

From the side, the truck looks like this - same symbols as above: O ) ( O

sfexir.jpg

Archived