Question for my fellow motormen

MotormanMike

I was a cleaner for most of my career in TA.I can tell you it's the most thankless job down here!I have nothing but the utmost respect for my fellow CTA's that keep the stations clean.For the most part it's a very EASY job but you get those days where you have to shovel snow(Mandatory) clean and disinfect sh*t,vomit,urine,blood,spit off the window of token booths,grafitti,public and employee bathrooms(THE WORST!!!!!)refuse rooms,dead rats,breathe in rat and bird droppings,chemicals and......Clean up BODY parts!!!Years ago, I would say around 2000 on the number 7 line,a guy hopped in front of a train and it tore his a*s up!His head fell to the street and his brains, fingers and other parts were all over the platform!!Guess who had to clean it up???ME!!SOB...:mad: I should have went out on comp...:D Stations for the most part(when I was there) is LESS stressful than RTO.The things I missed about stations is I worked alone and I could get a day off ANYTIME guaranteed!!!Each job has it's advantages and disadvantges.I had some great times in stations and I'll NEVER forget where I came from.I do believe T/O should atleast get the same pay as LIRR.(Prolly NEVER happen):D

I was a cleaner for most of my career in TA.I can tell you it's the most thankless job down here!I have nothing but the utmost respect for my fellow CTA's that keep the stations clean.For the most part it's a very EASY job but you get those days where you have to shovel snow(Mandatory) clean and disinfect sh*t,vomit,urine,blood,spit off the window of token booths,grafitti,public and employee bathrooms(THE WORST!!!!!)refuse rooms,dead rats,breathe in rat and bird droppings,chemicals and......Clean up BODY parts!!!Years ago, I would say around 2000 on the number 7 line,a guy hopped in front of a train and it tore his a*s up!His head fell to the street and his brains, fingers and other parts were all over the platform!!Guess who had to clean it up???ME!!SOB...:mad: I should have went out on comp...;) Stations for the most part(when I was there) is LESS stressful than RTO.The things I missed about stations is I worked alone and I could get a day off ANYTIME guaranteed!!!Each job has it's advantages and disadvantges.I had some great times in stations and I'll NEVER forget where I came from.I do believe T/O should atleast get the same pay as LIRR.(Prolly NEVER happen):(
I would have quit if I had to do that.

Hey NASCAR, Thank you.

If I had to do a clean up like that, I would have headed for the hills.

You get used to it...The body parts happened only once.Cleaning was to get my foot in the door for MTA.I knew I wasn't gonna do that for 25 years.You gotta start from the ground up!

I was a cleaner for most of my career in TA.I can tell you it's the most thankless job down here!I have nothing but the utmost respect for my fellow CTA's that keep the stations clean.For the most part it's a very EASY job but you get those days where you have to shovel snow(Mandatory) clean and disinfect sh*t,vomit,urine,blood,spit off the window of token booths,grafitti,public and employee bathrooms(THE WORST!!!!!)refuse rooms,dead rats,breathe in rat and bird droppings,chemicals and......Clean up BODY parts!!!Years ago, I would say around 2000 on the number 7 line,a guy hopped in front of a train and it tore his a*s up!His head fell to the street and his brains, fingers and other parts were all over the platform!!Guess who had to clean it up???ME!!SOB...:mad: I should have went out on comp...;) Stations for the most part(when I was there) is LESS stressful than RTO.The things I missed about stations is I worked alone and I could get a day off ANYTIME guaranteed!!!Each job has it's advantages and disadvantges.I had some great times in stations and I'll NEVER forget where I came from.I do believe T/O should atleast get the same pay as LIRR.(Prolly NEVER happen):(

Wow.... +1000 respect. And I thought my HHA work was something...

• 3 months later...

i know before i said that breaking away from Local 100 would be a bad move. but now seeing what the (MTA) plans to do over the next few years, NOW might actually be a good time to start thinking about a union just for Train Operators. its clear that the (MTA) plans to threaten layoffs in exchange for less money and benefits. station agents are being affected because of the new MetroCard Vending Machines. bus operators are next because so many routes are being eliminated. as soon as this contract ends its going to be the conductors when the (MTA) can implement OPTO again. so since they cant really lay off train operators, the T/Os should try to get out of this mess as soon as possible. it will always be a requirement that someone be in the first car, and it is very hard to eliminate a major subway line unless ridership drops off a cliff. they got rid of the (W) but it'll be supplemented by the (N). they got rid of the (M) but it will be supplemented by the (V). they couldnt even get rid of the (Z)! and my dad was like "i didnt even know there was a (Z)" LOL. so i think T/O is very secure and shouldnt worry about being laid off, just concentrate on the pay and benefits at this point. maybe thats just because i wanna be a T/O in the future :P

I think solidarity is the right move now. We have major numbers as a whole group. We need to use this to our advantage. Unless T/O's get picked up by another "operators" union, I don't see it being a good move. From what i heard T/O's were already rejected by LIRR locomotive engineers union.

i know before i said that breaking away from Local 100 would be a bad move. but now seeing what the (MTA) plans to do over the next few years, NOW might actually be a good time to start thinking about a union just for Train Operators. its clear that the (MTA) plans to threaten layoffs in exchange for less money and benefits. station agents are being affected because of the new MetroCard Vending Machines. bus operators are next because so many routes are being eliminated. as soon as this contract ends its going to be the conductors when the (MTA) can implement OPTO again. so since they cant really lay off train operators, the T/Os should try to get out of this mess as soon as possible. it will always be a requirement that someone be in the first car, and it is very hard to eliminate a major subway line unless ridership drops off a cliff. they got rid of the (W) but it'll be supplemented by the (N). they got rid of the (M) but it will be supplemented by the (V). they couldnt even get rid of the (Z)! and my dad was like "i didnt even know there was a (Z)" LOL. so i think T/O is very secure and shouldnt worry about being laid off, just concentrate on the pay and benefits at this point. maybe thats just because i wanna be a T/O in the future :)

Like Vee said solidarity is the best move we can make now. We have strength in numbers. Breaking up is exactly what the (MTA) wants us to do right about now to weaken our position. They are not laying off S/A's because of the metrocard machines. Have you ever seen the break down percentage of those things? They break down at least twice a day at some locations. They are trying to run a personless system for some reason. Even cities such as DC and philly That us OPTO still have a station agent at there stations. And they also have farecard machines. DC basically has station customer assistants which the MTA is trying to abolish here and philly still has agents that handle money. I understand your reasons for your comments because you want to be a T/O some day as do I. But you gotta look the (MTA) from my point of view as well as others who know their bs from the inside. And if I get laid off give me my $400 something dollars a week and I'll be good for a year. And I'll use the time to go back to school while I'am waiting for them to reinstate me if they do. And If I get offered another title then I'll take it and continue to take promotional exams.

If T/O's were to break away it would STRENGTHEN there bargaining position not weaken it.

Go ahead and see. We don't work for the LIRR or MNRR, we work for (NYCT). Apparently the union for LIRR turned down NYCT T/O's more than likely because they don't want to deal with the (NYCT) branch of the (MTA) because they know how full of shit they are. An (NYCT) T/O/Motorman will never get paid on the same level as a LIRR or MNRR engineer.

Go ahead and see. We don't work for the LIRR or MNRR, we work for (NYCT). Apparently the union for LIRR turned down NYCT T/O's more than likely because they don't want to deal with the (NYCT) branch of the (MTA) because they know how full of shit they are. An (NYCT) T/O/Motorman will never get paid on the same level as a LIRR or MNRR engineer.

You really have no idea what your talking about. If over 3000 T/O's officially seperated from local 100 many unions INCLUDING the brotherhood of locomotive engineers would be lining up to pick up that many new members.

We are too far behind to catch up to the other branches but we wouldn't have to worry about getting bad contracts like the last 3. They TA only gets away with these shitty contracts because they know most of the other titles vote for anything because they are just happy to have a job.

I know it will never happen because too many people are scared of change, but if it ever did T/O's would do MUCH better during contract time than local 100.

Will you need to take every test because your title is DEAD!!!

Archived