You think 2.25 is too high for a fare on an MTA Bus or Train?

CPBO

I just got back from my trip as you all know.....I got to tell you 2.25 seems cheap to ride anywhere From the Bronx to Queens to Brooklyn.....I took the train and the bus in Europe and do you know what they charge for a 1 hr fare?? with no transfer?? try Euro 2.60.....that is 3.86 usd.... I was like GTF out!! I learned later that you could by tickets in the local smoke shop for 7.30Euro for 7 trips which is 10.85 usd....thank god for that....cause the other way you really get it.....but it was good to see how other systems work and what they charge etc..... this trip helped me see things different when it comes to our system....I appreciate some things and hate others.....but such is life.....and remeber the grass always looks greener on the other side till you get there.

I just got back from my trip as you all know.....I got to tell you 2.25 seems cheap to ride anywhere From the Bronx to Queens to Brooklyn.....I took the train and the bus in Europe and do you know what they charge for a 1 hr fare?? with no transfer?? try Euro 2.60.....that is 3.86 usd.... I was like GTF out!! I learned later that you could by tickets in the local smoke shop for 7.30Euro for 7 trips which is 10.85 usd....thank god for that....cause the other way you really get it.....but it was good to see how other systems work and what they charge etc..... this trip helped me see things different when it comes to our system....I appreciate some things and hate others.....but such is life.....and remeber the grass always looks greener on the other side till you get there.

Good to know. I'm sick of people b****ing about the fare. When you think about it that $2.25 can get you all around the 5 boro's AND GIVE YOU FREE TRANSFERS TO OR FROM A BUS, that's pretty damn good. Most other systems don't do the bus to subway/subway to bus transfer...personally I wouldn't miss it if it were to go since with unlimited ride cards, it would force pay per ride card holders to really need to make transfers or else skip...guarantee too many feel too "entitled" to not walk...

I personally didn't need this info to know I was getting a pretty good deal on the system here in NYC. Nonetheless I'm happy for the details from any other location without an issue. When you live in an area that isn't served well by bus or train, you learn to appreciate something like this. After moving to Delaware, I came back with a better attitude toward the transit system here in NYC. I have no idea how I survived down there. I didn't even have a car.

Some systems such as Washington, D.C., BART, PATCO and the London Underground use a zone system. In London, you can travel into Zone 9 to Amersham on the Met. That far, a cash fare from Baker Street costs 7 pounds one way or an Oyster Card fare costs 6 pounds peak hours or 3 pounds off peak.

For Zone 1 (Central London) only cash fare is 4 pounds but Oyster Card fare is 1 pound 60 pence (peak and off peak).

I agree with the above posts. There are a lot of places that don't have a stable fare as we do (i.e. wherever you go in NYC, it's $2.25). You can go from the northernmost station on the city to the southernmost, and all it costs you is $2.25. I'm good!

The Subway is still reasonable, the Bridges and Tunnels are overpriced though, they keep raising the bridge tolls and the throgs neck and the other bridges still look a few steps away from falling into the water. The Throgs Neck has been perpetually under construction since as long as I can remember.

The Subway is still reasonable, the Bridges and Tunnels are overpriced though, they keep raising the bridge tolls and the throgs neck and the other bridges still look a few steps away from falling into the water. The Throgs Neck has been perpetually under construction since as long as I can remember.

Not to mention that there was a fire on the Throgs Neck a couple months ago.

Not to mention that there was a fire on the Throgs Neck a couple months ago.

And that has to do with what? That was an accident, the (MTA) did not go and start it just to hassle commuters. Things like fires happen and when they do, people need to learn to deal with it. Any closure or service cut is done for your safety and the safety of those working to repair and damage done by said accident. If is backs up traffic or makes you late for school or work, suck it up and leave earlier.

As to the people who complain about the $2.25 fare, I say the TA should go to a zone fare just line LIRR, MNCRR, and all the other transit systems where you really do pay alot more for alot less (literally, the NYC subway is the largest in the US). If they did that then, yea people would really have something to ***** about, but until that STFU and pay your fare.

I don't have any prolb with the fare I feel its fine....people in ny take it for granted I think....just image if the (MTA) had fare zones

(Q)44-50 cent more to go to the bronx

(Q)60-1.00 to enter the city during rush hour....75 cents other times

Or any bus that (MTA) bus that enter 96 street or blelow 50 cents more during rush hour...

That's just a few feel free to add more...

I feel people dislike the fare cuz service is not good to them. Or when trains are running late or when a some one gets sick and the train has to stop and u hear...(I'm paying 2.25 for this....)

I get a 51.50 card everytwo weeks.....and I know for sure I use more than that.......

Just think if new yorkers had a piot program for fare zone....they people will be beging for that 2.25 fare back

(J)(F)(K)

it's almost like people are hopping on the bandwagon regarding w/ the OP's post....

If you've been so used to something over a period of years, chances are you're gonna feel a little disgusted when change comes about... especially if it affects your everyday life... So I don't get the sense that all of a sudden, some of you were so open & accepted to the fact that the fare went up a quarter (50 cents if you're a regular x-bus rider) boded well w/ ya....

For me, it wasn't the actual amount that bothered me... it's the fact that it keeps increasing at the rate it is... and it's not like it's 5 cents here, 10 cents there....

Now it went up 25 cents, what's to stop the MTA from raising the (local bus/subway) fare 50 cents on the next go round... then a couple yrs. after that, a whole dollar.... it's not like the rate of the increase is steady...

and don't bother telling me the value of a dollar isn't worth as much as it used to be way back when... you'd be preaching to the ole choir.....

it's almost like people are hopping on the bandwagon regarding w/ the OP's post....

If you've been so used to something over a period of years, chances are you're gonna feel a little disgusted when change comes about... especially if it affects your everyday life... So I don't get the sense that all of a sudden, some of you were so open & accepted to the fact that the fare went up a quarter (50 cents if you're a regular x-bus rider) boded well w/ ya....

For me, it wasn't the actual amount that bothered me... it's the fact that it keeps increasing at the rate it is... and it's not like it's 5 cents here, 10 cents there....

Now it went up 25 cents, what's to stop the MTA from raising the (local bus/subway) fare 50 cents on the next go round... then a couple yrs. after that, a whole dollar.... it's not like the rate of the increase is steady...

and don't bother telling me the value of a dollar isn't worth as much as it used to be way back when... you'd be preaching to the ole choir.....

The fare has been the same for a few years already and now to take into account the rise of fuel costs, the fare has to be increased eventually. At least it wasn't the radical $3 fare they originally wanted or the drastic service cuts.

Yes, you have a right to be pissed off about paying an extra quarter, but you can't say that the fare is that unreasonable that you would prefer to drive into the city or whereever than to pay a $2.25 fare to get to any point in the city and letting someone else take you to your destination, can you?

No bandwagon hopping, the fare is 'fair'. Now cleaning up the bureaucracy mismanagement, that's another story...

People keep saying that they want service improvments. That costs money, so if you really want express service here, a station rehab there, a new bus route on this part of the city, or ADA access you need to pay for it. Nothing is free so stop being cheap and pay the extra $.25 or keep the fare the same for several years and suffer for it down the road. Right now we are paying off the damage done when the fare was kept at $.5 for several decades and when they did raise the fare, it was not raised enough to keep the system in good repair. Now they are trying to fix all the damage done in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. If you don't like it, don't pay and done ride the subway or buses.

And that has to do with what? That was an accident, the (MTA) did not go and start it just to hassle commuters. Things like fires happen and when they do, people need to learn to deal with it. Any closure or service cut is done for your safety and the safety of those working to repair and damage done by said accident. If is backs up traffic or makes you late for school or work, suck it up and leave earlier.

As to the people who complain about the $2.25 fare, I say the TA should go to a zone fare just line LIRR, MNCRR, and all the other transit systems where you really do pay alot more for alot less (literally, the NYC subway is the largest in the US). If they did that then, yea people would really have something to ***** about, but until that STFU and pay your fare.

LMAO STFU and pay your fare:) Yes!

The fare has been the same for a few years already and now to take into account the rise of fuel costs, the fare has to be increased eventually. At least it wasn't the radical $3 fare they originally wanted or the drastic service cuts.

Yes, you have a right to be pissed off about paying an extra quarter, but you can't say that the fare is that unreasonable that you would prefer to drive into the city or whereever than to pay a $2.25 fare to get to any point in the city and letting someone else take you to your destination, can you?

No bandwagon hopping, the fare is 'fair'. Now cleaning up the bureaucracy mismanagement, that's another story...

As I was typing that response, I figured someone would come along & state/plead that they weren't bandwagon hopping... at the expense of thinking that I thought the current 2.25 fare was unreasonable, when I blatantly stated that the amount of the current fare isn't what I have a problem with.

Putting that to the side....

But wait a minute....

This is coming from someone who thinks a 3 dollar fare would be "radical"...

that's 75 cents away from the current fare, dude.... at this rate of increase, we're not that far away from such a.... radical figure. ;)

I hope you're not naive enough to believe that the fare will remain at 2.25 for any grand length of time.

...Concourse.

Archived