What's the story with the abandoned trackways at West 8 Street Station?

Pu3rToRoCk8947

As i was on a Manhattan bound (F) train,i noticed some trackways going up towards the (Q) Brighton Line as my train left West 8 Street and curved towards the (F) Neptune Avenue Station.I always wondered about those trackways and i never could find any information on what service ran on it and what year it stopped operating,i had looked at a copies of old replica maps from a book called "Twelve Historical New York City Street And Transit Maps" and no info.Does anyone know any historical info on those trackways?

The trackways that ramp up from the Lower Level of West Eighth Street (today's Culver Line) used to be the Brighton Local tracks, while the upper level tracks (today's Brighton Line) used to be the Brighton Express tracks. As a result, Brighton Local trains used the lower level, while Brighton express trains used the upper level. If that track configuration still existed to this day, and through express service was initiated (e.g. (:P trains to Coney Island), (Q) trains would use the lower level, and (:P trains would use the upper. Hope this helps.

It does help,thanks

Actually the trackways and steel girders are still there,as well a house of some sort in the middle.It would be nice if they would reinstall the tracks and initiate some sort of service again but we all know that would be impossible,this also reminds me of the trackways on the (J)(M)(Z) Myrtle Avenue Station too.

If this service was ever re-instated think about the congestion the (Q) would have with merging with the (F) at West 8 St, then sharing a 2-track platform at Stillwell.. People wouldn't be too happy.:eek:

Not to mention that the upper level wouldn't be used at all. That wouldn't be very smart. :P

Well didn't Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island terminal handle 6 different lines at one time back in the early 80's?

(:P West End Line

(D)(M)(Q) Brighton Line

(F) Culver Line

(N) Sea Beach Line

It did, but at different times of the day. The (:P, (F) and (N) went there at all times, while the (M) ran to C.I. during weekdays, the <Q> during rush hours in the peak direction, and the (D) during late nights and weekends.

It did, but at different times of the day. The (:P, (F) and (N) went there at all times, while the (M) ran to C.I. during weekdays, the <Q> during rush hours in the peak direction, and the (D) during late nights and weekends.

Perfect my man! Hit the nail on the head on that one :cool::tup:

Archived