(2)(3)(5) Ideas

r40s 4501

(2) 241st Street,bronx-Flatbush Avenue,Brooklyn all time

(3)Some go to 149th Street – Grand Concourse or 180 st via express stop

(5)Dyre Avenue in Eastchester, the Bronx and Flatbush Avenue in Midwood, Brooklyn, operating local in the Bronx and express in Manhattan and Brooklyn. During rush hours in the peak direction, 5 trains operate express in the Bronx and also operates between Nereid Avenue in the Bronx and Flatbush Avenue. Evening and weekend service terminates at Bowling Green in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn. Late night service operates only in the Bronx between Dyre Avenue and East 180th Street, with (2) and (4) trains replacing the 5 in the rest of the Bronx, and in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

<5>241st Street or East 180th Street to Atlantic Avenue. During rush hours, they were extended to Utica Avenue.

oh thats just nice of you. No Harlem bound (3)! -_-bZ

Everything is perfect the way it is now. This would be confusing passangers and leading T/A to spend more..

(2) already does all times..

Leave the (4)(5) alone..

To the OP:

How are you going to terminate trains at Atlantic Av? 4 trains needs to get past that station to Utica. And leave the 5 as is. I love it how the 5 now goes to Flatbush Av all day now. Sure beats waiting for only the 2 now.

The 5 and the <5> are not really different lines other than different northern terminals. Both of them go to the same southern terminals.

(2) 241st Street,bronx-Flatbush Avenue,Brooklyn all time

(3)Some go to 149th Street – Grand Concourse or 180 st via express stop

(5)Dyre Avenue in Eastchester, the Bronx and Flatbush Avenue in Midwood, Brooklyn, operating local in the Bronx and express in Manhattan and Brooklyn. During rush hours in the peak direction, 5 trains operate express in the Bronx and also operates between Nereid Avenue in the Bronx and Flatbush Avenue. Evening and weekend service terminates at Bowling Green in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn. Late night service operates only in the Bronx between Dyre Avenue and East 180th Street, with (2) and (4) trains replacing the 5 in the rest of the Bronx, and in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

<5>241st Street or East 180th Street to Atlantic Avenue. During rush hours, they were extended to Utica Avenue.

(2) 241St-Flatbush it already does that

(3) to Concourse or E 180th St For what purpose ?

(5) it already does that

<5> We did that 20+ years ago and moved on to better things.

I'd really like to know the point you're trying make 'cause I must have missed something. Is this a test?

(2) 241St-Flatbush it already does that

(3) to Concourse or E 180th St For what purpose ?

(5) it already does that

<5> We did that 20+ years ago and moved on to better things.

I'd really like to know the point you're trying make 'cause I must have missed something. Is this a test?

i do have to agree with you about leaving things alone!

Tho I wonder what is the progress on the WPR line seeing its still running local..

The only thing I would change is maybe having the 5 in the Bronx the local and the 2 the express to avoid the 'delay' at 180th for when the 5 has to go to Dyre Av. Otherwise the current set up is fine.

The reason that's done is because ridership patterns show a majority of the (5) express traffic wanting the east side.

As for the "delay" i could be wrong on this, but I believe this is part of the work they are doing up there (by the flyover north of E180), to smooth out operations up there, but I'm not 100% sure. I was up there recently but it was dark so I couldn't really make out any progress from the last time just seeing that there was still work zones set up but no workers there when we rolled through.

oic, damn that sucks. They are kind of screwing over the 2 line overall by keeping the 5 express and the 2 making all those stops, imo.

That's not the delay that I mean, I mean that the 5 has to run from the express track over to the local in order to get to the Dyre branch. Same way the 5 has to when going to Flatbush Av.

The reason that's done is because ridership patterns show a majority of the (5) express traffic wanting the east side.

As for the "delay" i could be wrong on this, but I believe this is part of the work they are doing up there (by the flyover north of E180), to smooth out operations up there, but I'm not 100% sure. I was up there recently but it was dark so I couldn't really make out any progress from the last time just seeing that there was still work zones set up but no workers there when we rolled through.

a t/o on this forum said they are building a track from Union Port Yd to E180th Yd so the trains that need yard access transfer won't need to go thru e180th station. And to upgrade signal

Aww no more 3 headed monster? Darn...

Wonder if that was what is meant by upgrade the signal, interesting though when I was up there it was an LED signal for high visibility which means they've made improvements to the signal obviously but not yet changed the aspects it will display.

The only thing I'd advocate for is the (5) to Brooklyn during the day. Service to Flatbush on the weekends is not so great; I've seen back-to-back-to-back (3) trains on weekends to the point that it wasn't even funny. One time, they had to send a (5) train to Brooklyn for some reason I don't even know.

The only thing I'd advocate for is the (5) to Brooklyn during the day. Service to Flatbush on the weekends is not so great; I've seen back-to-back-to-back (3) trains on weekends to the point that it wasn't even funny. One time, they had to send a (5) train to Brooklyn for some reason I don't even know.

They tried that within the last year as a pilot program, but the results of the test were the ridership didn't justify it.

Hmmmmmm lets see

1. Can't send the (3) up there for a few reasons...

A. E. 180 St is used heavily by the (2) & (5) trains.

B. Delays would be even higher cuz it can barely handle those 2 lines now.

2. Rush hour (5) already does that pattern. Actually in the exact way you just said it.

3. I don't think Atlantic Av can be used as a terminal anymore cuz the lay-up is before the station. Going by your plan, it would literaly have to do this...

Atlantic Av-bound <5> pulls into the station. It stays there to dump the passengers and so crews can clean the train and what not. Meanwhile, A Utica Av-bound (4) is held back at Nevins St waiting for that <5> go clear the platform. So after that <5> is cleared, it reverses on the track just to get into that lay-up, making even more delays.

Now going back to Manhattan, that <5> on the lay-up turns into a (5) (I assume) to get back to the city. So it comes into the station on the Manhattan-bound track while at the same time holding up a Manhattan-bound (4).

See the point I'm trying to make. Atlantic, no. Utica, maybe but I think they use the latter anyway.

a t/o on this forum said they are building a track from Union Port Yd to E180th Yd so the trains that need yard access transfer won't need to go thru e180th station. And to upgrade signal

The connection is being built to allow out of service Dyre trains direct access to East 180th St yard which means a switch and associated signals are being installed now. The switch is partially completed now and the new signals are in place but covered for now. One of the old interlocking signals has been modified already so the 3 headed monster has only 2 heads now. Weather permitting, more work is scheduled for this weekend.

(2)Seventh Ave Express

Leave it the way it is, but i'll admit; its messed up how it gots to make all those stops in The Bronx while the (5) makes 6 stops then goes express the whole way but its about what the people want.

(3)Seventh Ave Express

If the MTA was somewhat rich.....the (3) could or should be extended past 145th St into the Bronx to connect w/ the (4) near 149th St-Grand Concourse running w/the (4) to Woodlawn as a local and during rush hours as a express train (probaly). Late nights it terminates @ Harlem-148th St like it does now.

(5)Lexington Ave Express

Outside of being a Rogers Junction burden, its fine the way it is. I agree it should run local in the Bronx w/ the (2) at nights and express in Manhattan to Grand Central-42nd St.

(2)Seventh Ave Express

Leave it the way it is, but i'll admit; its messed up how it gots to make all those stops in The Bronx while the (5) makes 6 stops then goes express the whole way but its about what the people want.

(3)Seventh Ave Express

If the MTA was somewhat rich.....the (3) could or should be extended past 145th St into the Bronx to connect w/ the (4) near 149th St-Grand Concourse running w/the (4) to Woodlawn as a local and during rush hours as a express train (probaly). Late nights it terminates @ Harlem-148th St like it does now.

(5)Lexington Ave Express

Outside of being a Rogers Junction burden, its fine the way it is. I agree it should run local in the Bronx w/ the (2) at nights and express in Manhattan to Grand Central-42nd St.

The (3) via WPR not good, so much delays on the WPR, even the (3) passes there for a cleaning at 239th and still a bit over capacity, especially during RH . Plus this will anger people from 148th and 145th St Station with no (3) service on Lenox. The (5) late night.. I dont know. I dunno how much crews would that need and it cost the t/a money

No, you misread the post, 2line is saying run the 3 with the 4 up the Jerome line. The 2/5 stays the same.

I would think he's talking about a connection to the 4 somewhere near Yankees stadium or something.

oh sry.. Too bad the New Yankees Stadium didnt block the old 9th Ave EL connection, the (3) could of used that th0.

But it dont think the t/a will be building any type of EL in future

I would think it would be more like a tunnel that would graually rise up to connect to the el. But yes, the new stadium is blocking what used to be the old polo grounds link to the Jerome Av line.

The connection will have to be built taking up parts of the street or a lot so the 3 can connect to the 4 by running on top of it [sort of like the Manhattan bound L to the J line at Broadway Junction]

Like this

I would think it would be more like a tunnel that would graually rise up to connect to the el. But yes, the new stadium is blocking what used to be the old polo grounds link to the Jerome Av line.

The connection will have to be built taking up parts of the street or a lot so the 3 can connect to the 4 by running on top of it [sort of like the Manhattan bound L to the J line at Broadway Junction]

Like this

That might affect development around it and could lead to traffic all over the River Avenue area. If the T/A would of done this years ago, we'd be cool right now. Similar to the SAS project.

I was thinking right after (literally right after) 149th St-Grand Concourse towards Yankee Stadium a tunnel connection could be built allowing the (3) to run on the Jerome Line to Woodlawn all times except late nights. It would be a lot cheaper than connecting the (3) to Jerome Ave by tunnel + elevated structure between Yankee Stadium and 167th St.

I wonder if the (3) Jerome connection would allow the (2) to run express in The Bronx (south of E. 180th) rush hours and the (5) runs local all times except late nights.

Archived