R160 (D) Train Mystery

Sea Beach

dont be suprised if they tested on the (G)(R)(V). i was on the train with my cousin whos a conductor on the (R) line, and he told me that they're trying to make the Jamaica and Coney Island yards all R160's. my mouth dropped, lol.

but brighton local is right...

Concourse Yard: (D)

Concourse Yard Lay-Up: (;)(4)

Coney Island Yard: (;)(N)(Q)(S)(W) ((S) Franklin Av)

Coney Island Yard Lay-Up: (D)(F)(G)(M)(R)(V) ((G)(V) once in a blue)

East New York Yard: (J)(Z)

East New York Yard Lay-Up: (L)(M)

Fresh Pond Yard: (M)

Jamaica Yard: (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)

36-38 St Yard: None

36-38 St Yard Lay-Up: (:)(D)(R) (Once in a blue)

ENY handles the (J)(M)(Z) and (L) lines.Fresh pond is a storage yard.

It doesnt seem like that because it made 2 trips,CI bound and BX bound,and dont forget the one on the weekend. and dont forget some of the R68 went for SMS,so they need replacement sets and these R160's couldve been the temporary replacements.

It was in service... and arent all 98** in service and finished testing?

Option 2 order of R160Bs 9803-9872 will go to the (E)(F) and 9873-9942 will run on the (N)(Q)(W) because these cars have different propulsions, as far as I know. According to what you're saying R160A/B might appear on the (D) due to the rehabbing of the R68s.

Option 2 order of R160Bs 9803-9872 will go to the (E)(F) and 9873-9942 will run on the (N)(Q)(W) because these cars have different propulsions, as far as I know. According to what you're saying R160A/B might appear on the (D) due to the rehabbing of the R68s.

I don't think so, because if it was car shortage, why would they take 160's, which some on the line might not be qualified for, when the (:) and (Q) have identical 68's, and also similar 68A's. That's what the (D) used to borrow all the time. If anything, you would think they would throw the 32 on there, because then it would be based in Concourse, where it might end up in storage after use anyway. (and whatever 68 it would have borrowed stay on the (:o, and any JYD 160 needed to fill any CI shortage be borrowed by the (N)(Q)(W) instead).

dont be suprised if they tested on the (G)(R)(V). i was on the train with my cousin whos a conductor on the (R) line, and he told me that they're trying to make the Jamaica and Coney Island yards all R160's. my mouth dropped, lol.

but brighton local is right...

Concourse Yard: (D)

Concourse Yard Lay-Up: (:)(4)

Coney Island Yard: (:o(N)(Q)(S)(W) ((S) Franklin Av)

Coney Island Yard Lay-Up: (D)(F)(G)(M)(R)(V) ((G)(V) once in a blue)

East New York Yard: (J)(Z)

East New York Yard Lay-Up: (L)(M)

Fresh Pond Yard: (M)

Jamaica Yard: (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)

36-38 St Yard: None

36-38 St Yard Lay-Up: (B)(D)(R) (Once in a blue)

In addition, the (C) calls 207th Street home since that's where all the R32s are kept, whereas the (A) and some of the numbered lines ((1), (2), (3)) lay up, I think. I remember seeing R62s and R142s there when I toured the shop.

In addition, the (C) calls 207th Street home since that's where all the R32s are kept, whereas the (A) and some of the numbered lines ((1), (2), (3)) lay up, I think. I remember seeing R62s and R142s there when I toured the shop.

R62s and R142s go there for SMS and stuff like that. As far as I know the only IRT route that lays up trains there is the (1).

I heard from people on here that theres a few sets based out of CIY,but I guess there wrong? :confused:

They're wrong. The (D) is based entirely out of Concourse but lays up trains at CI. Vice versa for the (:).

arent all 98** in service and finished testing?

No, far from it. Out of 9803-9942 only up to 9842 are delivered, and up to 9832 are in service.

They don't have enough R160s to make either yard all R160s, let alone both. Trains can test on any line in the system though, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they showed up on those three lines.

The plan now is for all R160s to go to Jamaica. The R68s are also not getting rehabbed, but they're just going through normal inspection like all cars do.

It doesnt seem like that because it made 2 trips,CI bound and BX bound,and dont forget the one on the weekend. and dont forget some of the R68 went for SMS,so they need replacement sets and these R160's couldve been the temporary replacements.

It was in service... and arent all 98** in service and finished testing?

The R68's got an SMS back in 2006-7, They are not getting SMS, The r46's are currently getting SMS.

Maybe it was an (F) train that got rerouted over the (D) for whatever reason, but the crew changed the sign to avoid confusion?

But I saw that R160 (D) just outside Bay 50th Street on Thursday. The only car I remember is 9834. It was testing. It had those 'R160 Testing' paper signs on the windows.

But I saw that R160 (D) just outside Bay 50th Street on Thursday. The only car I remember is 9834. It was testing. It had those 'R160 Testing' paper signs on the windows.

If it was testing then it doesn't mean R160s are going to the (D). They're not. The car will test on that line for a little while and then enter service on the (E) and (F).

To sum this whole topic up, there is no R160 (D) mystery nor are there 2 sets on the (D). Just because I caught one a while ago doesn't mean that it is still running on the line. And I AM well aware of what I catch and what I don't.

Thank you. I wish everyone would stop getting hype over rolling junk.

I don't think (D) crews are trained to handle those things. Ethier that was an rerouted (N), NIS train going to get washed in the BX or an set burn testing on the (D) for whatever reason. It doesn't make any sense for the (D) to get R160s, its R68s are fine. If they were short most likely they have sent over an CI 68 or an 60FT SMEE...

i dont get it, if the R160s are on the (D) then why isnt there a set in the Bronx and Manhattan but only Brookyn? Or they change from the (N) to the (D)?

Again, R160s don't belong to the (D)!!! The only thing I can see that's reasonable is if the (D) borrowed a set from Coney Island. What were the car numbers on the consist?

Again, R160s don't belong to the (D)!!! The only thing I can see that's reasonable is if the (D) borrowed a set from Coney Island. What were the car numbers on the consist?

Idk and care lol. Leave the (D) with the R68s! Its most likely the only route that didnt change fleet since it got into the (D) in the late 80s.. For the B div.. R62As has been on the (1) and even (9) since too.. The (A) with R44 doesnt count really since it did change during time but kept it..

Its like saying switch the R68 with R68A on the (D).. There is no diffrence on that case. same R68, just mechanically different.

Plus i dont think Concourse can take NTTs yet, there Yard shop doesnt look good for NTT. Not sure and there is the Qualification for the employees.

Archived